Bye bye 6 series - Ideas for baby friendly car

Soldato
Luggage space is the key.

Wife does fine with a 3 series as a daily with the kids but all she can fit in the boot is the double pram and one or two bags shopping. When needing to take more (travel cots, suitcases etc.) my 5 estate was only just big enough so we bought a roof box too, so it was big enough for all their and our stuff including double buggies and travel beds etc.

Sure your can pack light and cram it all in, or you can just get a car with more room and save on the hassle.

This is why I ended up with the Alhambra. And the wife still managed to fill it when going away for a few days.

Soldato
Better packing is whats needed, although we never needed a double pram as they just don't fold nice. We went to newquay for a week this year and there was only a small amount of stuff that needed to go in the cabin, although we took a single pram even though we didn't use it so i reckon everything will fit in the boot next time.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Soldato
Made the mistake years and years ago of replacing a 2 door car I really liked for a 4 door car when first child came along because I though that was the thing to do. Since then the only consideration has been whether or not we could fit the pushchair in the boot, putting a baby carrier into a back seat by flipping forward a front seat seems no real less hassle than having a rear door.

Soldato
Made the mistake years and years ago of replacing a 2 door car I really liked for a 4 door car when first child came along because I though that was the thing to do. Since then the only consideration has been whether or not we could fit the pushchair in the boot, putting a baby carrier into a back seat by flipping forward a front seat seems no real less hassle than having a rear door.

This really too. As I said before. A 3 door even has the advantage of a bigger door, and more room to climb in to secure a child once it's out of the baby seat. But yeah, totally agree, boot space is the most important factor overall.

Associate
Well only a couple months till first kid and decided my 6 series coupe needs to go for something abit more practical.....can't Imagen you can even get a baby seat in back of a F13?!

After a couple calls to BMW they have offered me a semi decent cash price so now got around 26k to splash on something but kinda struggling.

Any suggestions, obviously SUV style car comes to mind.

I've got a 645 and used as a baby carrier... there is ISOfix in the back seats? and the boot is plenty big enough

Associate
Having owned a 650i and having two kids I think I can add to this debate. The boot maybe massive and will easily take a buggy but it certainly would be much easier with a large hatch or estate.
I can’t comment on baby seats in the 6 series. When I had mine my kids where 3 and 7. Adults will find with the bucket seats, there is plenty of space in the back. But once you have fitted booster seats or a full backed boaster there is very little room in the back. My eldest use to look very uncomfortable once she was behind my drivers seat. Then there is climbing in and doing sorting at my youngest seat belt, was fine apart having to climb in to do it, with limited space. Now imagine that when the weather is crap, with a screaming and kicking toddler gets old quick.
I ended up changing the car after a year, as I wanted them to be a bit more comfortable. I would always advice anyone with young kids a family hatch back is good, an estate will always be choice and SUV if you really must.

Soldato

No. The seat rotate around so it’s very easy to get her in and out.

Exactly what I do with the Mustang. It works fine but I wouldn't want to do it every day, my 15 month old son only goes in it a couple of times per month.

I to enjoy seeing the reactions of other shoppers frowning/tutting at me parking in a parent and child bay then pulling a small child out the back seat though :D

Back
Top Bottom