Thomas Cook

Soldato
Still don't get why going abroad is seemingly "necessary" for some.
abroad is OK, but it's the hassle of crowded airports/ports, elapsed time getting their, that seriously offsets it's pleasure, roll on teleportation.
Tribal appeal of beach type holidays, tourism en masse neither, it's an economic economy of scale but definitely not a symbol of individuality (quoting N Cage)

Soldato
No sun is worth almost half the median wage, just go outside, wont be long until that's not even a choice either.

Yes, i get the UK or indeed much of Europe is drab and a bit samey and people like getting as far as possible from it, wasn't so long ago that this was an immense luxury.

Ach sure look it's mr doom and gloom!

Soldato
Was cheaper than online actually..

Then you have no idea how to find well priced flights. Trust me next year and I’ll save you money. I get your dates are pricey, but I can get flights for around £700 with no in depth searching for those dates next year.
You got ripped off, but that happens. It’s always going to be more expensive using an agent unless you are going to one of their managed hotels.

Last time I went to Thailand I actually took my quote into a travel agent (Barrhead Travel) and the best they could do was £150 more - after haggling - for the exact same flights.

Soldato
Then you have no idea how to find well priced flights. Trust me next year and I’ll save you money. I get your dates are pricey, but I can get flights for around £700 with no in depth searching for those dates next year.
You got ripped off, but that happens. It’s always going to be more expensive using an agent unless you are going to one of their managed hotels.

Last time I went to Thailand I actually took my quote into a travel agent (Barrhead Travel) and the best they could do was £150 more - after haggling - for the exact same flights.
It was a package holiday mate. Atol protection was required.

Soldato
In the general retail sector I don't get what landlords are playing at. The rent they charge is surely going to leave them with nothing eventually ?

I read an article somewhere, (Cannot remember where). Where it was determined that the way prices should be done for renting out assets as a landlord would be to charge the maximum that the renter can pay, rather than sustainable long term competitive rates. I remember been in shock at reading the article as to me it translated to "bleed them dry". However this was for renting out land, but I suspect some property owners maybe apply the same rules themselves. I suppose this rule was determined with the assumption that there is always another renter to take over the old one once they run out of money.

Soldato
Seems a very bold thing to do, doubling the workforce and taking on a huge number of high St shops bearing in mind I've read of £10M profit last year on a turnover of £379M which isn't the best of margins, given its large property portfolio played a significant if not deciding part in the demise of TC I really wonder if buying that portfolio is the right long term move for Hays...

I hope it is, they sound like a well run and respected company but I fear this could end in tears.

To me unless there is some kind of government guarantee, it seems absolutely crazy. If TC dissolved, business would be coming their way anyway as people would still want to buy holidays, the TC brand is also already damaged, its been plastered all over the news media. To me it simply makes no sense.

Soldato
Still don't get why going abroad is seemingly "necessary" for some.

You beat me to it, there seems to be a thing with people in the UK that they have to go abroad, and also more so in recent years as well to go to extreme places, I have a family member who keeps going to countries that neighbour terrorist countries, which seems crazy to me, also where there is extreme heat as well.

I can understand wanting to see other cultures and a change of scenery. But some of these holiday locations are an eye opener, I never realised turkey was so popular until the news reports on the number of flights going there to pick up TC customers.

Soldato
You beat me to it, there seems to be a thing with people in the UK that they have to go abroad, and also more so in recent years as well to go to extreme places, I have a family member who keeps going to countries that neighbour terrorist countries, which seems crazy to me, also where there is extreme heat as well.

I can understand wanting to see other cultures and a change of scenery. But some of these holiday locations are an eye opener, I never realised turkey was so popular until the news reports on the number of flights going there to pick up TC customers.

You realise Turkey is a huge country right? Several times bigger than the UK.

By your logic you’d never visit Greece, Spain, Cypress, Italy, USA and a whole host of others because they all boarder ‘dodgy’ countries.

Back
Top Bottom