Unable to Install Windows - and BIOS freezing

Associate
New to PC building with my first ever custom build. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get Windows 10 to install and now I'm even experiencing lock up in the BIOS.

The Build:

CPU: i9 9900K Coffee Lake Refresh
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio 8GB GDDR6
MOBO: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
RAM: G.Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16D-16GISB Memoria 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB)
SSD: 1TB SSDPEKNW010T8X1 Intel SSD 660P
HDD: Disconnected at the moment.

If helpful:

CPU FAN: BE QUIET Dark Rock Pro 4 135 mm
PSU: EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ GOLD 850W (210-GQ-0850-V3)
CASE: NZXT H710i

All components purchased through Amazon or ****** (arrived last Friday).

The Problem:

- I can't install Windows 10, either it gets to the install stage and gets stuck at "Copying Files" or at some percentage in the "Getting Files Ready".
- I'm now also getting a freeze/lock up in the BIOS itself which has left me unable to flash the latest MSI drivers for the motherboard.

What I've Tried:

- I've tried removing the GPU to see if I can install or proceed with just the integrated graphics, but I'm still encountering the same issues.

- I've tried multiple different USBs and installed new drivers for the SSD - I tried installing the latest driver for the motherboard, but decided to leave it after getting lockup in BIOS.

- I switched the SSD from MBR to GPT, it allowed me to install, but had no effect.

The last temp reading for the CPU showed it at between 32-34*C so I don't think there's any overheating issue, unless the motherboard is completely broken.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated - I currently have a very expensive metal box, though it does give me a good light show with the GPU RGBs, but that's not quite what I had in mind when I bought it!

Associate
OP
Just the SSD and the bootable USB drive. I disconnected everything else to eliminate that possibility.

At this rate, I'm thinking of taking it to a PC repair shop and seeing if they can rebuild it for me.

Edit: Thanks for the welcome!

Soldato
Just the SSD and the bootable USB drive. I disconnected everything else to eliminate that possibility.

At this rate, I'm thinking of taking it to a PC repair shop and seeing if they can rebuild it for me.

Edit: Thanks for the welcome!

Don't rush to taking it there, you'll get the solution on here I bet and sorted soon I'm sure.... Have you tried it with one stick of RAM?

Associate
OP
I'll give that a go and post again in a few minutes. I can't get one of the sticks out without removing the CPU cooler, which I'm reluctant to do at the moment.

Associate
OP
So I've removed the RAM and tested both sticks on their own in the DIMMA2 slots. It didn't seem to make any difference to Windows installing, but I've put both back in and managed to flash the BIOS with the latest update.

It's entirely possible I hadn't pushed them in far enough.

Gonna try Windows install now.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Soldato
So I've removed the RAM and tested both sticks on their own in the DIMMA2 slots. It didn't seem to make any difference to Windows installing, but I've put both back in and managed to flash the BIOS with the latest update.

It's entirely possible I hadn't pushed them in far enough.

Gonna try Windows install now.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Glad you've managed to get somewhere with this :)

Associate
OP
So it was literally because I hadn't pushed the RAM sticks in enough (or it was some other issue that's resolved itself without me knowing why).

I feel this is the PC Building equivalent of "Did you check if it's plugged in?"...

At least I didn't take it to a shop to repair for them to tell me that.

Thanks for everyone's help! If I could post a facepalm, I would.

Soldato
So it was literally because I hadn't pushed the RAM sticks in enough (or it was some other issue that's resolved itself without me knowing why).

I feel this is the PC Building equivalent of "Did you check if it's plugged in?"...

At least I didn't take it to a shop to repair for them to tell me that.

Thanks for everyone's help! If I could post a facepalm, I would.

Atleast its sorted now, We've all done something along those lines but atleast you know for next time

Associate
Glad you got it sorted. I can tell the issue weren't that the RAM weren't in properly, it was because the BIOS update. I got a MSI MPG Z390 gaming edge motherboard and I had the same locking up issues. I pinpointed it to a RAM issue as I have built a few computers. So I googled and found that the bios flashed out of the box was old and had not very good memory compatibility.

I flashed to the latest BIOS and boom windows installed and the machine ran sweet!!! So take confidence that you did nothing wrong on your first build.

Associate
OP
You're right, probably should have done more research on who I buy from, I've got a DOA HDD! Tested with new cables and my old PC... Back to returns it goes!

Back
Top Bottom