• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is "Freesync" dead?

Soldato

jvw0vf5f.zyj.png

Soldato

Define dead. Freesync 2 still exists and because has AMD strict rules cannot be replaced by the cancer named Nvidia.
Freesync 1 which is just Adaptive Sync, doesn't die either. Is just Nvidia demanding from certain companies to add "gsync compatible" and remove "freesync" on monitors Nvidia says so.

How many times we argued in this very forum when I was saying that Turing & Pascal are Adaptive Sync compatible and YOU were saying no and Nvidia Gsync is all about the module blah blah blah crap?

Do you take back your posts today, offering an apology and understanding that I was right for the past 3 years? :D

Associate
For those with G-sync monitors they can take some comfort that their investment is not on the decline. Just shows you though that Nvidia never do things out of the goodness of their heart but also AMD wont anything to combat these sorts of tactics either

Soldato
For those with G-sync monitors they can take some comfort that their investment is not on the decline. Just shows you though that Nvidia never do things out of the goodness of their heart but also AMD wont anything to combat these sorts of tactics either

AMD might not bother but Intel & Microsoft will. Especially the latter as more TVs like the last LG OLED start coming out with DP and branding "Gsync compatible". Remember this when MS goes on the counter offensive to push back because these TVs are also Freesync compatible, which means Xbox can be used with them with Freesync ON.

Permabanned
All that marketing these monitors as G-sync compatible does is let everyone know it has decent support for Adaptive-Sync. It tells everyone that, regardless of the brand of GPU we use the monitor's a good choice, Yes regular bods may not realise that but if they do a little research it's simple enough to figure out & if they're looking to buy in they should be smart enough to want to confirm what they're buying into.

Soldato
All that marketing these monitors as G-sync compatible does is let everyone know it has decent support for Adaptive-Sync. It tells everyone that, regardless of the brand of GPU we use the monitor's a good choice, Yes regular bods may not realise that but if they do a little research it's simple enough to figure out & if they're looking to buy in they should be smart enough to want to confirm what they're buying into.
i think you give the average joe too much credit as it can also be interpreted as nvidia only lol

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
:D
The point it I won 3 years continuous arguing about this, which proves how Nvidia was fleecing those buying G-sync (with module) monitors.
In my case it was not a waste as when buying it as it was the only way to have a much bigger range at 4K. The LG freesync I had before was only 40-60. Also you got things like overdrive etc. Plus a gpu that could deliver playable fps at 4K on the latest games like FFXV which was not AMD at the time. Lol.

I have been happy running my Vega and missing out on G-Sync of late as I don't game too much. But I am looking forward to Nvidia's 7nm offerings. Likely the 3070. As I always cap my games either at 57 or 60fps such a card should run most games hopefully. Certainly will play every game I have in my current stream library with ease.

Soldato
After watching the video I have a look at websites for these monitor in his video and I found that the manufactures website still listed Freesync and I also found UK Rainforest still said Freesync while the USA site didn't. So its not like all the monitors have had Freesync removed completely! Also, Nvidia do not support Freesync 2 monitors only Freesync 1
Least that is what I have found so far "Correct me?" Freesync 2 is AMD cert and monitors must meet a spec to be listed Freesync 2 compatible from HDR to LFC

Associate
Surprised no one has mentioned this...

Nvidia are market leaders in GPU's in fact they own around 70% of the market, as opposed to AMD at 30%.

So it makes sense for the monitor manufacturers to label them as Nvidia certified as opposed to AMD certified. This way they appeal to a much larger audience, thus helping them increase sales..

Soldato

Nvidia are market leaders in GPU's in fact they own around 70% of the market, as opposed to AMD at 30%.

So it makes sense for the monitor manufacturers to label them as Nvidia certified as opposed to AMD certified. This way they appeal to a much larger audience, thus helping them increase sales..

Having the G-Sync logo on there is not the problem. The problem is removing all the Freesync branding. Why are both logo's not on there, the only reason i can think is pressure from Nvidia to remove it or money changed hands. With both logo's you appeal to 100% of the discrete market as apposed to 70% or 30%.

Associate
Having the G-Sync logo on there is not the problem. The problem is removing all the Freesync branding. Why are both logo's not on there, the only reason i can think is pressure from Nvidia to remove it or money changed hands. With both logo's you appeal to 100% of the discrete market as apposed to 70% or 30%.

Just looked up two of the monitors mentioned still showing as freesync in the description.

Nvidia is a much superior brand than AMD, its like comparing a Mercedes to a Vauxhall.

bru

bru

Soldato
After watching the video I have a look at websites for these monitor in his video and I found that the manufactures website still listed Freesync and I also found UK Rainforest still said Freesync while the USA site didn't. So its not like all the monitors have had Freesync removed completely! Also, Nvidia do not support Freesync 2 monitors only Freesync 1
Least that is what I have found so far "Correct me?" Freesync 2 is AMD cert and monitors must meet a spec to be listed Freesync 2 compatible from HDR to LFC

Yup it would seem that most manufactures websites have been changed but certain popular .co.uk seem unchanged.

This is also a good point, it would be prudent for monitor manufactueres to go after the larger market.

Now of course who is behind it all, are there kickbacks to monitor manufactuers? Well I certainly wouldnt put it past NVidia, but in reality we will never now for a fact.

On the other side of the matter, what will AMD do? Probably nothing? But what could they do?

Caporegime

AMD are no longer in this market, they're consoles and rent-a-gaming, so it makes sense to me. :p

Back
Top Bottom