Is there any upgrades on my rig to give a decent boost?

Associate
Looking to see if there is anything on the market yet worth considering ?

i7700k
64gb DDR (15-15-15-36)
Z270e Gaming Motherboard
1080ti GFX
Various HDD/SSD etc

I used my rig for

Dual Scrrening
Photoshop
Lightroom
Adobe Premier
Streaming Games at 4k

Cheers Yall

Soldato
Hi and welcome to OCUK

Nope - you've pretty much got the same set up as me (I've got the 1080 rather than the ti)

Pointless upgrading right now unless you want bleeding edge or you have software that could really use the extra cores of a new Ryzen setup. Even if you do, I'm not sure you'll get an improvement that's in line with the huge spend. Wait for next gen imho :)

Associate
OP
That makes sense and it's what I suspected but always think it's better to ask haha

Is there a rough time line for next gen?

Thanks again

Associate
As was thought by many when it came out, the 7700k wont age well and it hasnt in my view.
Give it till early next year and pick up a zen2 chip with at least 8 cores.

Associate
Could you get improvements, yes... how much of an improvement vs the cost outlay would for the majority say it’s not worth it. You could upgrade to a 9900K // 3900X with a 2080T Ti.

What RAM do you have?

If I was in your shoes I would wait until Ryzen 4000 and nVidia 30xx to release next year, DDR5 RAM might have made an appearance by then too.

Soldato
Could you get improvements, yes... how much of an improvement vs the cost outlay would for the majority say it’s not worth it. You could upgrade to a 9900K // 3900X with a 2080T Ti.

If I was in your shoes I would wait until Ryzen 4000 and nVidia 30xx to release next year, DDR5 RAM might have made an appearance by then too.
2080 Ti simply isn't worth its buttrape and robbery price for small performance increase over 1080 Ti.
Even if GPU were slower it would still have sucktastic bang per buck.

But in streaming games quad core isn't much and relies entirely on hardware encoding.

DDR5 likely won't be coming into desktop platforms until 2021.
AMD certainly can't risk releasing platform without good memory availability and don't think Intel wants to do that either even if their bank account would allow taking such risk.
And DDR5 standard hasn't even been finalized yet and is as late as Intel's 10nm.

Back
Top Bottom