Actual Police State

Caporegime
Well...I was dismissive in another thread recently of a guy who claimed we were living in a police state. I may have to change my tune following the actions of the met...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50051279

http://news.met.police.uk/news/arrests-in-connection-with-extinction-rebellion-protests-383815

Banning any right to peaceful protest is going too far and reminds me of such fine diplomacys as China, Burma and Iran.

By all means arrest those breaking laws but don't start blanket bans or...the next step...changing laws.

Soldato
So you don't think the police have given suitable justification?

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Laurence Taylor said the ban had been imposed due to breaches of the Public Order Act and "ongoing serious disruption to the community."

“These conditions have been imposed due to the continued breaches of the section 14 condition previously implemented, and ongoing serious disruption to the community."

https://www.rmt.org.uk/member-benef...eps/marches-assemblies-and-notice-of-protest/

Section 14 of the Public Order Act: - Public Assemblies
As with Section 12, the senior officer may impose conditions on public assemblies, which he considers are reasonably necessary to prevent serious public disorder etc. Unlike Section 12, the conditions he may reasonably impose are in this case limited to specifying:
a) the numbers of people who may take part,
b) the location of the assembly, and
c) its maximum duration.

Breaches of conditions:
Anyone who organises or takes part in a demonstration and knowingly fails to comply with a condition as set out under section 12 or 14 of the Public Order Act will be guilty of an offence, and this can be grounds for arrest. It is also an offence to incite another to commit these offences.

And a police state would be the police being ordered to do this by the government.

If the police are acting independently that isn't a police state. However there could be an argument regarding how much disruption they should allow to happen to an area. The area being disrupted also has a complaint if the police do nothing to protect their activities.

Soldato
The laws for dealing with disruption to the public have been around a long time.

You dont see many people complaining about it, because most people want them gone...

Caporegime
Closing down bridges and whole parts of a city will kinda demand Draconian measures.

I don't think this is what a police state is, seeing as the can just move say to parliament Square and mingle with the Brexit chaps.

Caporegime
OP
Spot the guys that haven't actually read the proposals...

The point is the police are banning ANY protests by the group whether disruptive or not. They are denying the right to free speech and public assembly.
You'd have to also be very blinkered to believe there's no political insistence behind the decision.

Man of Honour
I do see both sides. I think something needs to be done to keep London moving. But equally we do see increasingly draconian measures introduced over the years. I recall reading a philosopher many years ago saying that governments will have to become very restrictive as population increases in order to keep control.

One thing that does make me smile is the names of many of the arrested protestors :D

Roman, Rosemary, Isabel, Ophelia, Jyoti, Godfrey, Tannah, Massimo, Iolanda, Sotitis... Nice working class average peoples names there!

Soldato

The point is the police are banning ANY protests by the group whether disruptive or not. They are denying the right to free speech and public assembly.
You'd have to also be very blinkered to believe there's no political insistence behind the decision.

The public are demanding action against a bunch of hipsters interrupting their lives.

Its not the police acting by themselves, people are asking them to. These protesters dont seem to understand that they dont have public support.

Caporegime
OP
The public are demanding action against a bunch of hipsters interrupting their lives.

Its not the police acting by themselves, people are asking them to. These protesters dont seem to understand that they dont have public support.

It's irrelevant whether they do or not. Their right to protest is enshrined in law.

Caporegime
This is what a real police state looks like:

1v9lslrjsu831.jpg

Associate
As is the case with many protest groups who caused widescale problems, EDL, Father 4 Justice, animal rights in Cambridge etc, they aren't being banned altogether but will have to get pre-approved protest events in the future.

If you can't abide by the rules of peaceful protest then expect to have your protests curtailed in some way.

Soldato
As is the case with many protest groups who caused widescale problems, EDL, Father 4 Justice, animal rights in Cambridge etc, they aren't being banned altogether but will have to get pre-approved protest events in the future.

If you can't abide by the rules of peaceful protest then expect to have your protests curtailed in some way.

Exactly, when they started vandalising stuff and being a public menace that right to protest was lost.

Caporegime
This is what a real police state looks like:

1v9lslrjsu831.jpg

A similar thing will come to this country but will be brought in through private corporations, you can already see it with companies banding together to de-platform people (refuse services) because they've broken T&C's even though nothing they have done is illegal.

Soldato

We dont have the right to free speech in the UK, this maybe where you are going wrong here.

There are plenty of anti speech laws though!

Back
Top Bottom