Approved Used BMW - haggling potential?

Soldato
Hey folks,

Thinking of picking up a 68-plate BMW 530e M Sport. There appear to be about 50 identical spec cars (varying in colour) from £27,500 to £30,000 with sub 5k miles. Does anybody know if there would be any scope for haggling on the cheaper of these cars? Is pricing done centrally or individual dealers? I don't mind travelling for the right car/dealer who wants to do business.

Man of Honour
not on price. but could get a service pack thrown in (usually)

What? I've never ever bought an auc at sticker price. There is always room to move.

The less popular the car the easier it is. The 530e is fairly unloved so there should be scope for a good deal.

Associate
Thanks for the replies. I gather if something has been sitting there for a while they're possibly more likely to haggle?

@Fox - what sort of % would be realistic?

You'd be suprised how fast cars can get sold. If a car has been sitting there for a while it might have something undesirable about it e.g. Colour, Spec, Engine, Mileage

Associate
I got money off my 5 series when I bought it a while back from my local bmw dealership also got a service pack thrown in and gap insurance. I know it probably was subsidised in the price and I did pay for it but they threw it in anyway and I was paying less so was happy. Think they knew I wanted it anyways with 2 test drives on the same day

Associate
Saying that I tried the Newcastle bmw for a 4 series not long ago and they said there priced to sell no nudging at all and no service packs, wanted a deposit to secure there and then before I'd even went down to see it.
After speaking to a few other places in the area there known to be pushy! Almost told to be.

Associate
I got money off my 5 series when I bought it a while back from my local bmw dealership also got a service pack thrown in and gap insurance. I know it probably was subsidised in the price and I did pay for it but they threw it in anyway and I was paying less so was happy. Think they knew I wanted it anyways with 2 test drives on the same day

Did you get it new?

Soldato
I've literally walked on cars and they've not budged! In one instance I told them £500 off and I'd drive it out that afternoon. Still refused to move.

People over estimate the profit in a used car. £1200 is about average.
Though it is going to be a bit more than that on the prestige brands of course.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
only going on N=2 (not myself though...my friends)
none of them managed to haggle money off, only service packs thrown in

There is one particular dealer group which I have heard will absolutely not ever move on price. But they are very much in the minority. As I said, every single AUC car I (4) and my Dad (6) have purchased have been for less than the advertised price.

Service packs thrown is actually a fairly odd one - the good service packs were the BMW UK ones which the dealers couldn't discount and they cost them pretty much what they cost you, so there is no real incentive to chuck one in - its the same as giving cash off.

The percentage will vary - you'll get very little off a very keenly priced example of a popular spec combo but you might get a significant amount off something a bit more marmite or something that has been sitting around for quite some time. The biggest I've managed was 10%, but I gather this is a fairly rare amount to expect. Typically it is 2-5%. My last one was too new but I've always managed to get a 2nd year warranty thrown in as well despite the fact some dealers initially claim this is not possible.

I got hold of a 6 Series GT for my Dad a few months back, it took quite a bit of searching and calling for the right car at the right money but none of the dealers I spoke with refused to move on price - they would all shave something off.

Obviously many of them are good at their job - if they've worked out you'll buy the car at the sticker price then why would they reduce that?

Soldato
You'll only get a very small amount off unless you're leasing it unfortunately. BMW dealers don't like cash buyers anymore.

We bought two nearly new BMWs from two different franchises in the last year and tried hard to get a discount but it was minimal to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom