Breaking Bad Movie - "El Camino"

Man of Honour
Is there any action / excitement / thrills to this, or is it all just 'good acting'? Not that I mind the latter, case in point 'Unbelievable'.

Might give it a go one evening.

Bit of a mix really - probably a third each of slower retrospective scenes, drama and action scenes.

I can see why people would rate it poorly because it sets itself up and especially the PR/promo stuff as something that it isn't really - but it is OK on the basis of its own merits and a good bit of additional material if you are into Breaking Bad - I wouldn't rate it as highly as some of the initial reviews though.

EDIT: I'd be less critical if they do use it as a vehicle for a future mini-series or something but as a stand alone it kind of goes nowhere while the promo stuff looks like it builds upto something.

Associate
I thought it was a nice way to give closure to Jessies journey after all the misfortune of being on the receiving end of several beatings throughout the series.

The only thing I wished it had more of, was the interaction with Skinny Pete and Badger being interrogated by the FBI, or DEA, or police.

The trailers gave me the impression that this is what it would have been which I think would have been better.

I was expecting more tension of the manhunt for Jessie, but was a bit disappointed that everything went more or less to plan for Jessie give or take a few more bumps in the road.

I would give it a solid 6.

Not critical watching, a nice way to end his characters journey and give it closure, but it could have been so much more.

I'm not sure how they could have done it, maybe a trilogy of films with the first being about his initial escape and some flash backs like this one did, add a bit more depth to the brief stay with skinny pete and badger, and their interrogation by the police/whoever

2nd part being about his journey to get to the disappearer. FBI / police search intensifies. Jessie heading out to get the money for the disappearer

3rd act being about jessie getting the money, whilst evading the cops and then completing his journey and new start.

*shrug*

Associate
It wasn't excellent like some BB episodes but was still some nice fan service for me, I felt they got in a lot of nice cameos and the extended Todd part was interesting as expanding on his psycho character, though he'd also expanded his weight and looked the most different out of all the returning characters.

I liked it overall and though and thought it did tie up some loose ends, though maybe Vince Gilligan was trying to satisfy a lot of fans too much.

Sgarrista
Commissario
This is why I don't get the 1/10 or 3/10. Did they rate any episodes that low I wonder? As it's basically more of the same...

People rating it any less than a 5 are just doing it to be "lol against breaking bad". There is zero justification for a score that low. And 5 is as low as I can get it being hyper critical of every bit.

Man of Honour
People rating it any less than a 5 are just doing it to be "lol against breaking bad".

I think it is more the promo material gave an edgier feel, like the manhunt for Jesse would be more intense and build upto something more than it did. So some people are a bit disappointed in that respect.

Soldato
BB fan here, probably the greatest shows that ended right imo. I was on the fence regarding this film though as I've seen so many similar comments regarding it.

Finished watching it earlier and thought it was quite good and watchable. The Todd stuff dragged on a bit and I wanted to see more of Skinny Pete and that other geezer tbh. I had to look up who the vacuum cleaner guy was as it's been too long!

It was nice to finally see how Jesse's journey finally ended even though I had zero issues with how BB ended.

Associate
I was apprehensive about this as I didn't think the series needed anything else, but I enjoyed it over all. As someone mentioned it was like an extra long episode and I think that worked well. Any other format would have felt a bit alien. There were so many ways they could have gone with it, but what they did was well done and anything else would have felt like a different show.

Soldato
OP
You know what, for a guy who was locked up 6-9 months in a cage and kept like an animal, he sure had some very white teeth when he was screaming as he drove away from the compound :D

Soldato
I would watch a Skinny and Badger show, those pair are quality! Almost teared up when Skinny said.. "You're my hero and ****!" Oh and the Star Trek captains chairs :D

Soldato
The whole thing felt disjointed. Basically too many ideas with little time to flesh them out properly, mainly due to the time constraints of the film running time vs a series of episodes. I would have much preferred to have seen this fleshed out into a mini series of 4-5 episodes.

There were some really good parts to the film, such as the Todd flashbacks, the vacuum cleaner guy, the beginning with skinny Pete, badger, and the police after Jesse - lots of really great scenes that could have been fleshed out way more. But amongst all that, I felt there was too much unnecessary 'filler' that was added in, like scenes with Walt, and too much repetition and emphasis on long opening shots and transitions to many scenes - which might work for TV - but it felt a bit much for a film.

It's a nice tv movie, but that's all it is. It could have been so much more though, and the way it ends makes it seem as though the ending is still open to a spin-off - there was still no more closure than what we saw at the end of Breaking bad, I feel.

I give it a 6/10.

Back
Top Bottom