Has Dreamworks ran out of ideas ?

Soldato
after watching the trailer for the latest dreamwork movie I stared to wonder has Dreamworks ran out of ideas ?

with the last few movies released and the ones coming out it seam dreamworks no longer have a idea on what to do other then b or c grade movie and sequel and cheap TVs show.

mostly seam like a cash grab

Maybe NBC universal paid too much for it.

Associate
Abominable

Just watched the trailer. Thought it looked alright.

I wouldn't say run out of idea, but more targeting it towards the CHINESE audience. I can literally see the pitch in the boardroom.
Writers: "We have this great idea for an abominable snowman movie"
NBC: "Cool, now have can we make it appeal to a Chinese audience"

Man of Honour
Most of the non-Pixar ones are horrid. I think it’s ‘illumination’ that are the worst. The Secret Life of Pets was terrible. Horrible, horrible film. Never have so many characters been so unlikable. Also, the disposable me films are horrific, save for the minions.

Soldato
Funnily I had this conversation with some folks in the office about Disney a few months ago. Disney feel creatively bankrupt right now, barely any new material coming out of note just live action remakes that add nothing to the original stories. Pixar division being the exception.

Associate
Funnily I had this conversation with some folks in the office about Disney a few months ago. Disney feel creatively bankrupt right now, barely any new material coming out of note just live action remakes that add nothing to the original stories. Pixar division being the exception.

Haha Disney are just milking as much as they can from their IPs (bought or originals). As long as they keep making £1bil from each film they make, i dont think they will slow down any time soon.

Soldato
You sound surprised. All movies these days are just quick cash grabbers with as little money spent as possible.

Take Gladiator for example. I watched it last night they really don't make movies like that anymore. The script, the effects, the soundtrack and the extras used. Its from the year 2000 and holds its own against all modern day "epics".
There is no such thing as an epic now.

Caporegime
Took the family to see Abominable yesterday and it was quite good.

My 8 year old daughter loved the beautiful visuals and music. She's learning the violin so it appealed a lot.

Story wise it was ok, but not up there with the best.

Soldato
Some of them are watchable, but Dreamworks films have always been a pale imitation of what Pixar produce. Pixar films run the whole gamut of human emotion, it's amazing what feeling they put in. Watching Inside Out at the cinema is still one of the most traumatic film watching experiences of my life!
Dreamworks on the other hand... some of them are funny.

Soldato
I think we have to remember that a lot of these films are really aimed at younger children than us. Making Toy Story esque animations that appeal to a broad gamut of viewers is really quite difficult.

Permabanned
I think we have to remember that a lot of these films are really aimed at younger children than us. Making Toy Story esque animations that appeal to a broad gamut of viewers is really quite difficult.

They are, however there are tons of "kids" films that are also great/a good watch for adults. Then there is Rio 2.

Back
Top Bottom