Dashcams!

Man of Honour
Dashcams stop you getting done over in crash for cash scams.

I have to wonder sometimes with the way people pull out of a couple of fuel stations near me whether they are trying on crash for cash scam - I think most of it is just lazy, inconsiderate and uncaring driving. The one time I'm 99% sure it was an attempted scam they definitely had second thoughts - as I was driving a large black pickup and had my high-viz on from work still they probably thought I might have been unmarked police or something.

Soldato
If someone goes in to the back of you they will say they were to close and get the blame, unless they can prove otherwise. That's how crash for cash scams work :p
I was just thinking that lol:D. I thought by default anyone hitting your rear end (ooh Err Mrs) had to prove you were at fault, which in theory is impossible as you should always leave a gap.

Soldato
Agreed... For once I agree with Fox :)

Dashcam is the new fad, I find people with dashcams end up driving worse just to capture the moment and put it on YouTube to get 5 views. It's all a bit over the top and silly

Lol, and this is based on your very scientific survey of a portion of the 8 million UK dash cam users? Or...a crass and completely inaccurate, made up generalisation?

Soldato
No it's just my opinion and what I've seen that's it.
Ah right.

I find people without dash cams that persistently try to convince others to not have them by using made up, stupid sarcastic arguments are very boring indeed.

Just my opinion and what I've seen.

Even though I'm being facetious, my "opinion" is still way more factually accurate than yours.

Man of Honour
Rather be boring than spend my life videoing random members of the public to avoid the 1/1000 chance of having to do some annoying insurance admin. Just how many scam accidents are you guys finding yourselves in?!

If there is nothing sinister about dashcam culture why are they illegal in some developed European nations?

Soldato
Dashcams themselves aren't illigal in them. It's laws related to filming the public without permission.

In the UK it's illigal to record audio without permission.

Soldato
Ah right.

I find people without dash cams that persistently try to convince others to not have them by using made up, stupid sarcastic arguments are very boring indeed.

Just my opinion and what I've seen.

Even though I'm being facetious, my "opinion" is still way more factually accurate than yours.

Not persistent at all, probably the first time I ever expressed that point of view. I had a dashcam initially in my car and got rid soon after because it just didn't make sense. If you're happy to have one please continue, don't get your panties in a twist when others don't agree?

Soldato
Rather be boring than spend my life videoing random members of the public to avoid the 1/1000 chance of having to do some annoying insurance admin.

You act like people go round with an 80s camcorder on their shoulder pointing it in people's faces. Outside of Fox's world, and back into reality - most people have them silently recording away and scarcely, if ever remove them from the car to download anything.

Just how many scam accidents are you guys finding yourselves in?!

Are you trained in being obtuse, or are you a natural? Do you, in your heart of hearts, believe this is the only reason why people fit a dashcam?

Why do you wear your seatbelt? How many accidents have you found yourself in? Might as well just cut them out of your car. Waste of time imo.

If there is nothing sinister about dashcam culture why are they illegal in some developed European nations?

Jeez, you almost sound like Donald Trump with this argument, which I have noticed you perpetually bring up, but never reply to anyone when they inform you as to the reason why. TLDR version - Germany/Austria have very stringent privacy laws which hark back to their past. They don't even allow live streamed CCTV in many of their large cities including Berlin, or on public transport. If you want the longer version - just look back to the last thread you mentioned this in where I, and a couple of others, replied to you in full, but that you never acknowledged. I wonder why... :)

Man of Honour
Exactly - because they've seen the bad side of this sort of constant monitoring. Far from excusing our obsession with recording your point further highlights whether we really need to think about whether this is a road we want to go down.

A seatbelt will save my life in the unlikely event of an accident. A dashcam won't. It'll maybe save my excess. Great, better go and buy quadruple dashcams with roof mounted anpr!

Soldato
You act like people go round with an 80s camcorder on their shoulder pointing it in people's faces. Outside of Fox's world, and back into reality - most people have them silently recording away and scarcely, if ever remove them from the car to download anything.
I take it you aren't on social media or YouTube, where people (especially UK cyclists) constantly post videos of someone accidentally going into a lane they aren't supposed to, before laughingly uploading it straight to the Police. Having lived in Germany for many years and coming back during the era CCTV had taken over here it shocks me how easily we've thrown our privacy away in the UK for the sake of likes and online back slapping.

I mean take this thread as example, we all know stockhausen - he'll probably be parked next to a bus lane 24/7 to grab videos so he gets online attention. These are the type of people who use dashcams.

Soldato
I’m just glad that I rarely drive these days. The dashcam culture of entrapment, and making a huge thing of what should be a minor mistake (and the police encouragement of it) is just pathetic.

Soldato
Exactly - because they've seen the bad side of this sort of constant monitoring. Far from excusing our obsession with recording your point further highlights whether we really need to think about whether this is a road we want to go down.

I'm not entirely convinced a comparison between the East German Secret Police's surveillance methods to root out "undesirables", and modern day usage of dashcams in the UK is a valid one?

I mean, is this the real Fox? The same one who used to make arguments that were based around well reasoned logic?

A seatbelt will save my life in the unlikely event of an accident. A dashcam won't. It'll maybe save my excess. Great, better go and buy quadruple dashcams with roof mounted anpr!

A seatbelt will not save your life, but it is an insurance that will help protect you against physical injuries. A dashcam is an insurance, that is very cheap, and in the unlikely event it is needed, could save you hundreds, or even thousands.

Last edited:
Soldato
I take it you aren't on social media or YouTube, where people (especially UK cyclists) constantly post videos of someone accidentally going into a lane they aren't supposed to, before laughingly uploading it straight to the Police. Having lived in Germany for many years and coming back during the era CCTV had taken over here it shocks me how easily we've thrown our privacy away in the UK for the sake of likes and online back slapping.

I mean take this thread as example, we all know stockhausen - he'll probably be parked next to a bus lane 24/7 to grab videos so he gets online attention. These are the type of people who use dashcams.

Yeah, i'm on social media, and i've seen those videos. I've also seen videos where vegans are screaming at people that they're murderers, and students protesting and throwing fire extinguishers off roofs at police, and football fans running riot smashing everything up, and Muslims stabbing people on the streets of London.

The difference is, I'm smart enough to work out that i'm watching the 0.00001% of ****wits in life and that they are not representative of their "group".

It's strange that you should mention how concerned you are about your privacy because of dashcams, yet you think nothing of posting about your life on an online forum (love the Mustang btw), possessing an Android/iPhone which knows your every movement/who your family and friends are/what you like/what you don't like/what your political persuasions are/what illnesses you may have/where you live, and are probably on some sort of social media where pictures of yourself appear and are analysed by face recognition software and everything you look at is analysed and sold to private companies to show you content in order to potentially swing your opinions a la Cambridge Analytica.

But yeh, grrrr, those dashcams are the enemy of privacy!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's his choice to do that though, whereas it's not his choice to appear in a paranoid dashcammers 4k commute feed or to have the once every 10 year error of accidentally missing a bus lane sign submitted to the authorities by said paranoid dashcammer.

Soldato
Not persistent at all, probably the first time I ever expressed that point of view. I had a dashcam initially in my car and got rid soon after because it just didn't make sense. If you're happy to have one please continue, don't get your panties in a twist when others don't agree?

What?

*You're* the one who's come into the thread trying to persuade others not to have them for your, frankly, silly reasons. If people have them or don't have them - it means absolutely nothing to me, but I'm not the one coming into every post on the subject and come out with rubbish about the Stasi to convince people they're contributing to state surveillance - albeit, not necessarily you, but others.

Soldato
Have the insurance companies genuinely offered any premium reduction for DCs, or, is it just marketting , and you could not have achieved same via negotiation, or going elsewhere ? I couldn't find any deals, I thought were worthwhile, anyway, same for driving monitoring 'apps'.

Back
Top Bottom