Time for a new Motherboard!? Upgrade advice needed

Associate
I'm using the Ben Nevis cooler with the Noctua thermal paste. They recommended one dot in the middle and one in each corner. By the time I got the heatsink on and clamped down it will have slide around a little.on top, so in theory will have spread. (Nothing was spilling over the side of the CPU)

Maybe it's just a BIOS issue that will be sorted in the next version. Someone else on here seems to have the same issue, same board and CPU.

I also enabled Global States in the BIOS.

In terms of cooling. Two 140 fans in the front and a 140 at the back. Fractal R5 case. The three fans are Arctic P14.

Two at the front running around 400-600 and the back around 500-700.

Back is based on the VRM temp next to the CPU. One at the front based on the GPU PCIe temp and the other based on the sensor at the bottom front corner
Looks pretty good to me. But not sure if using so many input sensors for the case fans might end up fluctuating between positive/negative air pressure within the case though.

Associate
OP
Looks pretty good to me. But not sure if using so many input sensors for the case fans might end up fluctuating between positive/negative air pressure within the case though.

Was thinking of that.

Tempted to just use

the VRM/CPU for the back
PCI-e for the two at the front.

I do miss the strix card and fan connect. Having the two fans plugged into the GPU was so handy and made sense!

What would your suggestion be?

Associate
Was thinking of that.

Tempted to just use

the VRM/CPU for the back
PCI-e for the two at the front.

I do miss the strix card and fan connect. Having the two fans plugged into the GPU was so handy and made sense!

What would your suggestion be?
I am by no means an expert, so don't take my suggestions as gospel.

In a traditionally shaped case like the R5, I'd personally aim to keep to horizontal airflow (front case fans as intakes and rear case fans as exhaust), with as little turbulence as possible. Having vented PCI plates/covers, or just removing the excess ones entirely may help with this.

Then for the case fan input sensors, I'd try to have them all based on the same input that would somewhat represent the internal case temperature (e.g. VRM, motherboard or system temperature) and they'd all increase/decrease at the same time. The rear case fan might need to be set at more aggressive RPMs if your intake fans are pulling in too much air.

Test it out though and just go with whatever you prefer.

Associate
OP
I am by no means an expert, so don't take my suggestions as gospel.

In a traditionally shaped case like the R5, I'd personally aim to keep to horizontal airflow (front case fans as intakes and rear case fans as exhaust), with as little turbulence as possible. Having vented PCI plates/covers, or just removing the excess ones entirely may help with this.

Then for the case fan input sensors, I'd try to have them all based on the same input that would somewhat represent the internal case temperature (e.g. VRM, motherboard or system temperature) and they'd all increase/decrease at the same time. The rear case fan might need to be set at more aggressive RPMs if your intake fans are pulling in too much air.

Test it out though and just go with whatever you prefer.

Yeah that sounds fair. I'll have a play around.

You need to tell the software what fan header is associated with what fan - the placement of it. (Guessing it's the same in the bios).

I'll maybe try basing them all in thenVRM temperature, after all, that's the only thing in there that doesn't have its own cooling fan/method.

Basically wanting to achieve quiet and cool at idle.

Back
Top Bottom