BREXIT and its affect on computer part Prices.

Soldato
You only have to worry about the exchange rate really, very little in your upgrade will attract duty now and that won't change in the event of a no deal brexit.

The pound is already really low, historically low, but the full horror of a no deal brexit hasn't been priced in because no sane person considers it possible. If it happened though I'd not be surprised if sterling dropped to about the same as the euro (about a 9% drop). Some articles have suggested parity with the dollar, but that's just project fear ;)

Don't expect big gains if there is a deal, as it's not a 'done deal', just the withdrawal agreement, which mostly just gives us 2 years grace before we've supposed to have negotiated the easiest trade deal in the history of trade deals (hopefully trump loses the election and can come and negotiate it for us).

If article 50 was revoked, with a political consensus for not doing anything so stupid again for a generation, you could see the pound slowly rise up towards $ 1.45. That seems impossible though, the consensus thing I mean. Revoking article 50 will not give huge relief if there's a belief that the Government of the day could collapse and a new lot just throw us under the bus all over again.

I'd recommend you just follow your plans. I doubt anything is going to change this year.

Man of Honour
I think that prices will probably go up a bit anyway, regardless of the possible effects on supply and possible tariffs, simply because at least some businesses will use it as an excuse to increase their margins a bit because they can. "We're sorry, but we have to increase prices because the dog ate our homework Brexit."

Caporegime
3 risks come to mind:
1. weaker pound means it costs more to import
2. tariffs may change meaning imported stuff is subject to more/less tax
3. ports may be clogged up, meaning stuff struggles to get here, meaning lower supply, which results in higher prices

however....
4. prices rise over time, so simply by waiting you're guaranteeing stuff will cost more
5. it's black friday soon, could be some deals
6. changing your behaviour based on project fear is what turns worries into real impacts

so basically...
stop worrying about it + do whatever you were gonna do.

Weaker Pound: Check
Tarrifs, (and they can only go up for a majority of countries since we enjoy tariff free trade with EU): check
Ports Clogged up: Check

Yet somehow that is project fear when you admit it will be reality.

Soldato
It's certainty versus speculation.

I just bought something from Germany, purposefully to avoid buying it after the 31st. I'd rather know the price I'm paying rather than speculate on it being higher or lower, and probably higher if the referendum's effect on the pound was anything to go by.

Soldato
It's the uncertainty which is hurting the exchange rate. At work we buy up to £1m worth of IT equipment a year, but we can't budget properly yet since we don't know how exactly much we will need to spend. Deal or no deal isn't really that important, the just need to get on and finaly end it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
In the short term a no deal Brexit might well make things a little bit more expensive for you, a deal being found in coming days could well mean a little bit of an increase in the value of the pound. If you're worried about it then perhaps just buy the components now.

Soldato
well OC aren't going to reveal their strategy, but probably consistant with other companies, building up a surplus, so if there were a no deal they would have a buffer,
or, conversely, diminish that immediately, if there is a deal. ?

On a no deal , I suppose appropriate Amazon taxation legislationare is way-off (hikes), unless the chancellor needs money.

(The early availibility of xmas foods in the supermarkets is interesting wrt stock levels)

Don
The £ value has largely been based on no deal brexit for a few months now, the news that their might be a compromise with the EU in the last few days has pushed it back up in anticipation of some sort of deal actually being made now.

Associate
As soon as the UK leaves, computer components will revert to the early 2000's all that will be available will AMD Athlons and GPUs fair worse - we'll be back to the days of Matrox Mystique's. No more deliveries will be available so you will have to drive mad max style to the 'thunder dome' (the town previously known as Newcastle under Lyme) - get injured and you'll have to hand make medicines using locally availble forna. Once you get the components back they'll be no power, so you'll have to hook up a rig of thousands of AA batteries for 30 mins on Counter Strike.

Associate
Brexit is unlikely to happen on the 31st of October, its the can no one wants to open that keeps getting kicked downstream. Even if we assume the 'best' case scenario, our good chum Boris gets his deal the time remaining is simply not enough to allow it to happen which means almost certainly more delays.

What this comes down to is, its likely pricing will remain fairly similar, however our currency is all over the place.

If you buy now at least you have got your bits, and credit cards don't typically get interest within the first ~ 60 days at least.

Permabanned
Well they are intensifying talks so... The EU were bluffing and all it takes is for pro EU Soros or a Rothchild to manipulate the pound a bit to frighten us. They had the mechanism for doing this hundreds of years ago how deep do you think thier claws are now?

I got my 2080ti now but i am not a believer in the scaremongering at all and i have not even prepared for it because they are scaremongering about much large swings than i agree with. You might see give or take 5% as a worst case scenrio for a few months if even that. More likely 1% or 2% or less if we had our gold about now eh Mr Brown?

Back
Top Bottom