Poll: Japanese Grand Prix 2019, Suzuka - Race 17/21

Rate the 2019 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Transmission breaker
Don
The spring which hit Massa wasn't exactly large.

Nope, it was pretty large and quite weighty, I held one in my hand shortly afterwards when in the William's factory.

Still, thats why the helmet design was changed, and has continued to do so. The lowering of the visor is quite specific to help with these kind of potential impacts.

Earlier changes were made before the latest batch too, specifically to help with a Massa type accident a composite shield placed at the top of the visor for 2010/11 I think.

The helmet designs are continually adjusted and changed to work with the cockpit design, and the halo allowed the helmet to get better at dealing with smaller high speed items and lets the halo handle the heavier larger items.

Transmission breaker
Don
Lol,

As a Renault supporter this looks like a slam dunk. What are they playing at?

They will probably exit soon.
No engine customers, a company that aims to gain a profit from f1, beaten by a customer team.

Not got much more to say

Anyone know the details? At a guess from the wording, some form of automatic brake bias adjust as the race went on, to adjust for fuel use?

Seems odd, as presumably the driver are fairly used to doing this on their own and down to preference?

Hmmm

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Welp, rated it 5.

10, less:
1 for modern F1 aero
1 for modern F1 drivers
1 for the bunfight in fandumb that the stewards allowed to happen re: potential penalties
1 for how even a race at Suzuka ends up dull as a particularly dull thing these days
1 for Sky coverage being ****

Roll on the next big rule change, and the possibility - however slight - that the on-track product improves enough that talk of reverse grids and other such bull**** can be consigned to the dustbin...

Transmission breaker
Don
Roll on the next big rule change, and the possibility - however slight - that the on-track product improves enough that talk of reverse grids and other such bull**** can be consigned to the dustbin...

To close up the field, stability of the regs are needed, dimishing returns make sure of that.

Far better would be the sharing of designs for certain parts to reduce costs/development for the lower teams. Allowing them to compete on a more even field.

Rules rewrites are fun for a bit, but it just allows the big teams to out spend and out develop the smaller teams by a larger margin.

However if they do allow cars to follow (which will be nice), it will take 2-3 years for the lower teams to get closer again. Let's hope the regs remain stable or iterative after that to stop these big changes affecting spread.

Transmission breaker
Don
Soldato
I had to watch the race replay and just seen a Hamilton onboard shot. Leclerc should be getting a race ban.

Very lucky. The halo wouldn't necessarily have stopped such small objects.

He would have been fine.

The new 2019 helmet regs are designed for the following:

Advanced Ballistic Protection: A 225g metal projectile fired at 250km/h. The peak deceleration shall not exceed 275G.

Visor penetration: Air rifle fires 1.2g pellet at visor. Pellet must not penetrate the interior of the helmet.

Amongst many other changes. The specs of the helmet are closely linked to the protection provided by the halo.

Doesn't really matter. We shouldn't be testing the reliability of of helmets in a live race. Regardless it would likely have disorientated him or knocked him unconscious.

Man of Honour
I had to watch the race replay and just seen a Hamilton onboard shot. Leclerc should be getting a race ban.

Doesn't really matter. We shouldn't be testing the reliability of of helmets in a live race. Regardless it would likely have disorientated him or knocked him unconscious.

Leclerc has turned into a real jerk. And a moany one at that.

Transmission breaker
Don

I agree, risks should be minimized, and he has since been penalised, setting a precedent. I am not saying that what he did was ok, but that the driver protection system is now very good with the halo and new helmet designs. It's not infallible, but the halo is a big step forward.

Soldato
I agree, risks should be minimized, and he has since been penalised, setting a precedent. I am not saying that what he did was ok, but that the driver protection system is now very good with the halo and new helmet designs. It's not infallible, but the halo is a big step forward.

A 10 second penalty is not a punishment commensurate to the risk. The precedent is that it is a 10 second gamble which might save you a long pitstop at the wrong time. A gamble that does not correctly take into account there is a very real possibility it could result in an avoidable death or serious injury of another driver. It was a completely selfish act.

Back
Top Bottom