******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
You're making the mistake here of assuming that because a game of a similar type they must be similar in all aspects.

From a technology and complexity point of view they could not be more different, Star Citizen is a singular giant 3D sandbox currently about 50,000,000 KM in diameter, the objects such as planets and moons are the size that they are in 3D space, the distance between them is real in 3D space.

"50,000,000 KM in diameter" is tiny for a "universe". That's the distance between Earth and Mars.
In ED the distances which are more realistic and close to reality, an SC spaceship it would take years of game time to cross a single solar system.

Soldato
OP
"50,000,000 KM in diameter" is tiny for a "universe". That's the distance between Earth and Mars.
In ED the distances which are more realistic and close to reality, an SC spaceship it would take years of game time to cross a single solar system.

Enjoying travelling for years to go see a planet with zero features etc.

I'll say it again, comparing apples with oranges.

Soldato
Enjoying travelling for years to go see a planet with zero features etc.

I'll say it again, comparing apples with oranges.

Everything is relative. X4 where the distances are smaller, the speed is smaller. A visual system map is 400km wide (before you start going off the map to explore and expand it).
So the spaceship speeds are limited betwee 2.2Km/s and 4.5km/s

So everything is relative. That's what I am trying to say. 50mil km should be relative to the speeds of the game.
However because the current 3.6 Alpha space in SC is relative small, and speeds are relative higher than should be, has police interdiction everyone to just delay the flight times and prolong the game time.

Caporegime
I hate that constant interdicting ^^^ i wish they would just stop doing that, with the Mantis in game hopefully they will, at least with it being on a predictable NPC rail like it currently is, i don't mind if its a player doing it looking for some action.

I stand corrected when it comes to ED :)

But lets be fair here, i have ED Horizons, i love the game but despite having "Millions of procedurally generated planets" it mannages to be even more empty than Star Citizen in its current state, ED claims to get its Space Legs late next year, i'm looking forward to that.

I spent an hour yesterday exploring and forging sellable plants in a Cave i found on Daymar, i might go back tonight with a mining handtool and mine some rare minerals tonight, and i might invite a friend or a random to share in our profits.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this still a tech demo?

Having logged back in last night for the first time in 6 months, yes it is and not a good one.
After 2 hours playing there is still nothing to actually do or any point to it any of it, framerates are embarrassingly low and everyone loves waiting 10 minutes to go from 1 location to the next right?

Never mind though because you can spend several months worth of your hard earned in seconds on the well stocked and constantly updated ship shop.

Permabanned
Any meaningful improvements likely to eventually lead to a game?

I had a poke around on Reddit and I believe the big revelation for 3.7 is that they have introduced holes in planetary bodies that you can descend in to. There is also a flashlight that you can use as a source of light when venturing in to said holes.

Soldato
I had a poke around on Reddit and I believe the big revelation for 3.7 is that they have introduced holes in planetary bodies that you can descend in to. There is also a flashlight that you can use as a source of light when venturing in to said holes.
so seemingly another example of putting time and resources into some unnecessary cosmetic cac instead of ironing out the basic gameplay.

Soldato
so seemingly another example of putting time and resources into some unnecessary cosmetic cac instead of ironing out the basic gameplay.

Its because they've completely lost control of the game and don't even know what it's supposed to be, they've at one time or another promised every kind of game possible to keep people interested and more importantly spending. The feature creep on one hand, and the feature push back on the other hand is how they perpetuate development without ever actually releasing the game and they have a loyal and heavily invested fan base who are cheering them on, as long as the cult is onside and that shows no signs of coming to an end develpment will continue

9 years in and still no real game, but the reallity is the game has been released as is as live service game and people keep throwing money at it. There's more downside to actually finishing it and releasing it.

Caporegime
Trying to land HMS Barge at Olisar.

3.7.1 is in PTU testing BTW.

They disabled Quantum overheating, Quantum Interdiction by asteroid, moved the text chat down so it doesn't cover up the shield display in the HUD, improved Quantum audio effects, improved VOIP, fixed some bugs.

Caporegime
New Quantum travel Sounds, its much better, the sound is softer, more developed and that constant droning while Quantum travelling is gone, its mostly silent now.

Also the Banu Defender, the second Alien ship in SC adapted for human use, i like it, still a couple of bugs with it tho, the disrupter cannon beams don't line up with where the guns are.
This ship actually bleeds green gue when its damaged, it runs out of damaged parts of the hull and gues into the interior.

A couple of short QT jumps, a few seconds into Arc Corp before shutting down, then to Yela where i landed, a rare look at the top of Crusader too :) which will soon be replaced by a brand new one, along with its orbiting station its as old as the game and was always a place holder anyway, i don't know if Olisar will go along with it but the new Crusader will have an atmospheric floating city, i will miss Olisar, its old, it looks old engine tech but it was the first thing in the 3D sandbox all those years ago and for nostalgia reasons i will be sad to see it go.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen/card/663-Crusader

1440P when Youtube is done butchering the image quality.

While on the subject of Audio, in recent years the Audio experience in ships has become really rather dull, not at all like it was in years past.

I'm not the only one to have noticed this, others have made the same point and to be fair to CIG they have acknowledged this with a promise to improve it, the Banu Defender sounds great, lets hope this is the start of a ship by ship audio revamp.

A couple of examples of past audio.

The RSI constellation.

https://youtu.be/-sVvXh0wY_U?t=230

My self in 325A years ago, all that hull rattling and chirping from the thrusters, the explosions, it had a character to it. it adds theatre to flying, audio is very important to the experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06thjR9mNfg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Maybe because is not one of those hundreds youtubers which CIG send a top of the range computer costing few thousands to support the game?

I don't know about that conspiracy theory but Star Citizen Youtubers do make a lot of money from the game, it comes from banding their referral code around on their channel, those referral codes earn you ships, if you get a lot of accepted referrals you get a lot of high value ships, all of which can be sold on the Star Citizen Grey Market, the top Star Citizen Youtubers have thousands upon thousands of referrals.

Other than that what is true is that a Youtube Channel with 1m+ subscribers gets a much higher quality service than someone with 68.

Anyway. Digital Foundry review on Star Citizen.

Back
Top Bottom