Intel upgrade for gaming, streaming and video editting

Associate
Hi everyone,

I am looking to upgrade my i5-4690K that I put together in around 2013.

I'd like to stick with Intel please, and recently been doing more streaming and editing for YouTube. From other posts I'm reading the i9-9900K would be better equipped to handle this due to having access to more threads than say the i7-9700K. Since I'm looking for some future proofing as well, the i9 makes a bit more sense to me even if some of it might be overkill for the rest of my setup.

My retained kit (plus the usual extras) will be...
  • NZXT 440
  • MSI 1080 GTX Gaming X+
  • AOC G2460PG 1080p GSync monitor
I have a Corsair RM750, but it was from back in 2013. Since I'm going to a new CPU and Mobo, would it be best to buy a new one or will it suffice? I don't want to risk any issues if they have an expected lifespan.

At this point I'm leaning towards...
  • Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
  • Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail
I also considered the Gigabyte boards, but I've always had ASUS so that's the only reason I'm suggesting it. I don't need onboard Wifi, but I do always need a lot of USB's. Is there any reason to go the Gigabyte route over ASUS for this CPU? Looking to get the same out of it for the same money. Don't really want to push £200 for a board, but if it will drastically improve things for a couple of pounds more I'm open to it.

RAM is something I've never been very good at. Can you give me some suggestions on the DDR4 type that would give me the best performance. I'm hearing 3200 mentioned a lot, but I have no clue so any help here would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing 16Gb is a good amount in this day and age.

Am I best going for a fan cooler on the CPU, or going for an AIO. Never had an AIO before, but given my NZXT 440 case, whats the suggestions here?

Thanks guys and girls, your help and opinions are most appreciated.

Soldato
intel 1080p 144hz + gaming

Gigabtye's aorus have the best Z390 boards without question, cheaper then asus and offer more

UK RMA vs EU , wifi included at same price

vrm tier list
https://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=250662&d=1548963030

Strix rated to 200w-250w , Aorus 250w and above

Strix is 8x SiC639 50amps =400A
and Pro is 12x SiC634 50amps =600A

Much better to handle 9900k at 5ghz
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £406.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)

saving cash - Z390 elite doesn't have wifi but samr VRM set up and is £170 mark
Total: £180.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)
even cheaper and same VRM Tier as the strix but a lot cheaper
Total: £143.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)

gigabyte firmly owned z390 lineup - overkill. so much that 90% of the aorus line up was the same haha. x570 the gave them differing VRMs

intel isn't as ram speed critical as ryzen but faster you can give it, specially at 1080p the better!!!!​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you very much orbitalwalsh.

Sounds like the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite Intel Z390 is the one for me then I think. I do like a saving where possible. :)

Reference the RAM. This caught my eye as being affordable, but very low timings and with great reviews. Would this be a good choice considering gaming/streaming/editing?
  • TEAM GROUP EDITION 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT - BLACK/
Any suggestions on cooling? I've already got my Corsair Air Series case fans in, but I'm not sure about CPU cooler. I've heard Noctua NH-D15 banded about, I think it will fit the H440, but would it fit against the above RAM?
Would I be better going for an AIO (any suggestions) or should I avoid for any reason with the i9-9900k?

Many thanks

Soldato
From other posts I'm reading the i9-9900K would be better equipped to handle this due to having access to more threads than say the i7-9700K.

If cores are your thing, you might look at the just-launched Intel i9-10xxx CPUs for even more cores. OCUK don't appear to have them listed.

Soldato
If cores are your thing, you might look at the just-launched Intel i9-10xxx CPUs for even more cores. OCUK don't appear to have them listed.

$550 for 10 cores meant to hit 5ghz.. have a feeling OCUK and other resellers won't list or list high till older stock clears or Intel rebates them :(

Intel may get some sales with cheaper boards and cheaper 18 cores. New socket TRX aren't looking cheap 4 full PCIe4 lanes and m.3 with full PCIe4 bandwidth , ouch

Associate
OP
Thanks very much guys, I think I'm going to go with...
  • Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail £479.99
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard £179.99
  • Team Group 8Pack Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/ £134.99
Was going to have the Elite, but its out of stock now. The Pro is pretty much the same and just £10 more at the moment so thats OK.

Just need to decide on the CPU cooler now, then I can hopefully place my order tomorrow.

Any suggestions on the best cooler to go for the i9-9900k? I have an NZXT H440 so it needs to fit in that and with the memory I listed.
Any thoughts on standard fan like the Noctua or a suggested AIO solution for my case?

Thanks everyone, I'm not great at this side of things. Thank god I only have to do this every good couple of years haha.

Soldato
Thanks very much guys, I think I'm going to go with...
  • Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail £479.99
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard £179.99
  • Team Group 8Pack Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/ £134.99
Was going to have the Elite, but its out of stock now. The Pro is pretty much the same and just £10 more at the moment so thats OK.

Just need to decide on the CPU cooler now, then I can hopefully place my order tomorrow.

Any suggestions on the best cooler to go for the i9-9900k? I have an NZXT H440 so it needs to fit in that and with the memory I listed.
Any thoughts on standard fan like the Noctua or a suggested AIO solution for my case?

Thanks everyone, I'm not great at this side of things. Thank god I only have to do this every good couple of years haha.

Total: £194.80 (includes shipping: £9.90)

£132 ram... rather get this

Total: £372.67 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Associate
(At work and can't remember my account details to log back in, found I had another account)

Reference the RAM, so should the MHz be treated as more important than the CAS timings then? I looked at the other one because of the very low timings (14-14-14-31), and may have incorrectly assumed that's why it had such good reviews. I thought I remembered those timings being more important last time I did this.

Is that not the case then? Should I go for as high MHZ as I can, regardless of the CAS?

Thanks again orbitalwalsh, much appreciated.

Soldato
(At work and can't remember my account details to log back in, found I had another account)

Reference the RAM, so should the MHz be treated as more important than the CAS timings then? I looked at the other one because of the very low timings (14-14-14-31), and may have incorrectly assumed that's why it had such good reviews. I thought I remembered those timings being more important last time I did this.

Is that not the case then? Should I go for as high MHZ as I can, regardless of the CAS?

Thanks again orbitalwalsh, much appreciated.

with ryzen, that mattered more, specially with Zen1 1*** and 2*** . Ryzen 3000 matters with 12-16 core units more then current 6/8 core.

Ideally you'd like to get the best of both , but you shouldn't notice masses of difference with say 3400hz CL16 and 3400hz CL14 with intel .

thought you might like the 32gb for video editing etc or the faster 4000hz kit for same price , might need to dail speed back to 3866hz though

Associate
Excellent. Appreciate your considerations there orbitalwalsh thank you.

I checked and I think the Dark Rock Pro is supposed to sit 175mm and my H440 case has a clearance of 180mm. If I understand that right, is 5mm enough space or does it need more?

Also, that one looks to be massive in size so do you think it will overlap the ram slots?

Associate
One think to bear in mind that your Old PSU might not have all the power cables required for the new motherboards, most will require now 1x24/1x8/1x4 or even 2x8, so check this against your PSU.

Soldato
Excellent. Appreciate your considerations there orbitalwalsh thank you.

I checked and I think the Dark Rock Pro is supposed to sit 175mm and my H440 case has a clearance of 180mm. If I understand that right, is 5mm enough space or does it need more?

Also, that one looks to be massive in size so do you think it will overlap the ram slots?

Cooler would go over the ram , most dual towers do. Most ram kits should fit under.
Cooler will be fine in your case

Associate
OP
One think to bear in mind that your Old PSU might not have all the power cables required for the new motherboards, most will require now 1x24/1x8/1x4 or even 2x8, so check this against your PSU.
Ah right. Thank you, I will check that tomorrow. Its a Corsair RM750 that I have but it is an old one. Back from when I upgraded in 2013.

Cooler would go over the ram , most dual towers do. Most ram kits should fit under.
Cooler will be fine in your case
Many thanks again orbitalwalsh, your input has been invaluable. Really do appreciate the help.

Soldato
Ah right. Thank you, I will check that tomorrow. Its a Corsair RM750 that I have but it is an old one. Back from when I upgraded in 2013.

Many thanks again orbitalwalsh, your input has been invaluable. Really do appreciate the help.

If your still under warranty then your good personality.

Just like AIO/CLC units, you replace them when warranty goes as them two can do the most damage , power surge or water leak etc

Back
Top Bottom