Worthwhile £400 upgrade from a 4790 non K?

Caporegime
Currently got an Asus Z97 Pro Wi-Fi, i7 4790 (non K) 32Gb DDR3 and a Zotac 1080ti Amp Extreme, I have a 4K display.

Wondering if upgrading would bring worthwhile improvements? My current setup serves me well although I’m aware the CPU is holding the 1080ti back a bit.

My budget would be no more than £400, - this is for the CPU (and cooler) 16Gb RAM and a board, everything else will migrate from the old rig - ideally less, looking for high single core speed as I use FSX (Flight Simulator X) which isn’t optimised for dual / quad core CPUs, otherwise I play Battlefield 4 and GTA V, I’ve also got an Oculus Rift CV1.

I currently have 10 drives in my machine so I don’t want a board with few SATA connectors.

Currently thinking maybe an i5 8700k based setup but open to suggestions if indeed it’s really worth the bother for the budget.

Thanks. :)

Soldato
Currently got an Asus Z97 Pro Wi-Fi, i7 4790 (non K) 32Gb DDR3 and a Zotac 1080ti Amp Extreme, I have a 4K display.

Wondering if upgrading would bring worthwhile improvements? My current setup serves me well although I’m aware the CPU is holding the 1080ti back a bit.

My budget would be no more than £400, - this is for the CPU (and cooler) 16Gb RAM and a board, everything else will migrate from the old rig - ideally less, looking for high single core speed as I use FSX (Flight Simulator X) which isn’t optimised for dual / quad core CPUs, otherwise I play Battlefield 4 and GTA V, I’ve also got an Oculus Rift CV1.

I currently have 10 drives in my machine so I don’t want a board with few SATA connectors.

Currently thinking maybe an i5 8700k based setup but open to suggestions if indeed it’s really worth the bother for the budget.

Thanks. :)

wait till their new Flight Sim comes out or they release recommended Specs. have a feeling DX12 will be pushed hard and will be first Flight Sim Or any Sim to take advantage of Multi cores/threads. looking at it already and the scope it will be.

Soldato

I'm not sure you will see any significant improvement from a new CPU. New CPUs have gone for more cores over more speed. But 10 drives? You might see some performance benefit from rationalising them to just a few; you will see reduced power and less heat and noise.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £308.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Caporegime
OP
wait till their new Flight Sim comes out or they release recommended Specs. have a feeling DX12 will be pushed hard and will be first Flight Sim Or any Sim to take advantage of Multi cores/threads. looking at it already and the scope it will be.
Probably not much of an issue, whilst I’m sure I’ll rush out and buy it, it’ll be a number of years before I migrate over fully to the new sim from FSX, I’ve done this previously with FS 2002,2004 and FSX due to the number of add ons I’ve accumulated over the years, by the time I fully migrate to this new version I’ll probably be upgrading my hardware again regardless.

I'm not sure you will see any significant improvement from a new CPU. New CPUs have gone for more cores over more speed. But 10 drives? You might see some performance benefit from rationalising them to just a few; you will see reduced power and less heat and noise.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £308.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)
I’m not solely bothered about single core speed, that only really applies to FSX, if I’d see a benefit from changing to more cores with titles that do make use of multi cores (which would be most others in my collection) then great. :)

A combination of not wanting to have 10Tb sat in one place and budget rules something like that out for me although I agree I do need to trim the number of drives. :o :D

Soldato
NAS is way forward :D

Non K verison of your Chip runs 3.8ghz all cores and 4ghz Single core.

If you went for Rzyzen you'd be looking at 4.3-4ghz single core and 4.2ghz all core. Intel you can push 5ghz single or all core speed whether that be 6 core i5, 8 core i7 or 8 core and 16 thread i9

Seems like ryzen would give much above your intel but IPC has been improved and SMT is far better then Intel HT . But, wouldn't touch ryzen 6 core, not coming from 4 core i7- would want to double your cores personally, nor would I touch 9900k as over priced and little over the 9700k.

just a shame Ryzne 3700x prices have crept up and intels 9700k can be £330 at one moment and £400 the next!

Back
Top Bottom