OcUK Dadsnet thread

Man of Honour
Did anyone else feel extremely guilty when they had a second child? I keep finding myself trying overly hard with my first to make sure he doesn’t feel any less special or loved.

He seems absolutely fine and he’s given no reason for me to feel he feels weird about it, but I just keep feeling like that special one on one time we had before is gone, which sounds pretty obvious but I feel sad and guilty about it.

It’s only been 4 bloody days :p

Soldato
Did anyone else feel extremely guilty when they had a second child? I keep finding myself trying overly hard with my first to make sure he doesn’t feel any less special or loved.

He seems absolutely fine and he’s given no reason for me to feel he feels weird about it, but I just keep feeling like that special one on one time we had before is gone, which sounds pretty obvious but I feel sad and guilty about it.

Put him to work:
"be a great big bro and fetch little sister a new nappy"
"your sister will love it if you bring daddy the remote"
"sister says get daddy a beer"

Not only will he feel included, it will teach him some responsibility to his young sibling. Plus you benefit from being a lazy arse. Just reward him with a "you're the best big bro" and a hug. EVERYONE is happy :D (I'm eldest of six, this all definitely worked on me when I was a kid).

Associate
So, we're due on 6th November and classed as full term this Wednesday so I guess my boy can show up whenever he feels like it really. I'm sure this has been asked before but what do you pack, hospital wise for the man? We've got my partners bag packed and it's already in the car waiting but I will more than likely need a bag depending on how long we're in for.

Anything you can suggest which isn't so obvious but was a "lifesaver".

Thanks.
Food.
You may be up and down for hours doing things for your wife in the delivery room, but it's easy to forget to eat or you don't want to just nip out for a snack in case something happens, or it's 2am and nothing is open.

Portable battery pack to charge your phones or whatever. There may not be a plug socket you can use.

As to the rest you might not actually be able to stay on the ward after the birth so you'll be going home anyway. Maybe grab your tooth brush on the way out the door?

Don
Food.
You may be up and down for hours doing things for your wife in the delivery room, but it's easy to forget to eat or you don't want to just nip out for a snack in case something happens, or it's 2am and nothing is open.

Portable battery pack to charge your phones or whatever. There may not be a plug socket you can use.

As to the rest you might not actually be able to stay on the ward after the birth so you'll be going home anyway. Maybe grab your tooth brush on the way out the door?

I brought loads of food but lost my appetite when things started happening :p

Don

Yes, I felt exactly this. And unfortunately for me it carried on for the first couple of years at least (until his little brother was independent enough not to need full-time hands on care).

I don't think my son ever noticed, but I definitely felt that he experienced less attention than the few years that he was an only child.

All you can do is try your best to make sure he gets some dedicated 1-1 time as often as you can. Daddy-son playdates etc, things like that.

Don

As mentioned, kids are pretty fickle, just make sure you treat them and give them plenty of attention still. We didn't really think about it as the siblings always seem to be involved in everything we did with the new born, in fact too involved :p

Mine are 16 months, 4 and 7 now and I don't think any are any worse off in terms of getting attention from me and the wife!

Soldato
Anyone had any issues with their child going to pre-school? My little boy has been going to Pre-School for around 1 month and seems to be getting worse when dropping him off, he will start kicking off and screaming but once he's in apparently he's fine and is really happy... He will wake up on Wednesday mornings saying he doesn't want to go and even sleep less the night before because he's worrying about going... I've been told maybe it's because he only goes one day a week but will it be the same process even if we were to put him in a second day

I just take him and say no your going in stop being silly then walk off and let the worker take him in, whereas my wife starts crying and can't walk away which doesn't help

Just wanting to see if anyone has any helpful tips/ways..

Don
Anyone had any issues with their child going to pre-school? My little boy has been going to Pre-School for around 1 month and seems to be getting worse when dropping him off, he will start kicking off and screaming but once he's in apparently he's fine and is really happy... He will wake up on Wednesday mornings saying he doesn't want to go and even sleep less the night before because he's worrying about going... I've been told maybe it's because he only goes one day a week but will it be the same process even if we were to put him in a second day

I just take him and say no your going in stop being silly then walk off and let the worker take him in, whereas my wife starts crying and can't walk away which doesn't help

Just wanting to see if anyone has any helpful tips/ways..

How old is he? I'm guessing 3? Ours did similar with nursery, he did two days at Nursery and two at pre-school. He loved pre-school but hated nursery so kicked off every night when he knew he was going. Fortunately, he is a pretty reserved kid so didn't go mad when walking him in but I could just see he was sad. Of course, when I left he was happy seeing his mates. I'd pick him up and he would tell me what he got up too, only to get home and find out he's going back the following day and kick off again.

Bribery goes a long way, if he's old enough to to understand I'd often say if he went to nursery without kicking up a fuss, going to sleep on time etc I'd get him a treat at the weekend. He would usually comply. You probably best getting him something straight away so he knows you're not bluffing, a kinder egg or something!

Your wife isn't really helping if she's getting upset as he will play on that, they're clever like that!

Soldato
How old is he? I'm guessing 3? Ours did similar with nursery, he did two days at Nursery and two at pre-school. He loved pre-school but hated nursery so kicked off every night when he knew he was going. Fortunately, he is a pretty reserved kid so didn't go mad when walking him in but I could just see he was sad. Of course, when I left he was happy seeing his mates. I'd pick him up and he would tell me what he got up too, only to get home and find out he's going back the following day and kick off again.

Bribery goes a long way, if he's old enough to to understand I'd often say if he went to nursery without kicking up a fuss, going to sleep on time etc I'd get him a treat at the weekend. He would usually comply. You probably best getting him something straight away so he knows you're not bluffing, a kinder egg or something!

Your wife isn't really helping if she's getting upset as he will play on that, they're clever like that!

Yeah hes 3, we're going to try 2 days a week as of next week to see if it helps... I will try the bribery way you've mentioned, he's well into his cars and I get paid weekly so maybe I could say about getting him a new car if he goes in nicely and enjoys the hours there.. I had a chat with my wife this morning and said if she can't hold it together then walk off... The thing with him is that he's a bit like me, very quiet and would rather be left to play on his own rather than big groups.

Associate
The OH is now a week over due and although baby is engaged, certain 'things' aren't moving down or opening up. Induction is now booked for Sunday so all being well, baby should be here this time next week. She's currently a bag of emotions though and it is really getting to her that nothing has happened naturally yet, who knows though, a lot can happen in 5 days!

Soldato
The OH is now a week over due and although baby is engaged, certain 'things' aren't moving down or opening up. Induction is now booked for Sunday so all being well, baby should be here this time next week. She's currently a bag of emotions though and it is really getting to her that nothing has happened naturally yet, who knows though, a lot can happen in 5 days!
We were 13days over and he came on his own accord. Just remind her it is natural. Due date is such an arbitrary thing really and her putting pressure and emotional strain on herself can in fact delay child birth. Lots of hot baths, massage and woosah :D.

Soldato
Yeah hes 3, we're going to try 2 days a week as of next week to see if it helps... I will try the bribery way you've mentioned, he's well into his cars and I get paid weekly so maybe I could say about getting him a new car if he goes in nicely and enjoys the hours there.. I had a chat with my wife this morning and said if she can't hold it together then walk off... The thing with him is that he's a bit like me, very quiet and would rather be left to play on his own rather than big groups.

Our 4yr old who's wrong side of September to get in to school this year is having crying fits when we drop him off at nursery. Tough love unfortunately, just got to let go and they will be fine. He still runs and smiles when I collect him 4 hours later. The wife bribes him with bath time etc (he loves mummy baths not daddy baths) so it's a treat for him. I don't mind that ;)

We also have a new chart for behaviours which include bath times, nursery times amongst others. He usually behaves once we threaten him with a sad face rather than a happy face ;)

Soldato
Our 4yr old who's wrong side of September to get in to school this year is having crying fits when we drop him off at nursery. Tough love unfortunately, just got to let go and they will be fine. He still runs and smiles when I collect him 4 hours later. The wife bribes him with bath time etc (he loves mummy baths not daddy baths) so it's a treat for him. I don't mind that ;)

We also have a new chart for behaviours which include bath times, nursery times amongst others. He usually behaves once we threaten him with a sad face rather than a happy face ;)

Yeah that's what makes me chuckle is the fact when he's picked up he says how much he loves it... My son like mummy to get him out never me :p but our little girl is all me :)

That's a good idea using charts then have a prize at the end maybe :)

Associate
We were 13days over and he came on his own accord. Just remind her it is natural. Due date is such an arbitrary thing really and her putting pressure and emotional strain on herself can in fact delay child birth. Lots of hot baths, massage and woosah :D.

I know, I keep telling her to try and just relax and enjoy the last few days of pregnancy but she's not having any of it. What didn't help is that when the midwife was examining her, they were discussing the bump and how my wife thought there was a fair bit of water. The midwife kind of did a wry smile and laughed 'ohhhhh that's not water, that's all baby'. She guesstimates a 9+lb (although we all know it can be anything) little bundle of joy which is scaring the jeebus out of my Mrs, along with the fact she's only 5ft1", she now reckons her bits are going to look like a punched lasagna at the end of it.

Hopefully I can slip the doctor a tenner to put in an extra stitch :D

Soldato
So today is pre-school day for our little boy, we were expecting the usual wake up few tantrums and tears but No! He woke up saying he loves his pre-school and will play with cars there and have fun then he wants to get some Halloween bits when he finishes there :p he must've had a good dream about pre-school to change him over night :p

Don
I know, I keep telling her to try and just relax and enjoy the last few days of pregnancy but she's not having any of it. What didn't help is that when the midwife was examining her, they were discussing the bump and how my wife thought there was a fair bit of water. The midwife kind of did a wry smile and laughed 'ohhhhh that's not water, that's all baby'. She guesstimates a 9+lb (although we all know it can be anything) little bundle of joy which is scaring the jeebus out of my Mrs, along with the fact she's only 5ft1", she now reckons her bits are going to look like a punched lasagna at the end of it.

Hopefully I can slip the doctor a tenner to put in an extra stitch :D

Spare a thought for my missis, our 3 average out at around 9lb each :p I can just about touch the sides!

So today is pre-school day for our little boy, we were expecting the usual wake up few tantrums and tears but No! He woke up saying he loves his pre-school and will play with cars there and have fun then he wants to get some Halloween bits when he finishes there :p he must've had a good dream about pre-school to change him over night :p

Good stuff, kids just love attention seeking..!

Soldato
But today we welcomed our baby girl, Ivy in to the world at a healthy 8.6lb
It was all a bit amusing in hindsight, I must have looked a state.
Congrats! I don't think anyone is expecting the dad to look anything other than bedraggled! My son went straight to special care and I had to keep my wife calm by making her concentrate on his sister, who just wanted skin to skin. I probably looked like I'd been dragged into the delivery suite through a hedge.

... my wife almost ripped my hand off. And he got the most extraordinary picture.... Everything seemed already formed, it was mind-blowing.
Yeah, I had a few nearly cracked bones in my hands from the scans. They're incredible - and I still look at the photos in wonder now. As the twins were IVF babies, I even have a photo of them as blastocysts!

My twins have not long hit 4 months and are nearly 16lbs now (6.1 & 7.1 to start with). It's incredible how much they've grown and developed in that time. I am constantly knackered, but wouldn't change a thing. The latest development is them acknowledging one another, which is amazing to watch. And they love maracas.

Back
Top Bottom