Climate change: Big lifestyle changes are the only answer

Associate
I think that need short range / city car need to fundamentally change as well as a transport means. I think they should be stripped right back to basics as super light weight devices. Imagine like 4 wheel bike tech and light weight frames / skins. Smaller size, battery powered and more efficient.

You would still have protection from the elements but able to be fit more in a smaller space and less emissions.

I also agree with the idea ofvideo for business calls rather than flying across the world for simple business meetings.

Soldato
There are two outcomes, we can begin to lower the number of people on the planet or we will have wars.

These are basically the only likely outcomes.

Associate
Well the good news is that the birth rate is well below the magic replacement rate (2.1) in all the big polluters (Western Europe 1.6, Uk 1.7, North America 1.8, Eastern Europe 1.8, South East Asia 1.7, Central Asia 1.8). Plus life expectancy has started to fall so those two combined will see the native populations fall substantially without immigration. Birth rates are higher in less developed countries but so are their child mortality rates and lower life expectancy.

I’m yet to be convinced that global warming is going to be as rapid as is being doom mongered. I think this extinction lot are useful idiots for enabling higher taxes and greater authoritarian state control. I’m not a fan of just whacking tax on things as it will not affect the rich. If we are in this together, then we need to all be in this together!!

Permabanned
Well the good news is that the birth rate is well below the magic replacement rate (2.1) in all the big polluters (Western Europe 1.6, Uk 1.7, North America 1.8, Eastern Europe 1.8, South East Asia 1.7, Central Asia 1.8). Plus life expectancy has started to fall so those two combined will see the native populations fall substantially without immigration. Birth rates are higher in less developed countries but so are their child mortality rates and lower life expectancy.

I am going to disappoint you :D

LONDON (Reuters) - "Average life expectancy will rise in many countries by 2030, breaking through 90 years in some places, and policymakers need to make more efforts to plan for it, according to a large international study."

Life expectancy study shows many likely to live beyond 90 by 2030
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ikely-to-live-beyond-90-by-2030-idUSKBN1602TC

Soldato
So genocide if the answer to you? Stalin, Hitler & Kemal Ataturk did those things.
And who decided who dies and who lives, you?

Quite the jump to genocide, although the longer we do nothing the more likely that it will be a necessary evil.

Earlier we start the less drastic the action, like lets lets with free contraceptives and getting the various religious leaders of the world to sanction their use.

Permabanned
Quite the jump to genocide, although the longer we do nothing the more likely that it will be a necessary evil.

Earlier we start the less drastic the action, like lets lets with free contraceptives and getting the various religious leaders of the world to sanction their use.

The only thing that you do is to sabotage the future of your country. Other countries will be fine with population growth.

Soldato

You ask for genocide on your initial post mate, because you ask to lower the number of people on the same sentence with war.

Now you propose for religious leaders to sanction contraceptives. You need to get your head around than in the "west" because of the sheer usage contraceptives the last 30 years, the native population is in severe decline. Even in UK. Yet you cry about immigrants when needed to boost the economy and population to healthy levels for things to work properly like pensions and public healthcare. (and i do not mean workers but money generation).

Look at Greece with the native population in decline the 10 years. Is projected that without mass immigration, from 11 million in 2000 there will be less than 5 million left in 2080 and 8.3 million by 2050 (2018 projections)
https://greece.greekreporter.com/20...-and-decline-dramatically-by-2050-study-says/

New projections on news this week, are even more harsh.

That's due to the women do not want more than 1 child and many don't want any at all. Let alone financially nobody can maintain more than a child.
The street I grew up, we were 12 households of which 10 had 2 children, and 2 had 3 children. Of those 26 of my age today (40-50 age range). Only 5 have a child and that's is just 1 each.
Not because of financial crisis but because of how life is structured today than 30+ years ago.

Same pattern in Larissa residing atm and was a discussion last night with friends that this is the case as all of them reflecting to their own personal lives and families.
FYI I am divorced.

Already is projected that in EU there will be a steady decline of population after 2050, at the rate of 3 million annually without immigration. Making the economies completely unsustainable.

The issue is what life you want. India has 1.2billion population and per capita CO2 emittions are 3 times lower than in UK, China, and 7 times that of USA, Australia, Saudi Arabia and S Korea.
Do you want to live as the average Indian person? If so, abolish the usage of mobile phone, car, use wood to warm your house and revert to agrarian way of life.

Both @4K8KW10 & @Overlag put it more mildly than me.

Permabanned
Yawn. All this talk, yet I bet not one of you will give up your filthy automobiles, because you will argue it's a 'necessity' to your life.

But the reality is it's not. It's a convenience and luxury that you're just not willing to give up.

Soldato
Yawn. All this talk, yet I bet not one of you will give up your filthy automobiles, because you will argue it's a 'necessity' to your life.

But the reality is it's not, it's a convenience, a luxury, and you're not willing to give up.

Are you going to give up your Computer/TV and EVERYTHING that consumes electricity? Are you going to leave your heating off this winter? Are you going to stop drinking water, stop eating food? Are you never going to purchase anything made of plastic ever again, and stop buying clothes?

Our carbon footprint isn't just made up by transport.

Also, the world isn't going to end in 10 years like the crazy people in London are now saying. People have been saying that sort of stuff for thousands of years.

Permabanned
AAlso, the world isn't going to end in 10 years like the crazy people in London are now saying. People have been saying that sort of stuff for thousands of years.

The Earth is certainly not going to end in 10 years but if we don't move on towards sustainable renewable clean energies, I suspect by 2050 there will be an economic collapse of apocalyptic proportions.

Man of Honour
We need to reduce the population by having fewer children. It's going to be difficult because we will have an aging population for many generations and must resist increasing immigration to replace the lost tax dollars.

Then also make lifestyle changes such as walking further, using bikes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom