Disatissfaction

Associate
Im new to the forum. I used to belong to one years ago but got sidetracked with life. I have recently moved to the UK and am encountering all sorts of issues.

Cant get decent insurance unless I pay a fortune
Cant get finance (wanting a new car) says I haven't got a credit history
Cant get an appointment at the Dr's unless I call in the morning and wait and see if they have one for the same day and only if I give the receptionist details of why I want to see the Dr

What is going on here?

Summary
Moves to Morpeth from Melbourne for food, weather and witty repartee.
Can't get car finance or insurance.
Gets depression but can't see GP until Christmas Eve; a waste of time walking there.
House bound and with an irrational fear of UK city centres Paula decides to post her woes on General Discussion at Overclockers....

Whats next? Roast me on Reddit?

I give her 4 weeks before she hitches to the airport.

Associate
Summary
Gets depression but can't see GP until Christmas Eve; a waste of time walking there.
House bound and with an irrational fear of UK city centres Paula decides to posts her woes on General Discussion at Overclockers....

Spot on summary there.
I'd say 8 weeks ;)

Caporegime
Summary
House bound and with an irrational fear of UK city centres Paula decides to post her woes on General Discussion at Overclockers....
I WOULD WATCH THIS FILM

Caporegime
The UK is an incredibly comfortable country to live in for most of the millions of people who live here and an utter Utopia when compared to the absolute entirety of the planet's history. If find that most of the "it's rubbish here" crowd consumes the terrible media that peddle made-up or exaggeratedly miserable stories.
All the Scandinavian countries are miles better, as are most places in Europe. Fairer, cleaner, friendlier - better.

Sure I'd rather live here than the US or some war-ravaged place in Africa/South-America/the Middle-East, but the UK is hardly an example to the world.

What the UK *is*, however, is a demonstration of what a country looks like when it's run for the benefit of the richest and most powerful. We are the original capitalists, and this country is still set up for and geared towards those with wealth and connections. And your "breeding" still matters much more than it should.

Soldato

At this point iIfeel the need to defend Mumsnet here as I have seen a few folk mention it. as a new dad 3 years ago Mumsnet was a valuable source of info. Not sure I would go there asking for PC advice however.
I dunno it's not my forum so not my rules but general discussion is kind of the anything goes chit chat forum that can safely be ignored if all you care about is computer tech.
That said unless OPnhas an interest in computer tech she could likely find a more useful forum for general chit chat. :)

Caporegime
I wonder whether you actually mean what you imply here - that only the richest and most powerful are capable of bringing up children properly :confused:
It's a well-known phrase. "Good breeding" essentially means you went to Eton, because you're from a well-off, well-connected family with a history of being rich and powerful ;)

It has nothing to do with parenting. It just means you came from an elite family and thus you are groomed for year dot to be a CEO/politician/etc.

Soldato
Its weird, in the UK we get used to all these issues that the OP highlighted. Yes I knew they were issues but it just seemed the norm to deal with it our get around the rules as much as possible.

Now as an expat I am in a new (to me) country where I have access to brilliant medical care (free as well as paid), can get a car without any issue and pay peanuts to run it.

I don't think anyone can deny that the UK is on a bit of a downward trend recently though :(

Soldato
All the Scandinavian countries are miles better, as are most places in Europe. Fairer, cleaner, friendlier - better.

Sure I'd rather live here than the US or some war-ravaged place in Africa/South-America/the Middle-East, but the UK is hardly an example to the world.

What the UK *is*, however, is a demonstration of what a country looks like when it's run for the benefit of the richest and most powerful. We are the original capitalists, and this country is still set up for and geared towards those with wealth and connections. And your "breeding" still matters much more than it should.

I only disagree about the UK being 'hardly an example' and I think most of the world agrees otherwise we would have much less immigration. As for your other points, isn't that just every country though?

Associate
OP
Maybe we should all move to Australia where the healthcare is free, there's great political leadership, no pollution, no racism and it's overflowing with sophisticated culture. Ahhh, the Lucky Country.

It has its good points. Just like here, it also has some really pain in the arse stuff that makes you want to pull your hair out!

Welcome to the country.

Thank you;)

Summary

Nope. I don't think so. Its been 11 months already...I've exceeded your expectation! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Commissario
Dear @paula trewick

Please don't insult other members.
Please use the multi-quote button when responding to multiple posts at once.
Please DM me to get a username change as I've not received anything?

Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom