Disatissfaction

Associate
Im new to the forum. I used to belong to one years ago but got sidetracked with life. I have recently moved to the UK and am encountering all sorts of issues.

Cant get decent insurance unless I pay a fortune
Cant get finance (wanting a new car) says I haven't got a credit history
Cant get an appointment at the Dr's unless I call in the morning and wait and see if they have one for the same day and only if I give the receptionist details of why I want to see the Dr

What is going on here?

Caporegime
Im new to the forum. I used to belong to one years ago but got sidetracked with life. I have recently moved to the UK and am encountering all sorts of issues.

Cant get an appointment at the Dr's unless I call in the morning and wait and see if they have one for the same day and only if I give the receptionist details of why I want to see the Dr

What is going on here?
Just LOL if you get sidetracked with life to the extent that you're not even on a forum.

Noobs.

Soldato

What is going on here?

This is normal. There is a reason people move away from the UK to Australia, and its not just the weather.

Soldato

What is going on here?

• Which insurance are we talking about? I renewed my home insurance recently and was surprised by how cheap it was.
  • You can't expect people to give you money without any knowledge of you, surely?
  • Change your GP surgery, not all use that system (and I agree it is annoying).

Soldato
This is normal. There is a reason people move away from the UK to Australia, and its not just the weather.

The UK is an incredibly comfortable country to live in for most of the millions of people who live here and an utter Utopia when compared to the absolute entirety of the planet's history. If find that most of the "it's rubbish here" crowd consumes the terrible media that peddle made-up or exaggeratedly miserable stories.

Soldato
The UK is an incredibly comfortable country to live in for most of the millions of people who live here and an utter Utopia when compared to the absolute entirety of the planet's history. If find that most of the "it's rubbish here" crowd consumes the terrible media that peddle made-up or exaggeratedly miserable stories.

currently waiting list for my doctors is 2-3 weeks, and last month my dad waited 9hrs to be seen in A&E... but yeh i guess i make it all up. :)

Associate
OP
Yes. Its very disappointing to see that people just accept poor service. We have moved to Northumberland where both my husband and I work. The insurance was car insurance that was off the scale....they even wanted to put a black box in the car to monitor our driving? We bought a house for cash as well as 2 cars and brought savings with us. We both work full time and have paid all our bill for 1 year in advance, yet still cannot get finance. LOL

Health service is a disaster and the fact I have to explain myself to a receptionist who decides whether I am worthy of an appointment is a joke. I am yet to find a walk in clinic but will look.

we do love it here but there are some things that just seem ridiculous.

Soldato
Yes. Its very disappointing to see that people just accept poor service. We have moved to Northumberland where both my husband and I work. The insurance was car insurance that was off the scale....they even wanted to put a black box in the car to monitor our driving? We bought a house for cash as well as 2 cars and brought savings with us. We both work full time and have paid all our bill for 1 year in advance, yet still cannot get finance. LOL

Health service is a disaster and the fact I have to explain myself to a receptionist who decides whether I am worthy of an appointment is a joke. I am yet to find a walk in clinic but will look.

we do love it here but there are some things that just seem ridiculous.

Why would someone with no credit history in the UK be able to get finance to buy a car. That would be pretty crazy to expect that.

Car insurance is fairly reasonable in the UK, I've paid approx £300 every year for ages now. I imagine it's similar for a lot of people. Again this is something you won't get until you've built up some history. Car insurance and cost to buy cars in Australia is a lot more.

And yes getting a GP appointment is a pain, but you just need to be ringing up very early to snap up appointments before others, not a great thing admittedly and it should be much better than it is but it is completely free unlike the Australia system which can vary a lot. You get what you pay for I guess.

Man of Honour

If it's anything like our doctor's surgery the receptionist is probably asking what is wrong so that she can make an appointment with the appropriate person such as doctor, nurse practitioner or nurse. Doctors these days have so little time to see people that if you have nothing serious a nurse practioner would be more appropriate rather than taking time up from the doctor that someone more needy could have. A nurse practioner can still prescribe medicines. It doesn't help when there are so many people that think it's ok to not bother cancelling a appointment that they don't want/need anymore so that someone else can have it. We live in a large village and the missed appointments at our doctors surgery is just unbelieveable. It's about time they started issuing fines to people who can't be bothered to pick up the phone to cancel their appointment be it the doctors, dentist or hospital appointment.

The NHS does have it's problems mainly due to underfunding but it's a tremendous asset for this country to have. My father had a stroke three weeks ago and the staff at Treliske hospital in Truro, Cornwall were fantastic. After a week there he was transferred to Barncoose stroke recovery center and they are just amazing. He has constant one on one attention and the staff are lovely. They have been honest with our family and kept us informed of everything. The stroke was caught very quickly so it limited the damage although he has a long road to recovery ahead of him and will remain there for several weeks yet.

Associate
OP
Why would someone with no credit history in the UK be able to get finance to buy a car. That would be pretty crazy to expect that. Because I own properties outright in the UK and have no mortgage. I work full time and earn a good salary as does my husband...we are of less risk than a lot of people who seem to be able to get finance

Car insurance is fairly reasonable in the UK, I've paid approx £300 every year for ages now. I imagine it's similar for a lot of people. Again this is something you won't get until you've built up some history. A quote of 2000 GBP was given for a car I purchased for 4500GBP .Car insurance and cost to buy cars in Australia is a lot more. You are wrong! my insurance was not anywhere near 2000GBP for a car that was of a much a higher value

And yes getting a GP appointment is a pain, but you just need to be ringing up very early to snap up appointments before others, not a great thing admittedly and it should be much better than it is but it is completely free unlike the Australia system which can vary a lot. You get what you pay for I guess.
Again you are wrong. Australia has a free system called medicare and you could get to see a GP anywhere in Australia, 7 days a week-albeit, it may not be the GP of your choice

If it's anything like our doctor's surgery the receptionist is probably asking what is wrong so that she can make an appointment with the appropriate person such as doctor, nurse practitioner or nurse. Doctors these days have so little time to see people that if you have nothing serious a nurse practioner would be more appropriate rather than taking time up from the doctor that someone more needy could have. A nurse practioner can still prescribe medicines. It doesn't help when there are so many people that think it's ok to not bother cancelling a appointment that they don't want/need anymore so that someone else can have it. We live in a large village and the missed appointments at our doctors surgery is just unbelieveable. It's about time they started issuing fines to people who can't be bothered to pick up the phone to cancel their appointment be it the doctors, dentist or hospital appointment.

The NHS does have it's problems mainly due to underfunding but it's a tremendous asset for this country to have. My father had a stroke three weeks ago and the staff at Treliske hospital in Truro, Cornwall were fantastic. After a week there he was transferred to Barncoose stroke recovery center and they are just amazing. He has constant one on one attention and the staff are lovely. They have been honest with our family and kept us informed of everything. The stroke was caught very quickly so it limited the damage although he has a long road to recovery ahead of him and will remain there for several weeks yet.
it seems satisfactory in cases of an emergency

Receptionists are asking why you need to see a GP so the GP has an idea before you see them.
Andi.

I understand that but I don't think I should have to explain details of my medical problems. I don't go the Dr often. I dont have time to be waiting for them to answer a call and decide whether I can have an appt especially when I have to work. The appts given are for the same day only. No advance bookings. It does not fit in with people who work and to be told I will get a call back from a Dr to see whether I actually need to be seen doesnt fit with work when phones are not allowed in the secure areas...Therefore I cant take the call.

Just wait until you go shopping in Manchester.

Why? Is it worse there? LoL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom