• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel kills 10nm ?? oO

Soldato
Pretty sure that the giveaway with 10nm not happening soon/at all was the almost giveaway prices on the 10xxx x299 CPU's. They've had to bite the bullet, and cut pricing due to the inability to compete on the desktop in cores/threads and TCO/PPW.

Associate
"who have got a tip from their trustworthy insiders" - I'd be careful believing anything that comes from an Intel rep :(

Intel reps don’t have up to date information, 10nm is shipping with HEDP/Server parts in validation... this was still the case 6 months ago.

It’s the validation causing the issues.

Associate
Also we have no reference to what 7nm means for Intel, again marketing fudging the numbers exactly what the other foundries are doing... this is common practice unfortunately.

Soldato
We'll probably end up with them shuffling out a couple of underwhelming SKUs in a couple of years like they did with Broadwell, just so they can say that they technically released 10nm chips on desktop.

Associate
Still, they're aiming for 10nm desktop in 2H 2021. That'll be going up against Ryzen 5000 on TSMC's 5nm process node. They are going to be in a difficult spot for years.

I predict AMD going to gain serious marketshare in desktop and about 25%+ in server by 2021.

Soldato
I hope not. Intel are flogging the dead horse with the 14nm process, people aren't surely going to buy a 10th gen if it's still on 14nm.

They will if it has the right performance metrics.

Would you buy a 14nm chip faster and better priced than a competitive 7nm chip? Or would you buy just because 7nm is a smaller manufacturing process?

Permabanned
They had to spend to get there they are now or bleed out slowly. It was clearly worth it.

Let's repeat it again:

Great time for AMD to pay the $1B debt back, since no competition in the foreseeable future :)
I think they need to rethink their ongoing CPU projects spendings and redirect more towards GPU segment and debt repayment.

The thing about debt is that it's better to have none, so in the future they could ask for some if needed.

I think they pay it back quite slowly.

Also we have no reference to what 7nm means for Intel

There are multiple articles on the matter and 5nm TSMC = 7nm intel.

underwhelming... Broadwell

lol i7-5775C was the best i7 ever made :D

Soldato
Broadwell-C should've been a bigger clue to most of us of what was to come: no more die shrink easy wins or tick-tock. It was fine with Ivy Bridge because stock clocks weren't maxed but even then people cottoned onto the fact that the older 32nm Sandy Bridge clocked higher. In theory a better model would actually be to shrink mobile chips first (for efficiency gains) and then have desktop parts follow once the process is more mature and can reach higher clock speeds, which is what Intel seems to be shifting to now.

AMD are doing things the opposite way around, which is probably not sustainable. It worked with Zen 2 because their previous GF nodes were just a bit pants, but if 5nm can't clock as high as 7nm+ they're going to need another 10-15% IPC jump to continue with their current release cadence.

Associate
Even if Intel move to a smaller node how are they going to overcome the thermal issues, Given they will have a higher transistor density and as far as we know still be using a monolithic core rather than a chiplet style design? Wouldn't this make their thermal issues worse than they are now?

Associate
They will if it has the right performance metrics.

Would you buy a 14nm chip faster and better priced than a competitive 7nm chip? Or would you buy just because 7nm is a smaller manufacturing process?

The peoblem with that is 14nm has barely no room to improve whereas 7nm to 7nm+ next year (Ryzen 4000) is going to see another comparatively huge leap forward.

Already, compare Ryzen 8-core 3700X and Intel 9700K equivalent. Very similar performance in games yet the Ryzen draws so much less power while doing it, despite 8 more threads. Also, the 3700X wipes the floor with that in multi-threaded perf on top.

Back
Top Bottom