Dashcams!

Capodecina
Soldato
I posted this thread in response to another where someone has had his car damaged in an accident where there is a dispute over responsibility.
no dashcam?
Get a dashcam . . .
. . . Expensive lesson learnt I will have to get a dash cam fitted . . .
The question is - What DashCam(s) are most effective?

Clearly one needs them back and front; with GPS built-in for date, time and location; ideally ones that give a decent (wide angle) image day and night; that do not obstruct vision too much and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions, based on personal practical experience?

Soldato
Avoid cheap ones as the heat in summer seems to kill them (in my experience). I've been using a Mobius cam for a few years, which is actually an "action cam" with dashcam options. No screen on it but it's tiny so easy to hide. I think it was £60 at the time.

You don't really need GPS.

Underboss
i have a thinkware F770
1080p front and back

they do new models upto 4K front, 2K rear

or you have Blackvue
i dont recommend any others anymore, these 2 are just superb

Thinkware U1000 is £500 front and rear (top of the range)
Thinkware Q800 PRO is £300 ish front and rear
Thinkware F770 is £200 ish front and rear

Soldato
Use the bus if you're that paranoid.

No. A dual-camera - front and rear - dashcam is a must these days. A front and inside camera is a must for Uber drivers and minicab drivers.

Any suggestions, based on personal practical experience?

I have an Aukey DK02.

Today I would get one that integrated with my phone for immediate downloading of video.

Man of Honour
Don't think there is a simple answer to this and what works for one person might not be the best for another depending on their vehicle, how much effort they are prepared to put in to install and balance of features, price and UI complexity.

Associate
I'm using a Blackvue. Always works and is now about five years old so although they are more expensive than a lot of models I think you do get something for the extra money. Plenty of firmware updates as well which probably cannot be said for some manufacturers. The image quality is decent but not amazing thought as the maximum bit rate is a bit low in my opinion.

Underboss
I'm using a Blackvue. Always works and is now about five years old so although they are more expensive than a lot of models I think you do get something for the extra money. Plenty of firmware updates as well which probably cannot be said for some manufacturers. The image quality is decent but not amazing thought as the maximum bit rate is a bit low in my opinion.

yes exactly, mines a good few years old, still working properly :)

Soldato
I have Nextbase 522GW with rear view cameras fitted in both and my wifes cars. Been really impressed with the footage and information they provide. If you play the footage through their player on the PC it shows you the GPS logging on a map and the footage is really clear both day and night. You can pause the footage and easily read number plates still at quite some distance.

The rear cameras were 50% off when I purchased them so with the hardwiring kit they worked out at around £170 per car.

Man of Honour
Agreed... For once I agree with Fox :)

Dashcam is the new fad, I find people with dashcams end up driving worse just to capture the moment and put it on YouTube to get 5 views. It's all a bit over the top and silly

Some definitely do but I think that is a gross generalisation. I've increasingly found it very handy both because so many people drive in a manner that uncaringly puts other people in a bad position but also to analyse and improve my own driving.

Soldato
Don't forget a headcam for when you're away from the car!

Don't be silly. No, rear cameras became a necessity a while back hereabouts thanks to two spates of 'crash for cash' scams. First it was people stopping suddenly and you crashing into them, then they claimed on your insurance. Front dashcams stopped that. But then it was people running into you and claiming you stopped suddenly, and then they claimed on your insurance, for which rear dashcams became required. There was also another scam which was scotched by rear dashcams but I forget what it was.

I've never bothered uploading any dashcam videos to Youtube. I've only once had to save video. And once I only had to tap the camera to change the behaviour of an angry driver.

BTW I've had dashcams for many years.

Soldato
If someone goes in to the back of you they will say they were to close and get the blame, unless they can prove otherwise. That's how crash for cash scams work :p

Back
Top Bottom