**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Haha. Yes, plenty of burnouts in the local maccy d's car park! ;)

Still have a few mm but MPSS it is then. Have been debating whether it'd be worth getting a winter set but seems pointless for those handful of days we get a sprinkle of snow. Managed fine in my E46 for over 10 years.
Difficult to answer the winter wheels question. It really depends on your usage and how important it is for you to be mobile 24/7.

Underboss
Anyone used TyreLeader before ? experiences ?

Looking at :

Michilin Cross Climate +,
205/50/17

Black Circles are doing £40 off if you buy 4 (which i need)
£480.84 Fitted etc

Tyre Leader are £445.96 delivered

but id have to get someone to fit/dispose etc (2 tyres to dispose not 4)

cheapest is Black Circles mail order only @ £434.74

Man of Honour
I've used them before and they were fine but I am confused as to the point in your question. They are more expensive, so why use them?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
My Goodyear Vector all weather **** spin up in 2nd in the dry and in 3rd in the wet. Either my 150ps Golf has been chipped or they are total ******* *****. Who buys all seasons, seriously? :mad:

I keep getting dirty looks when they squeal on cobbles, away from junctions, etc. :(

mjt

mjt

Soldato
those Goodyears are more Winter tyre than summer

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-All-Season-Tyre-Performance-Overview.htm

approx 4m26s in for the goodyear :

also worth watching :

That site is awesome; is he still on these forums?
TBH I have the Gen 1 Vectors which are even worse. I have ContiWinterContact TS850Ps on my Audi and they are brilliant (within reason) in all conditions. The Vectors are ***** in the dry, ***** in hot, ***** in the wet and distinctly average in snow.

I'm sure the Gen 2s are a big step up, and the Michelin Cross Climates are even better, but I still think they are a huge compromise in all aspects.

I can't justify throwing them away as the dealer put them on before I bought the car, so I do my best to wear them out as quickly as possible :D

mjt

mjt

Soldato
never knew he was on here !!

i think hes brilliant
i go by what he says

well, we are coming into Winter now, how much tread left of them ? above 3mm, keep them for this winter
I haven't measured the tread depth, but they've only covered around 10,000 miles. I only do 6-7,000 miles a year at most in the Golf.

jon- is the bloke who runs tyrereviews.co.uk, but he hasn't been on here in over 2 years.

Soldato
Wife's car had a tyre that kept going down, from 2.0 bar down to 1.4 bar within a relatively short space of time so obviously that was replaced. I was looking at picking up a spare wheel since the car (BMW X3, F25) doesn't have run flats - I'm sure it was meant to have them from new but it doesn't now and I'm not bothered about changing the tyres. Since she doesn't often go that far, the spare would live in the garage rather than being in the boot all the time unless I'm taking it on a long drive or it's going out of the country.

Rather conveniently, a mate has given me an identical wheel with a couple of minor scuffs on and a Pirelli tyre fitted with plenty of tread left, but it's a run flat. I'll probably never need to use the spare wheel but if I did, would it be an issue driving the car with 3 normal tyres and 1 run flat tyre for a short period of time? By that I mean just to be able to drive home or to a tyre place rather than to leave it on the car for a few weeks. I can't see it being a problem but just want to check to see if anyone knows any different.

Obviously the ideal would be to just get another alloy with a regular tyre on it but as this one has cost me nothing and will probably never end up being needed I'm not sure it's worth splashing out to change the tyre.

Associate
My partner's car needs a set of tyres all round. Currently, it has a set of 195/55/15 (2015 Fiesta Zetec 1.2l) on there. Would there be an issue on swapping these for 195/50/15 as there is a fairly big difference in price. 195/50/15 Continental ContisportPremium are £51 a corner compared to £89 a corner for 195/55/15.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
My partner's car needs a set of tyres all round. Currently, it has a set of 195/55/15 (2015 Fiesta Zetec 1.2l) on there. Would there be an issue on swapping these for 195/50/15 as there is a fairly big difference in price. 195/50/15 Continental ContisportPremium are £51 a corner compared to £89 a corner for 195/55/15.
The speedo would over-read by about 3%.

Back
Top Bottom