Seriously Apple!

Soldato
I bought myself a cheap Dashcam to trial. It doesn't come with a viewer, so you are supposed to connect to it's Private Wi-Fi using your mobile phone to view/download recordings.

I have gone to the Wi-Fi section on my iPhone and can see the Wi-Fi connection from the dashcam and am able to join it, but the iphone instantly puts an explanation mark through the Wi-Fi sign and states No internet connection and so doesn't create an active connection to this Wi-Fi, so I cannot access the Dashcam at all.

I have been googling for the past hour, and apart from one really old post about it with no resolution 99% of my results are how to resolve no internet issues and not how to allow the iphone to connect to a Wi-Fi connection without an active internet connection on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or the Dashcam will have to go back.

Associate
Are you using the correct app once you are "connected"? If it is telling you that there is "no internet connection" then the phone must be properly connected to the device so that it knows that.

And also you can try putting your phone in to airplane mode and manual turn on the wifi.

Soldato
OP
Try turning off your mobile data then try and connect to the dashcam wifi.

Tied turning off data and also tried turning off WiFi assist.

Are you using the correct app once you are "connected"? If it is telling you that there is "no internet connection" then the phone must be properly connected to the device so that it knows that.

And also you can try putting your phone in to airplane mode and manual turn on the wifi.

I'm using the app that has the model of the webcam in its title, so it should be the right one.

I have tried with Airplane mode and same thing.

To confirm it isnt the app saying no internet connection it is the iPhone. The Dashcam could be anything that sends out its own private Wifi connection but isnt an internet router. Basically I can connect the iphone to the dashcam wifi and it says successfully connected after entering the passcode, but on the iphone, the wifi sign doesnt show in the top of the phone, the wifi sign on the wifi page has an exclamation mark through it and on this page it shows no internet connection.

I have even tried statically assigning the same IP details as provided by the dashcam DHCP, I even added on a gateway in the static settings (which DHCP doesnt provide as it isnt needed) and this gets rid of the exclamation mark in the wifi settings section, but the wifi sign doesnt appear in the top bar and the app still continues to tell me to connect to the dashcams wifi.

Associate
Tied turning off data and also tried turning off WiFi assist.

I'm using the app that has the model of the webcam in its title, so it should be the right one.

I have tried with Airplane mode and same thing.

To confirm it isnt the app saying no internet connection it is the iPhone. The Dashcam could be anything that sends out its own private Wifi connection but isnt an internet router. Basically I can connect the iphone to the dashcam wifi and it says successfully connected after entering the passcode, but on the iphone, the wifi sign doesnt show in the top of the phone, the wifi sign on the wifi page has an exclamation mark through it and on this page it shows no internet connection.

I have even tried statically assigning the same IP details as provided by the dashcam DHCP, I even added on a gateway in the static settings (which DHCP doesnt provide as it isnt needed) and this gets rid of the exclamation mark in the wifi settings section, but the wifi sign doesnt appear in the top bar and the app still continues to tell me to connect to the dashcams wifi.

Ok, imo it's either:
1. Problem with your phone's wifi - Try a different apple device
2. Problem with iOS - Try an android device
3. Wrong app - I've seen cheap dash cams use variations of the same software and so they could possibily be cross compatible? And generally chinese apps are all labelled incorrectly, so I still feel this is the issue.
4. Problem with the dash cam - return it

Personally I've never had an issue with connecting to a camera's wifi (cheap and expensive dash cams, SLR cameras, point&shoot, action cams) and transferring stuff from my android phone. My girlfriend uses apple devices and has also used the wifi transfer too with no issues. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom