VW anti corrosion/bodywork warranty claim

Associate
Hi guys, I need some help with a warranty claim.

My mother-in-law has a 2012 VW Up that she purchased in 2014 from a VW main dealer. She was round last weekend and asked me to look at her car as there is rust coming through around the petrol filler flap.

Here's a pic of the worst affected area:

DSC-0073.jpg

There's are no chips or damage to the affected area and the rust is coming up through the panel. On the early Ups there is no arch liners fitted and you can get your hand up above the filler cap from inside the arch.

I checked online and see VW have a 12yr bodywork warranty, the terms and conditions of this warranty are:

Body protection warranty
All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration.

The only preconditions are:

* The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Repairer network as soon as it is discovered and within the warranty period.
* The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external corrosion (rusting).
* A member of the Volkswagen Authorised Repairer network must be advised about any rusting as soon as it is found.
* All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer's specification and procedures, using only approved parts and materials, so the original level of anti-corrosion protection is maintained

She called the local VW dealership and went down yesterday to see them and get the car checked over. The guy who deals with the bodywork warranty works is stating that it's not covered by the 12yr anti corrosion warranty as "that's only for if it's really bad and rots through into a hole". He has suggested that VW will pay for 75% of the works and it would be away for 3-4 weeks. As it isn't warranty work she'd have to pay £12 a day for a courtesy car. He's getting an estimated price and getting back to her.

Now tell me if you think differently, but I think that they are taking the **** and trying to fob her off. I've told her to ask for it in writing why it isn't covered under the 12yr warranty.

Any advice on how to proceed from here? Has anyone successfully made a claim on the VW bodywork warranty?

Thanks

Permabanned
Sounds like a fair offer, not sure why it would take so long, 1 week is reasonable.

Ask the vw man if she should wait until it rots through, get him to acknowledge in writing that she has made him aware of it.

Soldato
Talking rubbish and trying to fob you off. After all their preconditions state

* A member of the Volkswagen Authorised Repairer network must be advised about any rusting as soon as it is found.

Not ... we will only repair if

if it's really bad and rots through into a hole

Associate
OP
Sounds like a fair offer, not sure why it would take so long, 1 week is reasonable.

Ask the vw man if she should wait until it rots through, get him to acknowledge in writing that she has made him aware of it.

Apparently it takes so long because the repairs are carried out down south, we're up in the north east, and they replace the complete rear quarter.

So say 3 weeks at £12 per day for the courtesy car is £250 alone, then 25% of the cost to remove the rear quarter, weld in a new one, then paint and blend in the new panel isn't going to be cheap!

Talking rubbish and trying to fob you off. After all their preconditions state

Not ... we will only repair if

That's my thinking, but so far they're not playing ball.

Will be interesting to see what the written reasons are for it not being covered.

I intend on challenging the initial offer, just looking for advice on who is best to speak/complain too if I get nowhere at the dealership.

Associate
I live near Stafford and my dealer said all bodywork is done at Liverpool so I would need to add a few days for transport up and back down. So I had my repair done at a local Indy bodyshop. As for that corrosion, I would want them to do it all under warranty, it is a manufacturing defect. I would be prepared to contact VW UK about it or try a different dealer.

Soldato
Had the front wings on my MK5 R32 covered by this when they started to bubble. No rust visible, but a known weak spot based on motoring forums. They just took measurements of paint thickness in various areas around the bubbling to ensure it hadn't been repaired and resprayed in the past then sorted out all the paperwork. Initially they came back with something close to 75% covered but I pushed back and said I wanted them to cover it all as per the 12-year warranty and they sorted it. Seem to think the garage itself paid the extra and VW Warranty still paid for the 75% but I got it all done for free and they finished the job within 10-days.

Soldato

Now tell me if you think differently, but I think that they are taking the **** and trying to fob her off. I've told her to ask for it in writing why it isn't covered under the 12yr warranty.

Any advice on how to proceed from here? Has anyone successfully made a claim on the VW bodywork warranty?

Thanks

Completely being fobbed off. Just wait for them to blame her for causing corrosion, or a random stone from a fallen asteroid has caused it.

Firstly, have a browse online for similar cases and how they progress/were dealt with. It might give you an idea on the best way to proceed.

Then, push back hard, first things first is raise a complaint, as that will get escalated past the initial numpty you spoke to.

Soldato
Not sure how on the one hand they can say it's not covered, then on the other offer 75% towards works. It's either covered or it's not. Definitely trying to fob you off OP.

Associate
OP
Cheers guys, pretty much backs up my initial thoughts. I'm waiting for my mother in law to get it in writing why it's not covered before going any further, will update the thread as soon as I have more information.

Soldato
"Perforation" maybe the key word here as I remember a few stories about Toyota refusing repairs a few years back due to the wording in their warranty only covering rust that was completely rotted through to a hole. Check the forums etc. and see if anyone has been able to force this by persistence.

Associate
OP
I’ve got the same issue, I’m wondering if you managed to get yours sorted out? Wondering how to do it if you did.

Nope, VW wouldn't budge on their stance. In the end she just traded it in at a Skoda main dealer for a used Fabia as she was planning on getting something bigger anyways. Despite the rust they gave her a really good trade in price, so was a bit of a no brainer.

Due to having a lot on we didn't really fight VW as much as we possibly could have. There are reports of them being fixed under warranty so you could put forward a strong case and dig your heals in until you get a result you're happy with. Good luck

Soldato
My mum had a 09" civic which were renowned for rusting along the top of the windscreen seal on the roof. It was only 4 years old and Honda tried to fob her off by saying as it wasnt serviced at a main dealer and corrosion inspection was a part of their service checks.

After showing proof of other people with the same issue being sorted under warranty they eventually said they would cover it after a month of arguing. They sent it to their local bodywork place and when it was all done, they wanted payment off my mum for the work then she explained it was under warranty and Honda sorted it all out.

Turns out Honda didn't sort anything out and after a heated debate with the body shop they let my mum have the car back then chased Honda for payment.

Always wonder how the rich get rich....

Soldato
Are wheels covered by this? I Notice my 10 year old SEAT has a bit of bubbling on an alloy. Seems reasonable to me but if its covered then I may as well see if I can get it sorted!

Man of Honour
Had the front wings on my MK5 R32 covered by this when they started to bubble. No rust visible, but a known weak spot based on motoring forums. They just took measurements of paint thickness in various areas around the bubbling to ensure it hadn't been repaired and resprayed in the past then sorted out all the paperwork.
Same here on my MK5 GTI had the wing done as it was starting to come through. I think the only thing I had to pay for was £20 insurance for the hire car which I had for a week.

Associate
Are wheels covered by this? I Notice my 10 year old SEAT has a bit of bubbling on an alloy. Seems reasonable to me but if its covered then I may as well see if I can get it sorted!

I have had a couple of wheels under warranty then they refused point blank for the other two as they sad they were caused by stone chips.

Associate

My mother-in-law has a 2012 VW Up that she purchased in 2014 from a VW main dealer. She was round last weekend and asked me to look at her car as there is rust coming through around the petrol filler flap.

DSC-0073.jpg

There's are no chips or damage to the affected area and the rust is coming up through the panel. On the early Ups there is no arch liners fitted and you can get your hand up above the filler cap from inside the arch.

I checked online and see VW have a 12yr bodywork warranty, the terms and conditions of this warranty are:

Body protection warranty
All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration.

* The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Repairer network as soon as it is discovered and within the warranty period.
* The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external corrosion (rusting).
* All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer's specification and procedures, using only approved parts and materials, so the original level of anti-corrosion protection is maintained

She called the local VW dealership and went down yesterday to see them and get the car checked over. The guy who deals with the bodywork warranty works is stating that it's not covered by the 12yr anti corrosion warranty as "that's only for if it's really bad and rots through into a hole". He has suggested that VW will pay for 75% of the works and it would be away for 3-4 weeks. As it isn't warranty work she'd have to pay £12 a day for a courtesy car. He's getting an estimated price and getting back to her.

Thanks
Paints not damaged, that’s a defect. Get a written quote from a good body shop stating why they think

DSC-0073.jpg

Body protection warranty

Thanks
go back and secretly record then post it up on vw’s Facebook page.

I had to do this for a £70 duvet. Lasted 2 weeks before the stitching fell apart, they wouldn’t exchange because I didt have the recipt. Facebook fixed it for me.

Back
Top Bottom