cosmos looks very poor

Soldato
What about Vive Pro? It's the only headset with OLED panel and 90hz.

Vive Pro is extremely expensive, plus it has the old style wands which are rapidly becoming outdated as most of the newer headsets are converging on an Oculus Touch style controllers which share common control layouts. This makes porting between platforms far easier.

Associate
Vive Pro is extremely expensive, plus it has the old style wands which are rapidly becoming outdated as most of the newer headsets are converging on an Oculus Touch style controllers which share common control layouts. This makes porting between platforms far easier.

What about just using the vive pro headset along with some knuckle controllers from the index?

Associate
Just get the Pro HMD on its own and pair it with some Index controllers (which is what I’ve done).

Associate
Sounds legit! Can you use the vive base stations or do you need the lighthouses from the index?
Both the Vive Pro and Index controllers can use either the original Vive lighthouse (v1) or the newer Vive Pro/Index lighthouses (v2).

Basically v2 devices like the Pro, Index and Pimax (including their respective controllers) can use v1 or v2 lighthouses, but v1 devices like the original Vive (and the original wands) can only use v1 lighthouses.

I’m currently using my original Vive lighthouses together with the Pro HMD and Index controllers. Works perfectly :) I plan to get some Index lighthouses in the near future so I can give the complete original Vive package away to a family member.

Last edited:
Associate
I have tried all of the VR headsets besides the super expensive Xtal. My modified Vive Pro using the anti-screendoor Odyssey+ OLED panels, Gear VR lenses and Index controllers is easily the best setup.

Inside out tracking like the Cosmos and WMR is garbage.

Soldato
I have tried all of the VR headsets besides the super expensive Xtal. My modified Vive Pro using the anti-screendoor Odyssey+ OLED panels, Gear VR lenses and Index controllers is easily the best setup.

Inside out tracking like the Cosmos and WMR is garbage.
I just fired up my rift s after not using it for ages and the tracking is incredible tbh.

That vibe pro does sound awesome! It’s all about those black levels. However extra fov from index is enticing.

Soldato
It all looked positive on paper so it is a shame reading these reviews. I'd argue the most important thing for VR is that the tracking is spot on so to mess that up is a bit of a biggie. Oh well I guess it's time to cross the Cosmos off my potential HMD's to buy then.
I wont lie i am disappointed from the early reports but am not writing it off yet.
RiftS tracking has hugely improved since launch and many of its early kinks have been ironed out. Due to my IPD it will never be a good fit for me.

Cosmos, I am certainly not going to be gagging at the bit to buy one now, but many of its issues may still be fixed by software.

unlike some 2 hr battery life, whilst dissapointing is not a show stopper for me. I think it is not a bad idea to come out of VR every few hrs for a breather anyway and unlike built in batteries, it takes 2 mins to swap out a pair of AA batteries. 2 hrs is for constant use, say a session of beat saber or what ever, i imagine in practical use it will be more than that.

in truth the ONLY headset which excites me right now is the Index, but even that............... it is not enough to make me ditch my CV1. My hope is CV1 will last me out this generation and i can see what comes next, possibly from oculus, possibly from samsung,...
if my CV1 does pack up then, i guess i will get an index.

Best VR news for me this last few months has been quest link.... not for the quest, imo it is not high end enough for me, but if that is the direction oculus are going then it could be cool for quest 2, which will hopefully be either usb 4.0 supporting, or possibly have a display port on it.

Soldato
in truth the ONLY headset which excites me right now is the Index, but even that............... it is not enough to make me ditch my CV1. My hope is CV1 will last me out this generation and i can see what comes next, possibly from oculus, possibly from samsung,...
if my CV1 does pack up then, i guess i will get an index.

Best VR news for me this last few months has been quest link.... not for the quest, imo it is not high end enough for me, but if that is the direction oculus are going then it could be cool for quest 2, which will hopefully be either usb 4.0 supporting, or possibly have a display port on it.
The index would be enough to get me to ditch the Rift if the full setup was a bit more affordable... I just can't quite stomach a grand since I'd need the whole shebang.

Seriously contemplating a 64gb Quest at the moment as a stop gap and to be able to play with all the new stuff coming out for it like hand tracking, link and passthrough plus.

Last edited:
Soldato
The index would be enough to get me to ditch the Rift if the full setup was a bit more affordable... I just can't quite stomach a grand since I'd need the whole shebang.

Seriously contemplating a 64gb Quest at the moment as a stop gap and to be able to play with all the new stuff coming out for it like hand tracking, link and passthrough plus.

I’m personally terrified about the quality control on their controllers.
I already went through hell with my crg9.

Soldato

Having tried the Index controllers on a regular Vive, I don't think they're massively better than the Oculus Touch controllers, and in some ways they're worse.

The thumbstick in particular is in the wrong place. Your thumb doesn't rest naturally on it unlike the Touch controllers, plus of course there are the issues where the thumbstick won't click or register a click in if you move it off-centre.

The finger tracking is neat, but it's not that much better than the Touch, and you can get handle grips for Touch which let you strap them to your hand like the Index controllers. The best thing about the controllers is the grip squeeze detection.

The headset itself though, from what I've read, is massively superior in most respects, but of course requires lighthouses.

Soldato
so whats wrong with the Cosmos? Has anyone here actually owned one to test?

I got mine 9 days ago but have since learned that my eye sight is failing quite quickly so knowing that I cannot really give an accurate response, However the short time that I did use it I had fun, I think it's mainly the price that's putting people off as it doesn't offer much over the Rift S but is nearly double the price.

Soldato
I got mine 9 days ago but have since learned that my eye sight is failing quite quickly so knowing that I cannot really give an accurate response, However the short time that I did use it I had fun, I think it's mainly the price that's putting people off as it doesn't offer much over the Rift S but is nearly double the price.

i think its the crap impractical tracking which is bad.

Back
Top Bottom