Project Winter Equinox

Associate
Long time lurker finally putting in a build log. Cant really think of a name so I just thought of the most cliche thing I could. I went to computex in May for ideas on a new build as Ive been doing this for a quite a long time and needed something new.
I bought a new table to build and a modmat. I am waiting on Motherboard and CPU which is going to be (hopefully) Asrock X570 Aqua and AMD 3950X

Specs:
  • CPU: AMD 3950X
  • Motherboard: Asrock X570 Aqua
  • Ram: G.Skill 64GB 16x4 CL16 3600mhz
  • GPU Currently: Asus Strix 1080Ti Overclock 2050mhz Air cooled
  • GPU Final: Next Nvidia High End (3080Ti or Evq) Watercooled.
  • Case: Modded: Thermaltake View 91
  • Top Radiator: HWLabs GTR in Push Pull
  • Front Radiator: HWLabs GTS in Push
  • Tubing: Alphacool Glass Hard Tubing 16OD
  • Fittings : Bykski Blue
  • Pump: Aquacomputer D5 Next RGB
  • Top: Alphacool Eisdecke D5 Plexi Top V.4
  • Fans: Thermaltake Pure ARGB 12 x 12
  • Coolant: Aquacomputer Blue
  • PSU: Superflower 1KW Titanium
  • PSU Shroud: Custom Made Plexiglass with name on.

x7RPiOi.jpg

• Case: Thermaltake View 91 . I fell in love with this the look of the case as ive not had tempered glass before and this case has everything I need in terms of space and hard drive capacity behind the tray. It can also take a distro plate and 2 480 rads with vertical GPU mount. Only downside to the case is a distro plate from Barrow/Bykski has never been made. 7OQSDf5.jpg

• Cooling. This was by far the most expensive part not just for parts used in cooling but tools in order to make some parts.
  1. Radiators: Hardware Labs GTR 480 in push pull as top rad and 480 GTS in front rad in push. Problem came out of how much space the distroplate needed to the side so had to buy a thin rad and I ended up mis-measuring it due to measuring it from the bracket holes to the front forgetting the plate is wider. Still fits though JUST! cZcsHaL.jpg AQBBocu.jpg
  2. Tubing. Alphacool Hardline Glass. This is my greatest fear as ive never done a custom loop let alone a hardline one. I wasnt about to use soft tubing as it still needs cutting to length to look good in my opinion. Glass looks the best to me but jesus wept its expensive and costly to setup. I ordered a Dremel 4000 with a vice and a diamond cutting tool w1E60TV.jpg
  3. Fans. Thermaltake Pure 12 ARGB x12. I was looking for a nice A/RGB fan and just came across these newly released fans and thought I'd keep to the same brand as the case for aesthetic purposes. The RPM is a little low for sheer quick heat extraction in Benchmark mode but Im hoping the sheer number of fans will make up for that U8CxRnh.jpg
  4. Pump. Aquacomputer D5 Next RGB + Ultilitop. Saw this in a Alphacool build at computex and love the options its provides and information. 4KcnY5f.jpg
  5. Distroplate. This ended up being a problem as they do not make one for this case. I ended up going with a Thermaltake Level20 GT Distroplate made by Barrow as Bykski distroplates only run on their own DDC pumps and look bad with the thing sticking out of it. P3JUcDJ.jpg
  6. Coolant. Aquacomputer DP Ultra blue. A nice colour. I tried dyes with distilled water and couldnt get it looking quite right so happy to just have a spare 5 Litres of premix. e17OEq1.jpg
  7. Fittings. Bykski blue. Whilst at computex I was introduced to Bykski as Id never heard of them and they had an amazing array to show off . View attachment 8tEsj77.jpg
  • RAM Gskill Trident Z Neo 64GB 4x16 3600Mhz CL16. I Had to Import this from the US as no where in the UK is selling ram even cheaply or do they even have any AMD ram in stock.
Ill continue to update with pictures as I go along but ive bought so much already its tough to keep track of everything.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking good! I'm liking the metallic blue/clear blue coolant combo.

I wouldn't worry about the name, I reckon it's quite original as we have a winter solstice and a spring and autumn equinox :p

I have the same Simpsons poster!

Associate
OP
Got my bykski fitting extensions from aliexpress today and amazingly the top of the pump with a 90deg fitting in fits perfectly with it. OCUK really needs to supply bykski as they are very few and far between out side china. I know somewhere else nearby claims to be a stockist but they dont actually carry that much from the brand. Im actually going to buy the Alphacool Eisdecke D5 Top for my pump since it has more inputs and outputs and would give me options on the build as the bottom right is going to be messy for tubing and fittings.

Only noticed the last picture seems to have got weird in uploading this forum so ill upload it again here since its to do with the bykski fittings.

View attachment aEyl26S.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looking good! I'm liking the metallic blue/clear blue coolant combo.

I wouldn't worry about the name, I reckon it's quite original as we have a winter solstice and a spring and autumn equinox :p

I have the same Simpsons poster!

Can’t wait to see more done

Thanks! Just ordered the Asrock X570 Aqua. Up until 2 weeks ago I wasnt sure what I was going for X570 or TR3 but the motherboard made the choice for me and AMD said they are only releasing TR3 in a 24 core version for now. Its not enough to warrant the extra cost it will be.

Associate
OP
looks good and have to agree with your earlier posts about bykski they need a UK/EU supplier. they do some top quality stuff.
Winter Solstice or Autumnal equinox?

Looking good

Lol thanks yea there is a distributor in the UK that has some Bykski stuff in but no shop wants to carry it for some reason but they do also sell to the public as they also sell the Hardware Labs Radiators which is ridiculous that OCUK dont sell since they're amazing.

Project Winter Equinox has the name on purpose given how bloody long this build has taken. Only now after buying the case on July 2nd (the 1st thing i bought) Am I installing the motherboard with only the 3950X cpu left to buy and I believe I have about £200 worth of spares in glass tubing and fittings for sure. Let alone all the tools and accessories needed and the extra D5 ultiltop I bought by accident

Soldato
Thanks! Just ordered the Asrock X570 Aqua. Up until 2 weeks ago I wasnt sure what I was going for X570 or TR3 but the motherboard made the choice for me and AMD said they are only releasing TR3 in a 24 core version for now. Its not enough to warrant the extra cost it will be.

TR3 is 48 cores and new socket .. all I can say on that for time being .

Build should looking stunning. Mobo is a lovely bit of kit

Associate
OP
TR3 is 48 cores and new socket .. all I can say on that for time being .

Build should looking stunning. Mobo is a lovely bit of kit

I have been told AMD simply do not have the supply for anything more than 24cores on TR3 at launch. Ive waited long enough and I think TR is still problematic.
But yea the motherboard is fantastic. Im surprised there is nothing like this for X399

Soldato
8r2NSQ8.jpg
First Tube with compression fittings testing . There is water in there and its not leaking so i must be doing something right.

Think you need to pressurize it tbh to really test it out properly. I would blow into the open end as hard as you can to see it will come out from the fittings.

Associate
OP
Think you need to pressurize it tbh to really test it out properly. I would blow into the open end as hard as you can to see it will come out from the fittings.
Tested it with the Dr Drop but yea. took that one apart for now to clean it. Still have to bend it for the temporary bridge on the distro plate.

At the moment I am trying to figure out a bit of a puzzle that is the pumps in and out. Lowered the radiator and I think everything will fit with the pump on its side. It will also provide enough room for a run from the out of the front rad to the distro plate
20191011_165649.jpg

ug8UzRW.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think ive found the level of clean im looking for on these tubes now ive left this one in a pint of water/rubbing alcohol for a day or so after I managed to get some of the wondergrip gloves burnt on it.

muKBKAD.jpg

Back
Top Bottom