When are you going fully electric?

Capodecina
Soldato
When are you going fully electric?
Aside from the price of a fully electric car, there are two factors which give me pause for thought:
  • I need transport that will do more than 300 miles on a charge / fill-up
  • There are not enough charging points around the country yet :(
I believe that some time ago, the Government funded the installation of charging points at one's home but that this scheme has now ended - probably because too many people took it up ;)

Associate
I like the sound of electric cars, the honda e looks cool, but I can imagine in the future cables all over the place. With lots of people tripping on them.

Soldato
I like the sound of electric cars, the honda e looks cool, but I can imagine in the future cables all over the place. With lots of people tripping on them.

You aren't allowed to run cables across footpaths, carparks, or other public spaces so people without driveways will be stuffed. If someone trips over one and breaks something you're open to being sued. They don't seem to have considered that.

Permabanned
"Do It". Elon Musk, various times.

As far as I can see, on the plate it's written "Zero emissions" :)

104836103-p100d-review.jpg

Soldato
Yea a few on high streets and service stations, great. There is still no solution for people in flats etc. Are they going to put one in every single parking space?

Permabanned
Yea a few on high streets and service stations, great. There is still no solution for people in flats etc. Are they going to put one in every single parking space?

In some countries, they dig the asphalt layer to install gas pipes and never recover the surface layer. Imagine the infrastructure disaster if they have to dig ev'ry single road and parking lot for cables installment. lol
Would be a better idea just to build new dedicated parking lots for electric cars.

Soldato
Or you could just install them like a normal country would do.

Oslo airport in Norway has over 700 charging bays for electric cars....

You don't need charge points in every space, one charge point can cover 2 or 4 spaces depending on layout.

Soldato
But then if one breaks in a carpark with allocated spaces, 4 people aren't going to be able to charge their cars until it's fixed. Which would suck very much if you need it to commute to work.

Last edited:
Soldato

Who knows what will happen, regardless what does happen we know you will remain a spectator to the whole thing. Round me people in flats rarely have cars... let alone ones newer than 5 years. So it’s years away before an alternative has to be relevant to tempt people away from their local taxi rank. Infact maybe it will be people in flats who end up using EVs the most!

Caporegime
XC40 displayed today. Nothing unexpected, but 250 miles WLTP and 400hp is nice.

That said I've come to the conclusion it's going to be a while before anything with the range I need will come out at anywhere near a decent price (the long range Rivian is the only announced option). Battery tech and charging infrastructure just isn't there for long range BEV's yet, especially if you want/need something that isn't an ultra aerodynamic saloon.

Playing around on A Better Route Planner for the trip I did at the weekend and there were two sections that would require the LR Raven Model S to even get from charger to charger, and another couple of sections where I would have to backtrack to recharge before heading out again. Alternatively it involved two tanks of petrol in the pickup.

They work in densely populated areas, but in less densely populated areas of North America (mid west, Prairies and the North) Infrastructure is going to have to increase significantly before it's possible, and even then it may well be awkward.

Still trying to justify something for the city/ski hill commute, but even then ideally it needs to have 400km of range in sub zero temperatures, and even something like the LR Y is going to struggle. I also can't justify that kind of money on a second car.

Permabanned
Or you could just install them like a normal country would do.

Oslo airport in Norway has over 700 charging bays for electric cars....

You don't need charge points in every space, one charge point can cover 2 or 4 spaces depending on layout.

Norway is really ahead in their development of us all. Not only they are working with great strides towards electric cars infrastructure deployment but also they are the first country in the world that turned once and forever the FM radio transmission off.
There is the Svalbard Global Seed Vault also in Norway. So, this is definitely a first-class nation.

While quite a lot of the Eastern Europe countries know nothing neither about electric vehicles supporting infrastructure, nor they have any clue about what Digital radio transmission DAB/DAB+ actually is.

But we have to blame for this the U.S governments because in 1989 the Eastern Europeans went exactly to the U.S for help in the transitions of their nations to market economies and the future development of them.
So, the U.S is to blame about the existence of not normal/third-world countries in the EU/Europe.

Back
Top Bottom