• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

kaby lake life

Soldato
More does not necessarily mean better, I suppose it would depend on the app, according to some devs fast single-core performance is still key when audio processing (FL Studio) For example: An 8 core CPU (14,400) with a single core score of 1800 is less well suited to music production than a 4 core CPU (12,000) with a single core score of 2600, since much of what happens with audio-processing can't be computed in parallel. Audio processing, as performed by DAW software, is one of the most CPU intensive tasks done in real-time on computers today. It's more CPU intensive than 3D games, that offload a lot of work to the video card GPU.

I only really play racing games like project cars and that's very casual, also my i7-3820 does the job ok although the GTX 10 series does most of the leg work, with vsti's and plugins I have issues either with the i7-3820 or the X79 chipset?

My priority is fast single core over multi core, I don't overclock but might look into that but I prefer plug and play and I have limited budget and Ryzen is tempting but Intel have the speed advantage and if the price is right then the 8400 or 8600k might be the sweet spot for my personal budget, will wait it out and check prices. Ryzen 5 is on my budget list though.

But it's more for less and single core performance is pretty close.

Soldato
i would imagine they will have the same life as haswell as those are from 2014 and to some extent you can still buy them new, but given the kaby like G range offering i3 performance for less money would make them a key seller to those who dont need an i5 or what or wants to game on a strict budget, i have gone from older 745/939 amd/775/468 or whatever is older to an haswell i3 then back to an am2/am3/775 and now my 1155 with i3, so for me i would buy kaby lake if i could, if it does the job and doesnt cost stupid money then all is good and thats all you would need to worry about.

Permabanned
Some good news, say goodbye, you won't be missed:

Intel Discontinues 7th Gen Kaby Lake CPUs Including Core i7-7700K – The Last of The Quad Core Flagships
https://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-cpu-discontinue-eol-7th-gen/

With some funny bits:

Wont-be-missed.jpg

Soldato

I find it pretty awkward that Intel's Skylake architecture, which is over 4 years old now, is still faster than Ryzen in some games.

We'll have to wait for Intel's next new architecture (Icelake, or whatever they named it to) for the sweet 15% IPC increase. Couple that with 8C16, 5.0Ghz+, will be a real monster.

My 6700k is still serving me well at the moment, I mostly play games and am GPU limited (Radeon 7) in most games anyway.

Associate
I find it pretty awkward that Intel's Skylake architecture, which is over 4 years old now, is still faster than Ryzen in some games.

We'll have to wait for Intel's next new architecture (Icelake, or whatever they named it to) for the sweet 15% IPC increase. Couple that with 8C16, 5.0Ghz+, will be a real monster.

My 6700k is still serving me well at the moment, I mostly play games and am GPU limited (Radeon 7) in most games anyway.

Hey, look at the 7700K in AC Odyssey, it is faster than the 9600K. The 8700K barely beats it.

BTW, there are rumors that intel's 10nm has been canned. Their 7nm is not coming out not till 2022. Intels focus is where the money is - the server market. But that too is in danger cause of vulnerabilities.

EDIT:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-yes-there-will-be-10nm-desktop-cpus

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Clock for clock even older Intel CPUs aren't that far behind for gaming - though they get eaten for breakfast in wider use case.

Soldato
Clock for clock even older Intel CPUs aren't that far behind for gaming - though they get eaten for breakfast in wider use case.

Wider use cases that 99% (sarcastic exaggeration disclaimer), of home PC owners don't do :D I don't personally see many home PC owners running esxi/hyperV VM's, rendering video on their home PC's, most just play the most popular games.

Soldato
Yes, Intel's clock speed advantage keeps them ahead in (particularly older) games for now. We know Ice Lake isn't coming to desktop with the 10th generation Core i3/5/7/9 products, so it'll probably be around a year before we see an IPC improvement on Intel desktop chips. Can they get 10nm up near 5 GHz? IMO it's unlikely, unless it lasts for 5 years like 14nm did, but then Intel will be in serious crap if that were to be the case.

Soldato
Yes, Intel's clock speed advantage keeps them ahead in (particularly older) games for now. We know Ice Lake isn't coming to desktop with the 10th generation Core i3/5/7/9 products, so it'll probably be around a year before we see an IPC improvement on Intel desktop chips. Can they get 10nm up near 5 GHz? IMO it's unlikely, unless it lasts for 5 years like 14nm did, but then Intel will be in serious crap if that were to be the case.

I don’t think they’ll be in serious crap. Amd’s bleeding edge Ryzen chips can’t beat Intel’s 4 year old Skylake architecture.

I believe Intel are now porting ice lake to 14nm, as 10nm is not ready. We’ll see the new 15% more IPC architecture soon, on a super mature 5.1Ghz 14nm.

Back
Top Bottom