• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900KS...

Soldato
Benchmarking and stability testing are colloquially interchanged when they shouldn’t be.

Benchmarking is simply about achieving a score and making sure you don’t regress. Everything is centered around that specific workload and the score derived. Stability has no relevance as long as you can pass the benchmark and up your score.

Stability or stress testing is about putting high stress loads that ensure the component doesn’t fail under varying use cases that it might encounter on a daily basis. That’s why you run p95, OCCT, memtest etc for a reasonable time and just 1 error means it’s not stable.

I know what benchmarking is, as I explained in my post.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Just lightly approached the subject of buying a new CPU with the wife. Of course she asked how much, I said roughly £600 and she offered to buy it me for xmas! Erm.... where's the pre-order button gone again?

I allways find it easier to ask for forgiveness then permission:) I normally tell my wife after I’ve brought it :) and kindly remind her how much she has spent on her hair and nails for last few months :)

Soldato
Agreed.
Very poor time to buy a 9900K then now as it's essentially an Intel reject.

What an utterly stupid argument.:rolleyes:

..You may as well say a 3900X is 3950X reject , 3800X is a 3900X reject, 3700X is a 3800X reject and a 3600X is a...and so on.

Here's my 9900K, purchased (nearly 3mths) after the 9900KS announcement:

VNmNENd.jpg

Doesn't look or perform like a 'reject' from where I'm sitting.

Last edited:
Soldato
What an utterly stupid argument.:rolleyes:

OK it was fairly loosely worded but in essence yes. If a 9900 chip isn't meeting certain "golden" requirements by Intel it is rejected and put into the K pile not the KS pile. So yes it's a reject but that doesn't automatically mean it's a total biscuit.

You have obviously been very lucky in getting one that will do 5Ghz. There are many that don't.

Associate
I don't think we have hard stats to prove any of this to be fair. There were bad chips at launch also. We also don't know what caveats intel will have around "all core 5ghz" so until we know the details of the KS chips and their working range under load, it's all quite speculative.

Associate
Im going to run mine when i get it
Stock Intel Load Line e.g. 1.6 mOhms
Intel stock AC/DC Load line e.g. 1.6 mOhms
Stock Volts with as much negative offset that it passes prime 95 small fft
Cores 0-4 5.1ghz
Cores 5-7 5.0ghz
Uncore as fast as i can get it stable

Just wish it would launch already

Last edited:
Soldato
So what, do you really think there is any tangible difference whatsoever between 4.8Ghz & 5Ghz in actual use?

...there isn't.

In benches there are. Benching is a whole pastime on it's own.

If what you say is the case, then they wont sell well at all to gamers or anyone else other than people going for highest scores on a scoreboard or relative to identical CPU's?

Soldato
I mean, what even is the point in buying a 9900k then? Why not buy a 9700k? There's barely a tangible difference...

:rolleyes:..Err no, the difference between an 8c 9700K and a 8c 16t 9900K is a real and tangible one in lots of things, Maybe not gaming (yet!) but definately content creation stuff at least, unlike the difference between 200Mhz on the same CPU.

Back
Top Bottom