*** The Official macOS Catalina thread ***

Soldato
As someone who uses the terminal a bit, not a huge amount, how will it affect me?

Probably not much if any at all - Oh My Zsh is pretty good for stuff, I have worked with both and never been unable to do anything. Bash is probably considered more POSIX compliant, but that may be historical and whether it matters these days.

Soldato
As someone who uses the terminal a bit, not a huge amount, how will it affect me?

As @Throrik said, if you have to ask - the answer is it won't. It's not 100% POSIX compliant OOTB, but can be made so by passing an argument to it in runtime or in .zshrc/.zprofile etc. The differences in practice are very small, and it's a very cool shell. I run it as default on my Arch Linux router (with OhMyZSH installed and configured with useful plugins), and I do like it. My favourite shell is Fish though. :p

You can read a little more (than you probably wanted to) here, here and here.

Associate
Anyone know how to override the security settings to install an old printer driver from a .pkg file? Keep getting the developer cannot be verified message. Was working fine in Mojave.

It's a Samsung SL-X3220NR.

Thanks

Soldato
Anyone know how to override the security settings to install an old printer driver from a .pkg file? Keep getting the developer cannot be verified message. Was working fine in Mojave.

It's a Samsung SL-X3220NR.

Thanks

Is it 32bit, if so 32bit is no longer supported in Catalina. Just checked my printer drivers on a fairly old Cannon printer and luckily they seem to be 64bit looking in system info. I'm going to wait until the next update to Catalina, before I install. I see they have seeded 10.15.1 BETA 1 the other day.

Soldato
My Cannon laser is not yet supported which is a bit of a pain. Hopefully it will be updated soon as I do use it a fair bit. Currently have Windows installed just so I can print......

Soldato
My Cannon laser is not yet supported which is a bit of a pain. Hopefully it will be updated soon as I do use it a fair bit. Currently have Windows installed just so I can print......

I haven't updated yet but I hope mine is supported. I looked under apple system info in software - apps and all the cannon stuff under 64bit info had a 'yes' so I gather that means it should be supported in Catalina

Commissario
OP
I have already downloaded the installer but am grabbing it again as it'll be interesting to know if the supplemental update has been shoehorned in.

/edit - The MD5 of the installer has changed so I'm assuming that it's included.

Soldato
Downloaded and installed without a hitch on my MBP. However on my iMac, the installation stalls at about 30% and doesn’t budge. It may be something to due with the fact that I was running the beta as I cancelled the install and reinstalled the beta with no issues.

Apart from the iMac install problem (and to be frank the beta is faultless for me), everything has been pretty smooth. Not much in the way of new things to play about with though I can see Sidecar being useful once I get my finger out and try it properly.

Man of Honour
Anyone use multiple monitors? With the latest update, my left screen colour temperature is considerably 'warmer' than the right screen. Now that I've noticed it I can't unsee it.

Soldato
I’ve got two additional monitors next to my iMac. Can’t say I’ve noticed any difference but they’re not exactly high end. Maybe the monitor profile has changed?

Back
Top Bottom