Rugby union?

Man of Honour
It's fine for England but if Scotland get cancelled on Sunday that's their World Cup over which seems a bit harsh as they could stay in if they play.

Soldato
The England cancellation worries me a little. In 2007 the Kiwi's and Wobblies both had easy groups with no challenge whatsoever both crashed out the first time they faced a decent team. South Africa and England were proper shonky in the group but at least had a few challenging games and both made the final. I worry that the first testing match for England is a do or die moment, if we don't get out the traps we could be out before we've really played.

Soldato
This weekend was set to be truly epic for sport with the Ineos 1:59 challenge and Ironman world champs going on alongside the world cup and everything else. Very disappointing for the England game to be cancelled but I hope for Scotlands sake they get to play. Ridiculous that they can't play in a different venue or something

@PlacidCasual i agree. This doesn't bode well. You could also tell from the Wales game that having such a long gap between games didn't do them much good

Soldato
I don't know why it couldn't have just been moved a day or two. Better than just cancelling it. It is a worry that we'll not have played for two weeks.

I lived in Hong Kong for several years and typhoons are only really a problem for 12-24 hours when the worst of it passes through, the rest of it is just a bit of wind and rain.

Soldato
OP
I don't know why it couldn't have just been moved a day or two. Better than just cancelling it. It is a worry that we'll not have played for two weeks.

I lived in Hong Kong for several years and typhoons are only really a problem for 12-24 hours when the worst of it passes through, the rest of it is just a bit of wind and rain.

Every day you move it later, it's a day less rest for the quarter finals.

It's also lining up to be the biggest typhoon to ever hit Japan, the last big one this summer killed 3 and caused $7bn in damages. If there's no transport, electricity or water in and around the stadium, it's not necessarily going to be fixed within 24 hours.

Soldato
Every day you move it later, it's a day less rest for the quarter finals.

It's also lining up to be the biggest typhoon to ever hit Japan, the last big one this summer killed 3 and caused $7bn in damages. If there's no transport, electricity or water in and around the stadium, it's not necessarily going to be fixed within 24 hours.

Does anyone think a day or two's less rest before the next game is a worse state of affairs than teams being kicked out of the tournament without having the opportunity to compete? Obviously if there's the infrastructure is in no fit state then don't play, but why not have some options open at least to play the game if possible. It's just daft.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone think a day or two's less rest before the next game is a worse state of affairs than teams being kicked out of the tournament without having the opportunity to compete? Obviously if there's the infrastructure is in no fit state then don't play, but why not have some options open at least to play the game if possible. It's just daft.

I do think that the difference between a 6/7 day rest, and a 5 day rest, is very significant. Especially factoring in travel.

Thing is, all the teams signed up to the agreement that pool games would not be postponed. At the same time, if they offer something to one game, it has to be applied equally to all.

The only team genuinely able to make a difference, is Scotland, and that game hasn't been cancelled yet. Even then, I'd back Japan against them as we've seen them play so far.

Soldato
I do think that the difference between a 6/7 day rest, and a 5 day rest, is very significant. Especially factoring in travel.

Yes it is significant, but I find it very hard to believe that anyone would prefer the course of the tournament to be decided by a no contest without the players ever setting foot on the pitch, to the relatively minor impact of a reduced rest period.

It's just bloody daft, no one should have signed up to having no possibility of rescheduling or moving decisive matches in a world cup.

The argument that Italy are unlikely to beat NZ just makes a farce of the competition. Why bother with groups at all if that's the attitude, just put the tier 1 nations straight into a knockout.

Soldato
Well, as I expected, the typhoon blew through rapidly as they tend to do and there's no problem with the Scotland game today. Really don't know why yesterday's games couldn't have been postponed.

Wales v Uruguay showed up Wales' main weakness, a lack of quality in depth. No doubt their first team is competitive right now but you do worry a bit if they pick up some injuries....but looks like they came through today unscathed.

A bit torn on who to support for Scotland v France, as I'm half Scottish, but I'd love to see Japan go through. I'll be happy with either result so guess I will just enjoy it, should be some tries..

Soldato
This Japanese team is class, easily the best attacking side in the tournament, so clinical and accurate with their passing.

No way Scotland are going through. No one's going to want to play Japan in the quarters.

Back
Top Bottom