What film did you watch last night?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Joker - 5/10

acting from JP was top draw but the plot, pacing and progression of the film was bad. It felt like pure Oscar fodder which lacked any real substance behind it.

I went in with an open mind and wanted to enjoy it but I simply didn’t. There was no subtle subplot, there was no clever social commentary. Struggling to see how it’s getting such praise.

Soldato
Slightly off topic but been to the cinema twice this week and theres a really annoying advert that is way louder than everything else about an animal charity. Like we get it, they need some funding but please don’t deafen me!

Soldato
In The Tall Grass - quite a well made and suspenseful small scale horror movie based on a Stephen King short story. - 6.5/10.

After hearing a young boy's cry for help, a sister and brother venture into a vast field of tall grass in Kansas but soon discover there may be no way out...and that something evil lurks within.

Man of Honour
Fractured 6.5/10 - watchable twisty mystery but let down somewhat as IMO... big spoilers...

... had a rather poor second half where the plot didn’t really seem to develop further beyond ‘where are my wife and child?’

Also, anyone else think that when filming they had intended for some continuity confusion? The nurse/junior that appeared in a blue coat then very deliberately showed up in a white coat as a qualified doctor implying the passage of time... but that didn’t go anywhere.

Top marks for ms. Nitefly who declared at the time before they even got to the hospital “yeah wife is dead she hit her head on those spikes when he pushed her - bodies in the car” :eek: .Didn’t realise she was Jonathan ****ing Creek.

Enjoyable watch but no desire to revisit now I know the mystery.

Soldato
Also, anyone else think that when filming they had intended for some continuity confusion? The nurse/junior that appeared in a blue coat then very deliberately showed up in a white coat as a qualified doctor implying the passage of time... but that didn’t go anywhere.
@Nitefly, was that the.....
young chap he shot in the leg while making his escape with the 'wife and kid'? from the flashback/rewind at the end as he drove away i thought they 'explained' that his was just his broken mind creating the illusion that this guy was the orderly who took the wife and daughter away in the lift when in fact he was a doctor he had seen in passing when he first entered to be treated.
i'd agree that they intentionally created continuity confusion to highlight the depth of the fantasy he had created to protect himself from what had actually happened. i thought it was quite clever actually.

even more strangely, mrs kwango said the same re the wife being goosed already (though she covered her bases somewhat by saying she was either dead and in the boot or may have just run off with the kid) - must be a womans intuition! i'm normally quite good at 'sussing' these sorts of movies out but i have to admit i was a bit back and forth in my own mind as to what was going to be the outcome.

Soldato
Top marks for ms. Nitefly who declared at the time before they even got to the hospital “yeah wife is dead she hit her head on those spikes when he pushed her - bodies in the car” :eek: .Didn’t realise she was Jonathan ****ing Creek.

When they went back the second time with the police and I saw the spikes on the floor, I thought someone was going to end up getting spiked. I didn't twig that they already had!

Man of Honour
@Thekwango & @Street

Yeah I was on about he guy that got shot at the end. Seemed to be alluding that he was confusing his experiences at the hospital from 8 years ago when his wife died (when that doctor was a junior) with his new experiences (when that doctor was qualified / senior) but actually that never happened - there was no reveal at all to it being the same hospital, not that he had been there before. Maybe I’m just a little bummed my hunches went to nowhere but I don’t like red herrings and it did seem to strongly allude that he had been to that hospital before...

... but it was all explained by virtue of the fact that he was loopy and everything was made up on the spot. Oh. Somehow I think they missed a trick there.

I actually thought that he was in a coma / head injury from his fall and was fantasising things, the balloon reappearing made that obvious, but to fantasise such large parts of what we saw was a bit much. Could have been more subtle.

Didn’t affect my enjoyment of it whilst watching, just my retrospective analysis.

And yes, excellent female intuition!

PayDay Lover
Associate
Hobbs & Shaw 7/10. Pretty much exactly what you expect, so if not a fan of the brainless F&F type films, then one to avoid. But if you are, then this spin off is enjoyable and I will happily watch more in the future. I enjoyed the banter between the leads (though there were a couple times it was a bit overlong) though I think my favorite banter was between Ryan Reynolds and Dwayne.

Avengers End Game 5/10. Watched it mainly because I have seen everything else and wanted to get to the conclusion. Underwhelming and over long movie. One of the weakest Marvel films. To be honest, despite enjoying superhero movies, I miss the days where a comic book movie was a rare and exciting treat. Nowadays they have become the movie equivalent of Fast Food

Soldato
@Thekwango & @Street

Yeah I was on about he guy that got shot at the end. Seemed to be alluding that he was confusing his experiences at the hospital from 8 years ago when his wife died (when that doctor was a junior) with his new experiences (when that doctor was qualified / senior) but actually that never happened - there was no reveal at all to it being the same hospital, not that he had been there before. Maybe I’m just a little bummed my hunches went to nowhere but I don’t like red herrings and it did seem to strongly allude that he had been to that hospital before...

... but it was all explained by virtue of the fact that he was loopy and everything was made up on the spot. Oh. Somehow I think they missed a trick there.

I actually thought that he was in a coma / head injury from his fall and was fantasising things, the balloon reappearing made that obvious, but to fantasise such large parts of what we saw was a bit much. Could have been more subtle.

Didn’t affect my enjoyment of it whilst watching, just my retrospective analysis.

And yes, excellent female intuition!
@Nitefly
funnily enough,

my initial thoughts were he as in a coma too - also because of the balloon at the accident site. i then fell into the train of thought that he was right and there was a conspiracy and the film was just trying to cleverly hide that (much to my wifes ultimate joy given that during the apparent rescue i sort of rubbed my her nose in the fact she was wrong, was even rooting for the sod right up until the rearview mirror!)

they definitely missed a trick or 2 - while the film was good, they could have made it so much 'more' with just a little bit more thought/writing. the biggest negative i have of the film is that it felt a little bit rushed while at the same time being too drawn out in places. i know that's counterintuitive but it's the best explanation i can think of. almost as if they tried to stuff too much into the 1hr 40mins then felt the need to 'wham bang' it right at the end. still a very good film though.

Caporegime
Hobbs and Shaw. Bringing the BS meter to crazy new heights for a F&F movie. I mean seriously grabbing a chain that is being pulled by a several tonne blackhawk will rip any man's arm right out of his shoulder unless your name is Dwayne the rock Johnson. It's a good mindless action film but my god some scenes even make "Hollywood" look tame!

Back
Top Bottom