• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
I'm pretty sure I will go for a 5700 but think I'm gunna hold off until black Friday. My GPU is working. It's just old and showing its age with the newer titles. I think it's going to be bottle necked by my 4670k

unfortunately it will, old 4 thread cpus dont hold up well in modern games

Associate
I'm pretty sure I will go for a 5700 but think I'm gunna hold off until black Friday.
How much discount do gfx cards get on Black Friday typically? Could be a gamble this year if a disorderly Brexit happens on 31st October and the pound tanks. You should get the 5700 before 31st December to get the free game offer which is another £40 saving. The Vega 56 doesnt qualify for this promo so another reason not to get it

Soldato
How much discount do gfx cards get on Black Friday typically? Could be a gamble this year if a disorderly Brexit happens on 31st October and the pound tanks. You should get the 5700 before 31st December to get the free game offer which is another £40 saving. The Vega 56 doesnt qualify for this promo so another reason not to get it
I don't really know, but everywhere does deals around that time so there will be an offer somewhere. Brexit is a load of tosh to be honest. No one really knows what's going to happen to the price of anything.

Associate
I don't really know, but everywhere does deals around that time so there will be an offer somewhere. Brexit is a load of tosh to be honest. No one really knows what's going to happen to the price of anything.
Lol. I'm meant to flying abroad on 1st November :eek:

Edit: The reason for asking is I can't recall I've ever bought hardware on Black Friday so was genuinely curious if the discounts were decent or not. What's the chances of an i7-9700k dropping to under £300 I wonder? Next to none?

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol. I'm meant to flying abroad on 1st November :eek:

Edit: The reason for asking is I can't recall I've ever bought hardware on Black Friday so was genuinely curious if the discounts were decent or not. What's the chances of an i7-9700k dropping to under £300 I wonder? Next to none?
Haha. Oh. Yeah. I'm away at that point too. Not back til the 5th. Black Friday discounts can be good and can be turd but it's worth a wait that's for sure of no need to buy anything in the next month

Associate
Been trying to flash my 56 to 64 yesterday, on either BIOS i get a device mismatch error. Tried different ATI flash tool version with same outcome.. didnt have this issue flashing my 480, anybody got any ideas?

Soldato
I have recently upgraded and my vega 56 is now paired with a ryzen 3600x and 16gb of good memory.

i literally couldn’t be happier - my system munches through everything at 1080p - well chuffed

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I have recently upgraded and my vega 56 is now paired with a ryzen 3600x and 16gb of good memory.
i literally couldn’t be happier - my system munches through everything at 1080p - well chuffed

I would be surprised that it couldn't munch through 1440p also. With RIS and other tweaks it should be clearing 60 fps undervolted with slight oc.

Soldato
Hi,

I had a play around with my 56 Pulse again last night and managed to get it to sit just above 1600MHZ in game which has made a noticeable difference to frame rates but at the cost of 250W and mid 70c's

Is the temp and power draw OK?

I was considering selling up for a 5700XT but its hard to say what performance gain I will get with mine at the above settings

Last edited:
Associate
I was a bit surprised today to find a lack of disassembly guides for the vega 56 pulse. It should be straight forward, of course, but there is nothing specific, just a tear down of the vega nano pcb, disassembly of other Pulse model cards, nothing for the vega 56 specifically. Am I googling wrong? Can anyone provide a link with pictures or maybe a video of a v56 pulse tear down/repaste?

Associate
Hi,

I had a play around with my 56 Pulse again last night and managed to get it to sit just above 1600MHZ in game which has made a noticeable difference to frame rates but at the cost of 250W and mid 70c's

Is the temp and power draw OK?

I was considering selling up for a 5700XT but its hard to say what performance gain I will get with mine at the above settings

Totally ok! I've got my MSI Airboost OC at 1600 with 1050mv and 50%+ power. I've only seen 250w once and that was under the most extreme stress test (can't remember which of the softwares), but gaming I'm usually around 200w. (And I'm on a 650watt power supply).

Associate

I too have recently upgraded to a 3600 and 16gb 3200 cl14 and my vega 56 still munches through everything. I don't really have a need to push my vega 56 but perhaps I will got round to having a go once I get my mobo back.

Soldato
Totally ok! I've got my MSI Airboost OC at 1600 with 1050mv and 50%+ power. I've only seen 250w once and that was under the most extreme stress test (can't remember which of the softwares), but gaming I'm usually around 200w. (And I'm on a 650watt power supply).

Hmm doesnt sound that ok, mine jumps to 250W as soon as I start running Heaven and it stays there. Seems quite high although its completely stable I might back it off a bit

Associate
Been trying to flash my 56 to 64 yesterday, on either BIOS i get a device mismatch error. Tried different ATI flash tool version with same outcome.. didnt have this issue flashing my 480, anybody got any ideas?
Did you manage to get there in the end? If not, I'll try to recall how I managed it.

Associate
Not tried again since i posted about it..
Do this at your own risk! The below process is from what I recall doing a while ago, so I hope it's accurate.

Ensure you take all the usual precautionary measures such as not overwriting the default BIOS, backup the original BIOS, etc. For the BIOS file to be flashed, make sure you've extracted it from any zipped folders and save it to the ATIFlash folder.

I used version 2.84 of ATIFlash, but it was a while ago so not sure if Windows 10 updates have changed anything.

Using command prompt in administrator mode, navigate to the folder with ATIFlash and new BIOS file, then enter the following command:
ATIFlash.exe -f -p 0 nameofbiosfile
"0" represents the 1st PCIe slot, so make sure you change this depending on which slot your GPU is in.
"nameofbiosfile" must be changed to the full name of the BIOS file you'll be flashing to the GPU (including the file extension".

After a successful BIOS flash, do a clean reinstall of the GPU drivers.

Back
Top Bottom