Road Cycling

Soldato
Hi everyone. I need some help/advice.

My 'winter' hack is a BMC Grandfondo 02 from 2014/15 which has post mount type type disc calipers. I've used 785's with 160mm rotors to date.
Id like to know if:
1) is there any chance that I can move over to flat mount? links to pics below.
2) is a post mount just a post mount? finding spares/replacements of 785's is getting hard but it seems like there are MTB types still around. M820, M640, M9100 look like post mount types but for MTB. For whatever reason, i'm looking for the latest and greatest piston design.

https://imgur.com/yIKxpEK
https://imgur.com/YbPnBEz

Soldato
you can fit post mount calipers to a flat mount with an adapter, but not the inverse.

The M820 "Saint" is a DH racing brake, probably best avoided.

seems that mtb calipers will work with a road lever no problem provided you stick to the two-piston ones and avoid the 4 piston DH ones. It makes sense, if you've already got a bunch of reliable, well-honed brake caliper designs, why make more? Equivalences of quality:

XTR = Dura Ace
Deore XT = Ultegra
SLX = 105
Deore = Tiagra

the awkward lump in the middle is caused by the fact that SLX used to be a groupset called Deore LX until one day they decided to make that a touring groupset instead....

Soldato
EDIT: Saytan beat me!

Changing Shifters & Calipers?

https://www.reddit.com/r/bikewrench...himano_hydraulic_road_levers_compatible_with/

You could use MTB post mount calipers with your road 685 levers... Think the Saints come post mount? Some of them are multiple piston if that's what you're after, or are you after more aero/modern flat mount road calipers?

I've heard Post->Flat adaptors mentioned but not Flat->Post - https://cyclingtips.com/2018/05/complete-faq-to-road-disc-brakes/#buying_basics

'Post-mount calipers can be installed for use on some flat-mount frames; however, adapters for going the other way aren’t generally available.'

Soldato
You can't fit flat calipers on a post bike because they're designed to sit closer to the fork/frame than a post caliper, and an adapter would only cause them to sit even further away.

Post is basically the standard on MTB because it easily allows for the 180 and 200mm rotors a lot of people use, on a road bike where a 160 is bordering on overkill, flat is ideal

Soldato
Changed my saddle and gave it a bit of a tweak.

I have been riding a Selle San Marco Aspide Protek which is quite a narrow saddle with a slight wave shape and a cutout. New one is a Prologo Dimension, which is a more stubby nose like the Spesh Power and Pro Stealth with a slightly larger cut out, dropped nose and a little kick at the rear.

I started with the rear of the saddle in the same location as the old one but quickly moved the saddle forwards 15mm ish to compensate for the short nose as it felt too far back.

Then several tweaks on the angle, hard to tell on the turbo, but when trying to ride with no hands it gives an idea, too steep and feel like your sliding forwards.

Difficult to measure the angle as the rear of most saddles where you don’t sit kicks up a touch.

I did a Zwift race which killed me, got a little numbness after 30 mins on the rivet; I was getting tired and placing more weight on the saddle and moving onto the nose. No other rubbing which I was getting with my old one. I never have numbness issues on the road it’s just confined to the turbo which is always a slightly different position on the bike.

Anyway I will need several rides on and off the road to shake it down. I don’t think it’s the Goldilocks saddle (does this exist!) but I do think it’s an improvement.

Soldato
Anyway I will need several rides on and off the road to shake it down. I don’t think it’s the Goldilocks saddle (does this exist!) but I do think it’s an improvement.
I've been through many saddles the last 6-7 years searching for Goldilocks. Currently on Spesh Power and not convinced I'm there but it's certainly the best for me so far. A big 6h ride like last weekend even on my previous Goldilocks would've left me with at least 1 saddle sore, but nothing from the Power. Took me several days/a week of tweaking to find it's position, just due to the different shape & snub nose. The others I could find position easily, like maybe 2-3 tries max. The worst I have had from it is very tender sit bones, as if it's slightly too firm for me, but I'd rather that than saddle sores. I do tend to sit quite heavily when I'm tired.

I started off with narrow fairly flat saddles, as I have large quads 'standard' type saddles I would rub quite a bit. Standard saddles my Giant & Carrera came with, then Charge Spoon before I settled on the Arione and just put up with sores when riding more than 3-4 hours. When I got my Diverge it came with a Specialized Phenom, which is quite wide with a cutout. It was like a revelation, far more comfortable and although I still got sores on longer rides I was far more comfortable. I got one for the turbo bike and it was horrible - my riding style & sitting position probably more 'extreme' when inside (less movement, either sat up more or leaning forwards). But I rode it outside for 3+ years. For indoor I tried the Selle Italia Gel Flow which I rode for a good few months, then the Arione Open and didn't find much difference. Several of my clubmates by that time had switched to the Spesh Power but I couldn't justify the cost. I picked up a cheap S/H one with quite a big scuff on 1 side and loved it. Bought the cheapest version new for my 'outside' bike and it was different. Far more firm... So that's on the turbo and I'm using the scuffed one on my Diverge.

The one I'm using outside looks like the 'Expert' with the one inside being the cheaper 'Comp'. The Power Arc (latest iteration of the Expert?) is currently a great price on Sigma. The grey/hyper green/yellow one. I'm really tempted as my frame is one of the few that colour matches and I hadn't seen them for less than £100 before, even the original Power! :o :D

Good read here about snub nose saddles: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/10/specialized-power-vs-pro-stealth-stub-nose-saddle-comparison-review/

Soldato
Saddles are such a personal thing, I have Fabric Scoop/Charge equivalent on most of my bikes, then a Selle Italia SLR Lite carbon thing on my Canyon CX bike, I always thought I'd change it but I get on just fine so have left it on there. I did used to get some sores, but since changing to the muc off chamois cream my undercarriage has been fine, although get the occasional issue if I have TT's in quick succession in the middle of the summer.

Sigma aren't on cashback that i'm aware of.

Soldato
Maybe it's not just me being a pansy with an overly sensitive undercarriage...! :o ;)

Sort/pad type has the largest difference to me if not changing saddle, certainly for usual couple of hour riding. Longer rides I'm always in my 'best' shorts anyway and I've always used the same chamois cream (assos)

Soldato
@xdcx Why so serious CTT!

You and the first place guy are Scottish but because you're team isn't it doesn't count?

I've become really good at eating German kebabs and hotdogs this week, not so much on the bike :D

Don't get me started on saddles, I've dropped the nose of my Prologo Zero and slid it forward a little. Seems better but I'm still not in the 'this is super comfy' zone rather it's just not sore. I can feel the thickness or shape difference of my endura chamois to my madisons shorts. Really annoys me.

Soldato
Did 2 hours on the road, seemed pretty good.

28s I went for 68 front and 75 rear. Nice comfy ride and felt plenty grippy.

Hplusson Archetype 27.8mm measured width.

Pacenti Forza 29.3mm measured width.

The rattling I was getting from my Ultegra cassette earlier in the year, I took the plastic spacers out and replaced them with metal (sram) and it seems to have reduced.

Also need a new barrel adjuster for my rear brake. £12 each! Can buy a new set of Force22 callipers front and rear with pads for £60!

Last edited:
Soldato

You and the first place guy are Scottish but because you're team isn't it doesn't count?

Total shambles mate.
It's not as bad as the North Scottish.... I won it and watched my gold medal go to some lad that finished in 5th place overall.

I live, work, train, race in the North of Scotland. But due to my team not being reg'd there I am not eligible to win the event. Yet, if someone lives, trains and races in London was registered to a North club, they could win the North Champs....

Same thing at CTT district champs. It's done on club and not nationality or residency. Which is utterly stupid. So as you see, the lad who won doesn't actually win. And the lad (me) that was told he was 3rd actually can't be 3rd because despite being born and bred Scottish he rides for an English team.

Then at the Scottish Cycling national yesterday, a junior won it by a country mile and set a new course record.... but he cannot win, because the junior category is not a championship category. So the "winner" and national champion of Scotland actually finished 2nd......

Your North Scotland Champ is a guy that came 5th.
Your CTT ditrict champ is a guy who came 2nd.
Your Scottish National Champ is a guy who came 2nd.

The most hilarious thing about all this summed up? Sock length checks and the comm getting proper arsey yesterday about riders not wearing club kit on the podium because it's not good for the image of the sport.... HAHAHAHAHA. give me strength min!!!

Soldato
Can I just check that all shimano 11 speed derailleurs are compatible with shifters irrelevant of the generation ie r8000 derailleur on an RS785 shifter should be fine?

Soldato

Your North Scotland Champ is a guy that came 5th.
Your CTT ditrict champ is a guy who came 2nd.
Your Scottish National Champ is a guy who came 2nd.
That is an absolute joke. And BC & CTT wonder why nobody takes them seriously. Hilarious! But I guess they're only really on par with ASO.

Remind me again why you ride for an english team? I don't see many of your rides below the border, never mind your races.

Also need a new barrel adjuster for my rear brake. £12 each! Can buy a new set of Force22 callipers front and rear with pads for £60!
Last time I got any I think I got Lifeline ones from CRC for less than half that. Still seemed utterly overpriced! And that was before the Wiggle take over... Let me know what else you find as I do also kinda need one.

Good job with the 28's, although still sounds quite high to me and that's quite a difference in widths! :o

Can I just check that all shimano 11 speed derailleurs are compatible with shifters irrelevant of the generation ie r8000 derailleur on an RS785 shifter should be fine?

Should be. I've used 5800 & 6800 with my RS785 no problem. Wouldn't expect a problem going from 6800->r8000 when I next change.

Back
Top Bottom