Disatissfaction

Permabanned
So you must already know how the system works. It is in no way perfect, but it works. If you paid cash for a house and two cars why do you need anything on credit? Go private for health care, you seem to be able to afford it.
Thread doesn't quite ring true.

OP must have loads of money. They should donate £50 to everyone that posts in this thread. Nothing better than paying cash for everything. :) No credit is the best way in life.

Permabanned
Hello!

It might just be the new sign up system. Believe me I was surprised to be greeted by full name as forum name.

Can't see OcUK wanting to use firstname and second names. No chance.

EDIT: I just went to the signup page to check and nope. What you have done is put your first name and second name in the name field instead of a username lol.

j9Om8hH.png

Last edited:
Soldato
:D

Well that isn't necessarily true - plenty of people with British citizenship are born overseas and have never even lived in the UK - especially in Australia - just having British parent can mean you're also British citizen.
Bloody British, coming over here wanting our credit.

Associate
OP
Is Paula Trewick trolling us all.
nope
So you must already know how the system works. It is in no way perfect, but it works. If you paid cash for a house and two cars why do you need anything on credit? Go private for health care, you seem to be able to afford it.
Thread doesn't quite ring true.
I dont care whether you think its true...people use credit for all sorts of things. I dont want to use my savings for a vehicle upgrade. A credit card is a must for travelling and booking of certain facilities. No fool uses all their savings for these types of things :rolleyes:

Soldato
nope

I dont care whether you think its true...people use credit for all sorts of things. I dont want to use my savings for a vehicle upgrade. A credit card is a must for travelling and booking of certain facilities. No fool uses all their savings for these types of things :rolleyes:
So if someone moves to Australia do they get instant credit and a free doctor? I'm genuinely interested because I would find it a bit strange to move halfway around the world without researching this stuff first.

Caporegime
We don't have enough money for our NHS to have the ideal world.

For appointments I have to ring up at 8am to get an appointment in 2 days. Emergencies are catered for.
So yes, this sucks. But only way to improve it is higher tax. Which people also won't like

As to the credit, yeah, you won't get it without history. But if you're a cash buyer for a house you probably have enough not to be bothered too much by insurance or private health care

Associate
OP
Bloody British, coming over here wanting our credit.
:D

Well that isn't necessarily true - plenty of people with British citizenship are born overseas and have never even lived in the UK - especially in Australia - just having British parent can mean you're also British citizen.
I was born in the UK, I went on to live in several different countries and then attended boarding school in the UK till my parents decided we should move to Australia. Australia is where I finished my a levels etc and lived for many years until my husband wanted to come and live here for some time :p

Associate
OP
So if someone moves to Australia do they get instant credit and a free doctor? I'm genuinely interested because I would find it a bit strange to move halfway around the world without researching this stuff first.
If you are entering Australia legally to reside you are entitled to free medical care under medicare. As for credit, if you are employed, show savings, assets etc then yes you would be able to get some form of credit. Insurance for cars?? Im unsure. We used an international company in Australia and brought our documents to the UK showing how many years we had rating one status etc. however, these were not allowed to be taken in to consideration. I certainly never thought it was going to be a major issue when coming here. Credit eligibility I assumed would be fine because the house was purchased outright! But I was wrong.

Soldato
Yes it catches a few people out, even if they have well paid jobs people can struggle to get credit simply because they have always bought things outright and don't have a credit history. You might indeed need to apply for a 'bad credit' card and use it for a year simply to build up some history. Go on one of the compare sites first though to see which ones you are eligible for before you apply, as getting turned down for credit over and over again certainly won't help...
Try this site:
https://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/?p=0&cicp1=&source=GOO-0X000000EC0F3B6181&mckv=sVgSeAvv7|dc_pcrid_248135188771_mtype_e_kword_credit card eligibility checker_2764ri918980_slid__pgrid_17363150163_ptaid_kwd-24386524682&uuid=11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111&Device=c&engine=google&ptaid=kwd-24386524682&gclid=CjwKCAjwlovtBRBrEiwAG3XJ-7x16UAQcsCJcLnuN8QoreX-hGDxB64fYKkBjN-LAlEx9kmH-xrTcxoC6lIQAvD_BwE&adloc=1006875&pgrid=17363150163

Caporegime
If you are entering Australia legally to reside you are entitled to free medical care under medicare.

Not entirely correct. You receive SOME services for free. Ambulances, for example, are chargeable. Also in a number of instances you have to pay upfront and get the costs refunded. That's not the case here.

As for credit, if you are employed, show savings, assets etc then yes you would be able to get some form of credit.

You can also get 'some form of credit' here. I couldn't walk in to a car dealership in Melbourne and walk out with a brand new car on credit. They'd tell me to go do one. Just like they will to you in a dealership here. And rightly so!

Associate
OP
Not entirely correct. You receive SOME services for free. Ambulances, for example, are chargeable. Also in a number of instances you have to pay upfront and get the costs refunded. That's not the case here.

You can also get 'some form of credit' here. I couldn't walk in to a car dealership in Melbourne and walk out with a brand new car on credit. They'd tell me to go do one. Just like they will to you in a dealership here. And rightly so!
You dont have to pay upfront here?? Thats right because you cant see a bloody DR!!!!!! You are incorrect on having to pay upfront! You have a choice of Dr's some charge the rebatable Medicare fee and therefore you are bulk billed and pay nothing. Other Drs charge above the alloted fee and you may have to pay the out of pocket expenses. The Dr I attended charged $11.00 AUD over the rebateable amount and thats what I handed over the counter. If you receive social security in any shape or form you are provided a health care card and you do not pay any for medical consultation not do you pay for an ambulance. Ambulance cover can be purchased for approx $25.00 for a single $80.00 for a family and you are covered for everything Australia wide

As for the car, dont tell me what I cant get in Melbourne. You can obtain credit if it is secured!! I didnt get off the plane yesterday and walk into the dealership and ask for a car!! Theres nothing worse than someone like you telling me about things you have little understanding of !!:rolleyes:

Soldato

When my friend went to live in aus he more or less did exactly that, within a few weeks of arriving he had a car on finance , rented a house etc

Back
Top Bottom