Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
hi all,

so after probably about 9 years of being a vm customer, I'm going to be moving somewhere where their service isn't available. I've still got about 4 or 5 months left on the latest contract (50 quid a month)...just wondering how much i'm likely to get stung for for leaving early? Do they show a bit more 'mercy' for long term / loyal customers or will i be facing a massive bill :(

Soldato
If they cannot provide the service, they will let you leave without charge.

Make sure you go through moving home option and just tell them you're moving and would like to take your services. ;)

Soldato
If they cannot provide the service, they will let you leave without charge.

Make sure you go through moving home option and just tell them you're moving and would like to take your services. ;)
Last time they made me pay the remainder of the contract but i wasn't charged a cancellation fee. Or cessation fee. Was explained that i agreed to a term of 12 months as part of the contract and because i couldn't continue my contract as another premises was not their problem. If i was out of contract it wouldn't have been an issue. This was over 5 years ago
But im sure VM offer a phone line based solution now anyway so i guess they can still provide a service so it's still you breaking the terms.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last time they made me pay the remainder of the contract but i wasn't charged a cancellation fee. Or cessation fee. Was explained that i agreed to a term of 12 months as part of the contract and because i couldn't continue my contract as another premises was not their problem. If i was out of contract it wouldn't have been an issue. This was over 5 years ago
But im sure VM offer a phone line based solution now anyway so i guess they can still provide a service so it's still you breaking the terms.
I've done it twice while in contract. Both times they said they are cancelling my services.

Did the same with BT to get out of their contract.

Soldato
With VM and been paying £30 a month for past two years for 100Mb fibre and basic TV. Now the "best" their customer service team can do is £39 for six months then £42! Processing the cancellation now. Unfortunately the landline providers like BT can't get anywhere near the 100Mb speed (max ~35Mb). Any ideas on what to do with VM? Will they call me before it finishes? They tried pulling the whole "oh it'll be expensive in the run up to Christmas running two bills then paying their joining fee and you won't get the same speed". Can I cancel and immediately order with the girlfriend's name? That seems to be £25 per month.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

With VM and been paying £30 a month for past two years for 100Mb fibre and basic TV. Now the "best" their customer service team can do is £39 for six months then £42! Processing the cancellation now. Unfortunately the landline providers like BT can't get anywhere near the 100Mb speed (max ~35Mb). Any ideas on what to do with VM? Will they call me before it finishes? They tried pulling the whole "oh it'll be expensive in the run up to Christmas running two bills then paying their joining fee and you won't get the same speed". Can I cancel and immediately order with the girlfriend's name? That seems to be £25 per month.

You cant if you live in the same household, I believe they do it by address and not actually name unfortunately.

IM in your same boat unfortunately, I wouldn't mind going with another provider to save some money but their speeds are **** in comparison, so its like im forced to pay that much. Though what i did though, was complain about prices being too high and they offered me 200mb as a "long term customer bonus" for free for the next year.

Just wish that other ISP's could get those kind of speeds

Associate
You cant if you live in the same household, I believe they do it by address and not actually name unfortunately.

IM in your same boat unfortunately, I wouldn't mind going with another provider to save some money but their speeds are **** in comparison, so its like im forced to pay that much. Though what i did though, was complain about prices being too high and they offered me 200mb as a "long term customer bonus" for free for the next year.

How would that work then. Rented property. Person A moves out of the address on Monday and Person B moves in the next day. Are you suggesting they wouldn't allow Person B to become a customer as they have the same address as Person A?

I still get the odd letter from Virgin Media for the previous owner of our house and we've lived here for over 6 years.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

How would that work then. Rented property. Person A moves out of the address on Monday and Person B moves in the next day. Are you suggesting they wouldn't allow Person B to become a customer as they have the same address as Person A?

I still get the odd letter from Virgin Media for the previous owner of our house and we've lived here for over 6 years.

I think its a combination of both, but if you live in the same house together that you own and your wife signs up instead using the same surname and address, it wont work.

Maybe there's a loophole where your wife, if she uses her maiden name, can get away with it but im not entirely sure how it works

Associate
Nearly every night from 11pm to 6-7am for the last month my parent's internet is down in Oxford, no problems reported and nothing from CS as to why. I can't watch weird stuff on youtube/chromecast when I stay in my old bedroom!

Soldato
I'm secretly gutted, not in front of the GF she won't be impressed.

We're paying 50 quid a month for Vodaphone Gigacube and the speeds are around 100mbit-200mbit, but it's so erratic sometimes performance is shocking.

Suddenly Virgin Media have managed to get us wired up, the cable routes are in and wiring shortly after, there was no ETA now it's progressing really quick, so gutted, so so so so so so so so so * 100000000 gutted

Soldato
You need to cancel your current account and then sign up with a new account only when the old account is terminated.

Means you have a downtime due to equipment delivery etc.

You may be able to prevent that if you contact sales directly but as far as I know equipment is tied to addresses.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Worth mentioning my experience, two years ago I was approaching the end of my contract and couldn't get a good deal so cancelled.

I simply signed up again on the website under my wife's name during the notice period. Had no downtime, in fact the new kit was installed a week before mine had ceased (I simply disconnected it all on the morning the engineer due to arrive).

When signing up it said there was an active account and there was an option to indicate that I was "moving in"

Had zero issues at all. Just looked back through the emails to corroborate my memory and all tallies up, so those saying it's not at all possible (praz94) aren't entirely accurate.

This year, however, I got a deal I was happy with so renewed the existing agreement.

Associate

Wrong.

Just done this. Same surname.

Back
Top Bottom