The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
Our mortgage applications (there are two mortgages as we are keeping ours and renting it out while buying the new one) went in a week ago and already feeling impatient(!).

Really frustrating that although they’ve had tax returns for the last X years, they’ve asked for a letter from my accountant to confirm income is as stated in tax returns - seems an odd request!

Also requesting stupid extra documents like further copies of a payslip because 74p was cut off the copy. Sigh...fingers crossed for more progress next week.

Soldato
To be fair, it may have nothing to do with the buyers themselves. If it is anything like ours the solicitors ask queries without consulting the clients. Ours have asked for evidence of covenant permission for extension, conservatory, building regs for the boiler, extension etc, certificates for the electrics and more. They've also asked for indemnity policy to be paid for by the seller as there seems to be no documentation at all for anything.
Why would they consult the clients before asking the questions? The questions are for the clients benefit. If they aren't answered sufficiently it may then be up to the clients whether or not they accept things as they are, but only if they are cash buyers. If they are getting a mortgage the questions are being asked for the lenders benefit as much as anything.

Whether you think they are being nitpicky or whatever is irrelevant they are doing a job.

You can be damn sure that if they didn't ask those questions you'd be complaining when it comes up on sale!

Associate
Where was I complaining about them asking the questions? I was just trying to point out that the buyer wouldn’t be the cause for them.

What I would have liked, in my instance, was for my solicitor to advise the need of indemnity policies and to have been given the option to choose whether to pay myself or ask the seller to pay.

Soldato
We're meant to have the money for our completion with the solicitors by 4pm today. Got an email from them an hour ago saying "we've made an error with our calculations for completion, and you therefore need to transfer £10,500 to us in the next 90 minutes in order to complete on time. Sorry."

The ******* cheek of them. Can't believe it. I was then told it was my fault for not realising.

Soldato
We're meant to have the money for our completion with the solicitors by 4pm today. Got an email from them an hour ago saying "we've made an error with our calculations for completion, and you therefore need to transfer £10,500 to us in the next 90 minutes in order to complete on time. Sorry."

The ******* cheek of them. Can't believe it. I was then told it was my fault for not realising.

What?

Would all the money not need transferred at the time of completion/exhange? I presume this is England, as I transferred mhy money over to the lawyer in the morning, and she transferred the money to the sellers lawyer! I'm confused as to why yours is wanting £10 grand more!

Soldato
What?

Would all the money not need transferred at the time of completion/exhange? I presume this is England, as I transferred mhy money over to the lawyer in the morning, and she transferred the money to the sellers lawyer! I'm confused as to why yours is wanting £10 grand more!

The transferred amount (to the vendor) is comprised of a two mortgages running concurrently, equity being released through a let to buy mortgage on another property, and cash coming from me. When we amended our offer on the property - due to work that needed to be done - we received a new mortgage offer which was £10.5k less than the original one.

Having looked back at various different calculations and statements we've been sent, it seems that the solicitor has been using both the old and new mortgage figures at different points.

Associate
Just had my solicitor advise completion date is set for 25th of this month! Cannot wait now to get the keys

Best wishes for the move. My completion went through earlier this week! Picked up the keys, wandering around without the agent, so you can really look and plan for the future is a great feeling!

Associate
Had our searches back and our buyers mortgage should hopefully be approved next week. Everything seems out of order but hoping to push ahead quickly.

Hating this process with a passion. So many milestones and waiting on other people and unknowns.

Our searches turned by BGS
Data showing potential natural ground instability and trying to decide to survey or not. Passed back to sellers for now for info on what they were aware of. House is 50 years old. No sign of cracking. Other houses on street we are aware had some subsidence but at other end of street where it used to be an industrial estate in the 20s as per drawings we have been given. Our end appeared to be clean land though.

Worth a survey? Search shows a moderate risk but when searching the exact terms used it appears very common based on BGS data.

Associate
First time buyer, my salary varies from month to month due to commission.
Earlier this year in April I had an extraordinary 3 months prior so decided to take advantage of those payslips for maximum affordability, searched for a little while and put down an offer on an end of terraced house which got accepted.

Fast forward since April and the sellers + Purplebricks have been nothing short of a nightmare, incompetence plus lack of communication has been killer. I was being told the sellers had not found an onwards purchase and are looking for a specific bungalow. I have everything in place, both my mortgage lenders and solicitors are friends of friends and are ready to rock. My mortgage offer expires in December.

I had recently given up and have been looking at other properties this month, my affordability being some £50k less than April but fortunately I am getting help from parents to allow the same budget as April (lucky).

I then get a response from Purplebricks to advise the sellers have found somewhere and are looking to complete ASAP. Their sellers are moving to a new build so the chain ends there. There is still a chance we may be able to complete before December, my mortgage lender says we can extend up to 15 days if needed.

Since April I have been looking at more properties and gained a bit more understanding as to what I want, after some thought I would prefer to live in another location but can only afford leasehold flats there.
I could hold out for the property I already have in motion as there is a chance it may still complete, but its not in the location I prefer now, which is only 10 mins drive out but importantly its in an area I have lived for the past 15 years so I'm worried it won't feel like I have moved (same old roads to commute etc).

The house has:
  • A garden
  • No maintenance costs unlike a flat
  • Parking right outside the property
  • Not my first choice in location anymore

The flat has
  • Great location, conveniently in the middle of everything I need (Gym, work, train station, supermarkets)
  • £1,000 maintenance a year
  • Is a flat so people live above me and communal entrance (fairly new build)
  • Parking in a car park
  • Ensuite bathroom

Its really messing my brains up, it basically comes down to either choosing a house in the same location I have always lived and commuted from, or choosing a flat in a better location but living in a flat.

Associate
@Mr Jack @Dolly no doubt if both properties were in the same location it would obvious which is more exclusive.

Compromises of a flat:
  • No garden
  • Communal entrance
  • Parking in a car park rather than driveway
  • Annual maintenance costs
In my case I would need to decide if location is more important than the above.

Back
Top Bottom