What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Judy

By way of a work thing, as it isn't something I would pay to go an see, but turned out to be a pretty good and interesting film, and I say that as someone whose knowledge of Judy Garland begins and ends with "she was Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz".

6/10

Soldato
I want a film that puts you on the edge of your seat, something you cant wait to see what happens next... didn't get that at all with Joker.

But you knew what to expect, right? What was it you thought was going to put you on the edge of your seat? It was clear from reviews and trailers that this wasn't going to be some huge DC/Batman blockbuster full of CGI. You read like you wanted something that just wasn't going to be. So I guess the film was never going to please you anyway.

Man of Honour
So you gave it 9.5/10 based on acting alone?

Nope, the film was superbly crafted with a hard story line. Whilst it's almost impossible to emphasise with the character, there becomes an attachment and understanding what lead to his actions.

I'm not a great fan of Marvel or DC films so I was able to detach myself from these and possibly enjoy it more.

Associate
But you knew what to expect, right? What was it you thought was going to put you on the edge of your seat? It was clear from reviews and trailers that this wasn't going to be some huge DC/Batman blockbuster full of CGI. You read like you wanted something that just wasn't going to be. So I guess the film was never going to please you anyway.
Nope, the film was superbly crafted with a hard story line. Whilst it's almost impossible to emphasise with the character, there becomes an attachment and understanding what lead to his actions.

I'm not a great fan of Marvel or DC films so I was able to detach myself from these and possibly enjoy it more.

I never mentioned DC/Marvel...The film was dull and boring, the first hour was like watching paint dry, I seriously considered walking out it was that boring.

But being as you mentioned DC, the Dark Knight Joker was much more fun and chaotic portrayal of Joker.

Soldato
I never mentioned DC/Marvel...The film was dull and boring, the first hour was like watching paint dry, I seriously considered walking out it was that boring.

But being as you mentioned DC, the Dark Knight Joker was much more fun and chaotic portrayal of Joker.

It was dull and boring to you as you expected something that it never set out to be, in the sense of full on action and chaos, with lovely CGI explosions maybe.

The film was never sold as that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I wasn't implying you had mentioned it :)

That's the beauty of film, music, photography or any art form for that matter.. it's totally subjective..

Soldato

Maybe I'm missing something but I find JP Joker to be way better than the one we saw in The Dark Knight. They're going to be different as the Joker in TDK was already established and in Joker we are seeing him become the Joker - He's no criminal mastermind at this point.

But towards the end of 'Joker' for me he acts more like what I expect Joker to be like, if he was real. Heath Ledger's was a little bit too comical for me

Just a shame this film wont get any sequels (unless money really, really talks) as I'd love to see more of this version of him

Caporegime
I really hope there isn't a sequel. Mainly because I am not a fan of the way Hollywood milks all these things. I would rather it be a one time hit which becomes a classic than comparing Joker after Joker.

As much as I enjoyed this version of the Joker, the main, Batman is his main rival and that has already been done incredibly well. Best left alone IMO

Soldato
John Wick part 2 last night. Was pretty entertaining but I think they leaned into the OTT side of things a bit too far at times, could do with dialing it back just a little.

Fight scenes were a bit too telegraphed, and the judo throws are over done!

Still, I wanted a bit of brain off entertainment and it delivered. 6.5/10.

Associate
Gemini Man (2019) - 5/10

A film that would have benefitted if it’s biggest surprise hadn’t been spoilt by the trailers, the posters or the title of the film. As it is, it’s a run of the mill action film with a great vehicle chase scene and some beautiful globe-hopping locations, but not much else.

The plot is very basic and labours what it has to say and everyone’s reaction to events seemed a bit too normal. The characters fill their roles well, but the pacing felt a bit slow and the blatant product placement was appalling.

Soldato
Just finished Get Out. Not the sort of film I'd usually watch as I'm not a big horror fan, but Mark Kermode had banged on about it enough for me give it a go.

Definitely something a bit different, well directed, good pacing and genuinely creepy early on. Gets a little ridiculous later. Decent though, 7/10.

Soldato
John Wick part 2 last night. Was pretty entertaining but I think they leaned into the OTT side of things a bit too far at times, could do with dialing it back just a little.

I feel like Part 3 improves for the weaker parts of number two.

Man of Honour

Yeah if you can switch off brain and just chill it isn't a bad movie - the over the top side works for the first half but they don't manage to do anything interesting with it in the second half - I'd have preferred something more like the first though where that side of it is more subtle and more of an actual story.

Back
Top Bottom