• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3700x temps

Associate
Prime 95 will make it go really high and will get 100% load, but gaming you'd never get anywhere near that. Mine gaming is 65 degrees.

Not to further hijack the 3700X temps but ... I just changed the radiator fans for some with good, high static pressure and CFM (Alpenfohn Hi Speed from OCUK) and it knocked 6 degrees off the prime 95 peak. I'm a lot happier with it peaking at 89 than 95! I think there are further airflow improvements to be made, and I do slightly regret going for the Raijintek Thetis Window case. But it's so compact and pretty!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Can hit 93c with Bequiet Dark rock pro after 30 minutes with Prime95, this is one hot little chip.

But idle temps are 35-42c with a room temp of 24-27c on average.

On another build I recently had with Intel 4970k it was hitting 96c with prime 95 after few minutes.

But to note these are all with silent "Silent" fans, you can not hear either PC systems.

I am not worried though, prime 95 is not your usual daily usage and is a worst case situation.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Im using same cooler but im getting much different temps.

Hope this is useful

Impressive, never heard of Cinebench test but a quick google shows its designed to check cpu speed while prime 95 is good for thermal and stressing the cpu.

But I could be off, I don't bench or check figures much anymore.

Ill see if I can get the same 2 programs and test mine out at one point, but my riggs designed a bit differently its designed for silence so not the best air flow and I have high room tempts since its an small office but will be interesting to see results.

Associate
Right just upgraded to a 3700X and x570 taichi. Trouble is that straight off the bat and NO bios tweaks at all and totally stock I am seeing idle temps of 42-44c and some cpu stress temps of 85c!!
Now if I was on air then I would sort of understand, but I'm on a full custom water loop with plenty of rad space. Why are these gen 3 chips so damn hot? My cpu vcore is 1.444 - 1.488. This seems too high for me
and I would say prob the cause of my high temps.

Anyone have any tips to get the temps down?

TrM

TrM

Associate
Right just upgraded to a 3700X and x570 taichi. Trouble is that straight off the bat and NO bios tweaks at all and totally stock I am seeing idle temps of 42-44c and some cpu stress temps of 85c!!
Now if I was on air then I would sort of understand, but I'm on a full custom water loop with plenty of rad space. Why are these gen 3 chips so damn hot? My cpu vcore is 1.444 - 1.488. This seems too high for me

3 things to look at.

1st check background use ryzen master for temps that shows more about the voltages and avarage voltage whilst at idle. Close down all background processes and see if that helps with idle temps a lot of software is stoping the cpu from idling properly Corsair icue etc.

what cpu block are you using ? I had issues with my Corsair one the hydro x cpu block I had to turn the block around the does was off the main water channels as there on the bottom of the cpu not the middle.

The voltage you are seeing at such high levels is at idle and that’s normally for a single core but so many programs and windows itself not showing the right voltages as I said use ryzen master.

Associate

I think AMDs stance is don't worry about it. These CPUs do 1000 self tweaks per second(?), it clocks to max temp headroom so you don't have to do it yourself.

Associate
3 things to look at.

1st check background use ryzen master for temps that shows more about the voltages and avarage voltage whilst at idle. Close down all background processes and see if that helps with idle temps a lot of software is stoping the cpu from idling properly Corsair icue etc.

what cpu block are you using ? I had issues with my Corsair one the hydro x cpu block I had to turn the block around the does was off the main water channels as there on the bottom of the cpu not the middle.

The voltage you are seeing at such high levels is at idle and that’s normally for a single core but so many programs and windows itself not showing the right voltages as I said use ryzen master.

I had a good tinker around last night and one of the things I noticed was that it was running the maximum speed regardless of task, so I used windows balanced plan with some tweaks and now I am currently cloning a hard drive and have about 18 browser windows open
and reported temps of 35-36c and a peak voltage of 1.28-1.30v. The clock speed is more like i'm used to as well and only giving me what I need when I need it. I am using Ryzen master as well now, was prev using HWMonitor and found out that it doesn't play with Ryzen gen 3.
For ref I am using the Phanteks Glacier am4 CPU block and I think it can only go one way on to the CPU block, so might look to change that in the near future. Thanks for your input - Terry

I think AMDs stance is don't worry about it. These CPUs do 1000 self tweaks per second(?), it clocks to max temp headroom so you don't have to do it yourself.

Yep that was the general consensus I got from reading a reddit post by AMD Robert - even coming from a 1600x though I didn't suffer from this crazy high idle temps underwater - seems they are under control now though. Thanks for your input - Terry

R3X

R3X

Soldato
windows balanced plan ? Did you install the Ryzen chipset drivers from AMD site

Under windows 10 going to power settings in classic control panel I get 'AMD Ryzen' Balanced plan

Sounds pretty normal otherwise, many are seeing around 35-45c @ idle and anywhere from 85-95c with prime 95c after a 25 minutes.

I am currently sitting at 38-40c with a room temp of almost 25c, but with Dark Rock pro 4 and very silent case fans.

Associate
windows balanced plan ? Did you install the Ryzen chipset drivers from AMD site

Under windows 10 going to power settings in classic control panel I get 'AMD Ryzen' Balanced plan

Sounds pretty normal otherwise, many are seeing around 35-45c @ idle and anywhere from 85-95c with prime 95c after a 25 minutes.

I am currently sitting at 38-40c with a room temp of almost 25c, but with Dark Rock pro 4 and very silent case fans.
Yeah I did install them but didn't use the Ryzen balanced plan, though I have now.

You see this is what I don't get - you are cooling with air and are getting 38-40c idle and yet I have a 360 rad and a 240 rad in a custom loop and I am only
a few degrees cooler!? Surely I should be running cooler than that and my current ambient is 21c.

And for the life of me, I can't get my head around how my BIOS, without touching anything and all at stock is booting at 1.44v! Is that right!?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Im using same cooler but im getting much different temps.

Hope this is useful

Tried it with cinebench and can hit 77c with silent fan profile, about 75c with full speed fan profile mode on the bequiet with 2 fan coolers on it. Rest of case fans are auto on silent always.

You must have a very good cpu to get 67c ! perhaps it highlights AMDS quality control and why many of us hit 95c under prime or show a big difference in cpu temps overall.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yeah I did install them but didn't use the Ryzen balanced plan, though I have now.

You see this is what I don't get - you are cooling with air and are getting 38-40c idle and yet I have a 360 rad and a 240 rad in a custom loop and I am only
a few degrees cooler!? Surely I should be running cooler than that and my current ambient is 21c.

And for the life of me, I can't get my head around how my BIOS, without touching anything and all at stock is booting at 1.44v! Is that right!?

Not sure about the 1.44v @ boot but there have been plenty of issues with volts and the new Ryzens early on, most got it fixed with the bios updates though so make sure your on the latest one but flash your bios properly and carefully and back up etc

There is also someone who mentioned a page back he bought 2 x 3700x and one hit 29 and the other 39c so its quiet possible we both just got the hotter cpus that many got around here.

But so many factors, many found their heatsink installation was not done correctly or slightly off despite it looking ok. Some found these new Ryzen cpus are not actually flat "flat" so the transfer of heat is not that great.

I just checked again without background apps running I had a virus scan running before, now @ idle I hit 32-33c idle with 5 browser pages open and no AV scan with a room temp of just under 25c.

But yeah something maybe not right with you WC set up perhaps, id wait for other opinions frankly since I have always stuck with air coolers !

Associate
It took me several applications of thermal paste to get it right. The best way turned out to be evenly applying with credit card. Pea method always had much higher temps. Placement of chip let's is important.

Associate
Not sure about the 1.44v @ boot but there have been plenty of issues with volts and the new Ryzens early on, most got it fixed with the bios updates though so make sure your on the latest one but flash your bios properly and carefully and back up etc

There is also someone who mentioned a page back he bought 2 x 3700x and one hit 29 and the other 39c so its quiet possible we both just got the hotter cpus that many got around here.

But so many factors, many found their heatsink installation was not done correctly or slightly off despite it looking ok. Some found these new Ryzen cpus are not actually flat "flat" so the transfer of heat is not that great.

I just checked again without background apps running I had a virus scan running before, now @ idle I hit 32-33c idle with 5 browser pages open and no AV scan with a room temp of just under 25c.

But yeah something maybe not right with you WC set up perhaps, id wait for other opinions frankly since I have always stuck with air coolers !

"most got it fixed with the bios updates though so make sure your on the latest one but flash your bios properly and carefully and back up etc." Yep done that and no difference in "stock" cpu volts, still at 1.44v, though I have manually adjusted down to 1.2v as I was seeing 90c
when running it through prime - redone the test at 1.2v and it is now showing 69c on prime95.

"most got it fixed with the bios updates though so make sure your on the latest one but flash your bios properly and carefully and back up etc" Yeah I have seen elsewhere where there has been a disparity between temps, which imho is not great from a QC point of view to have two identical cpu's have a 10c
discrepancy.

"I just checked again without background apps running I had a virus scan running before, now @ idle I hit 32-33c idle with 5 browser pages open and no AV scan with a room temp of just under 25c.

But yeah something maybe not right with you WC set up perhaps, id wait for other opinions frankly since I have always stuck with air coolers!"
I can't fathom that out at all - once again I beg the question how the hell does an air cooler (albeit a good one) beat the thermals of a custom water loop?
I have had this loop set up identical for my last two cpu's - a 1600x and a 4790k and both have given me exactly what I would expect from a temp point of view. The 3700x has me totally miffed and has me wondering what the hell is going on? Total weirdness from the Taichi x570 booting at 1.44v to the crazy high idling of the actual cpu itself.

Associate
It took me several applications of thermal paste to get it right. The best way turned out to be evenly applying with credit card. Pea method always had much higher temps. Placement of chip let's is important.
Yeah that is what I did - i'm going to re-apply tomorrow and see if there is any changes - normally do the pea size myself, however, I will spread it this time instead.

Back
Top Bottom