• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4770K to 3700X, worthwhile upgrade?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/3800x-vs-9900k.18866559/

the op of that thread goes into memory timmings quite a lot on that thread:) but it is reguarded that samsung b-die is the best at the moment and currently the 3600 i cheaper on oc then the 3200 kit
I got my corsair one for around £75. Just not sure if it's worth the extra outlay for the b-die stuff for me. But need to look into it as I can't even get this ram to work on xmp settings just yet. Not that I have had any chance to play about with it yet. Maybe tonight.

Soldato
I went 4770K at 4.5 to 3800X and yes, IMO it’s been very much worthwhile. Using my 1080Ti on both systems I’ve seen performance jumps across the board. You’d definitely see improvements on the 3700X too, there’s little between the 37 and 38.

As an example, Company of Heroes 2 on my 4770K vs 3800X.

3440x1440 all graphical options maxed.

Min 35.02
Max 75.32
Ave 49.18

3800X
Min 54.67
Max 96.52
Ave 80.65

I went with 3200Mhz DDR4 and I’ve left it all alone so far, no attempt at overclocking. Although I might OC the RAM at some point.

This is something i would be considering around Jan/Feb next year. Did you have any initial stability issues with the upgrade? I've read conflicting comments when going with the new Ryzen chips. My 4770k is happy at 4.5ghz and has been for 4 years now and I'm a little loathed to upgrade, since it works perfectly.

Associate
This is something i would be considering around Jan/Feb next year. Did you have any initial stability issues with the upgrade? I've read conflicting comments when going with the new Ryzen chips. My 4770k is happy at 4.5ghz and has been for 4 years now and I'm a little loathed to upgrade, since it works perfectly.

I felt the same way. On the initial BIOS I had some difficulty getting the RAM to run its XMP profile, some difficulty getting the OS installed, and there were also intermittent WHEA errors. Since then it's been 100% stable, not even an application crash, and the WHEA errors have stopped. Performance has been very good, not only in terms of gaming frame rates but the extra cores have made a big difference with how much I can have running without having to worry about it.

Just for reference I went with the following kit:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
Team Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit
Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard

+ a cooler, and reused the PSU from my previous build.

Associate
OP
I felt the same way. On the initial BIOS I had some difficulty getting the RAM to run its XMP profile, some difficulty getting the OS installed, and there were also intermittent WHEA errors. Since then it's been 100% stable, not even an application crash, and the WHEA errors have stopped. Performance has been very good, not only in terms of gaming frame rates but the extra cores have made a big difference with how much I can have running without having to worry about it.

Just for reference I went with the following kit:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
Team Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit
Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard

+ a cooler, and reused the PSU from my previous build.
May I ask why you went for a 570 board instead of a much cheaper B450 (Tomahawk Max for example?)

I'm having a really hard time deciding. (between the Aorus Pro and Tomahawk Max)

Associate
I had the budget and it made sense to me to pair AMD's latest gen CPU with their latest chip-set, VRM config, etc. Also for official PCIe 4.0 support. I expect graphics cards and more SSD's will start supporting PCIe 4.0 in the next few years and I wanted that option.

Finally I'm not sure if AMD's next gen CPU's will be AM4 compatible, but I also wanted the best chance there for a hassle free drop-in upgrade. Otherwise I still have the best compatibility currently available for dropping in a 3900X or 3950X at some point. The term 'future proofing' doesn't mean much with PC tech, it moves so quickly. But that's the crux of it. I'll be keeping this for a while, so I went for the most up-to-date available.

Back
Top Bottom