Ebay - Yes I should know better.

Soldato
Ended up with a Fake 1050ti instead of a used one from ebay, my own fault I admit. Seller is now trying to offer a replacement and 50% refund.
Not looking for advice as I know what to do and will probably string it out for a while. It was so cheap I don't mind losing a bit for entertainment.
OCUK were given the opportunity to supply some Haribo which is a good outcome :D
Andi.

Soldato
OP
Why would I accept a replacement fake card that Nvidia drivers don't recognise. There is no hint that the replacement is anything other than another fake card. As I said I don't have a problem all is sorted now with real parts.
Just want to publicise that these things happen and caution the unwary.
Andi.

Caporegime
Why would I accept a replacement fake card that Nvidia drivers don't recognise. There is no hint that the replacement is anything other than another fake card. As I said I don't have a problem all is sorted now with real parts.
Andi.

Link to the fake card seller would be nice.

Did you not check other listing? Feedback?

Permabanned
Andi.

oh they wanted to replace it with another fake card? aw well. No chance. Good that you solved it but bad that its cost you.

Soldato
Ebay is fine as long as you're careful and know what you're looking at.

The fake GPU trend has been going on for awhile now, you can usually spot them a mile off. It's generally pretty easy to get a refund when needed also, the better rated sellers will go out of their way to avoid negative feedback and paypal is spot on with disputes on the buyers end.

I bought a brand new AMD RX580 8GB from ebay awhile back for £120, had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever.

Caporegime
People who buy electronics from eBay :rolleyes:

You can buy electronics from e-bay, it just requires some common sense. Various businesses still sell on e-bay for example - there is/was an official canon refurbished shop for example - I got a refurbished camera years ago.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
People still use eBay to buy stuff worth over £10? It's fine for cheap stuff but anything of value - no chance.

Caporegime
What do you do in a case like this?

You check the seller out.

See my post above. I asked for a link to seller.

The guy is selling gpu's at a stupidly price. He is also then letting you buy multiples at even bigger discounts. Like buy 2 get 5% off, buy 3 get 7% off buy 4 get 10% off, etc.

Looking through everything else they are selling its all cheap tat from China. They also have thousands of random listing. Like he's also selling plastic feet (mannaquin style). Basically just a junk shop like pound land.

Even when looking at the gpu he is selling there is no manufacturer name, the cards have a generic cooler and even the backplate looks dodgy.

You would have to be asleep at the wheel to fall for such an obvious scam seller if you know your pc parts.

Soldato
OP
You check the seller out.

See my post above. I asked for a link to seller.

The guy is selling gpu's at a stupidly price. He is also then letting you buy multiples at even bigger discounts. Like buy 2 get 5% off, buy 3 get 7% off buy 4 get 10% off, etc.

Looking through everything else they are selling its all cheap tat from China. They also have thousands of random listing. Like he's also selling plastic feet (mannaquin style). Basically just a junk shop like pound land.

Even when looking at the gpu he is selling there is no manufacturer name, the cards have a generic cooler and even the backplate looks dodgy.

You would have to be asleep at the wheel to fall for such an obvious scam seller if you know your pc parts.
Glad you had fun researching the stuff you must be bored!
Andi.

Soldato
how does a fake card even happen? need pics of this.

There's a few way it happens.

If you check a certain electronic auction site, and search for certain Nvidia GPU's (such as a 1060) then sort by the cheapest, you'll find some weird looking images of supposedly new cards. On closer inspection some of these images are 3d renders of cards rather than actual photographs, these are the more obvious ones.

Here's a 1060 I spotted pretty quickly going for £50 "brand new" which I'm pretty sure is fake:

wat.jpg

That's literally the only image on the listing, there's four other images which are pretty much identical but with the card pasted on-top of a game screenshot or something.

It's also very common for old Nvidia 450's and the like to be cleaned up and flashed with a modified bios so they read as being higher end cards than they are, sometimes the person behind the scam will go the extra mile and fit a salvaged heatsink so it's only immediately obvious if you look at the PCB. It isn't always the fault of the sellers mind you, some of them have been scammed themselves. A lot of well rated stores on there just buy up clearance/old stock from other stores in bulk and sell it on, they're not intentionally trying to sell you fake goods.

Last edited:
Soldato
i see the seller, seems to have a lot of good feedback. i cant see how a big seller like that would put out fake stuff. it could be a generic brand like those socket 2011 motherboards you get from china for dirt cheapo but work. obviously needs better pics.
need the op to provide proper pics of whats been received and also take pic of the gpu itself with heatsink removed. interested to see how this scam can even work for such big sellers since ebay always sides with the buyer and will refund no probs.

Back
Top Bottom