FPS drops in new AMD build.

Associate
Please help to identify the component responsible for this. I have tested it in Subnautica but also is seen in other games. GPU is underutilised even under low settings (loaded to as low as 0-30% while FPS is low) and causes frame drops from 140 to 40. Game is installed on SSD, also moved to NVME, no change.

System Configuration:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE AORUS X570 ELITE

CPU: RYZEN 3600

Memory: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K8G4D32AESCK 3200 MHz (XMP on)

GPU: MSI 5700 XT GAMING X

VBIOS: BK-AMD VER017.001.000.049.000000

Driver: 19.10.1

What am I dealing with here - poor AMD drivers or my RAM issue?

Associate
I would suggest running some tests for the RAM.
Also worthy checking if you're using the last BIOS for your motherboard, as most of the x570 motherboards are receiving updates to improve compatibility with NVME drives and Ryzen 3000 series boost management.

Associate
OP
What would you suggest for RAM, memtest86? Looking into this further I think subnautica is just poorly optimised. I tried other games - BF1 for example achieve very high FPS but stutters at times, I think my system is not powerful enough to handle ultra. Game seems to suggest medium settings for me. Somewhat surprised by this as I have played it on GF 970 but then again, I am jumping to 2K resolution here. Still testing at medium settings and other games.
In game benchmarks seems smooth but in game, fps drop occasionally.

Associate
memtest86.
Try to check, using HWiNFO64 the temperature for your NVME.
Had previous issue with GPU blowing hot air straight over the M.2 drive. Also check if Chrome is off. Sometimes videos or other autoplay features may cause such drops.
If the NVME temperature is up to 70c, no problem, as they're fine to operate quite hot before throttling.

Associate
OP
NVME is 29C. What is odd though is RAM is shown as running at 1600 MHz unless I am missing something here. Unless is shows half the rate as it is dual channel?

Associate
OP
Very difficult to pinpoint the issue. Dirt Rally stutters, unplugged my joystick and TrackIR, now runs smoothly. :eek: BF1, after googling and switching to DX11 seems to be fine on ultra. It seems that every game has its own issues...

Associate
OP
Thanks for everyone's input. I am yet to test my RAM as this will take a bit of time. Suspect this is due to game issues, specific to each title, and not my hardware. That's what I have reached so far anyway. As an example, The Division 2 stutters in the exact same moments on my friend's PC who uses Geforce 1070.

Back
Top Bottom