Pc for my little sister

Soldato
If I was to get her a 590 and an ssd would it be a bottleneck? I think that would be within the £250 budget
Are you sure the PSU and motherboard will support a 590?

Hence why I suggesed a 1050ti. Will work on virtually anything and still deliver a significant performance increase. 22.6 fps => 120 fps will make a huge difference.

Associate
OP
Are you sure the PSU and motherboard will support a 590?

Hence why I suggesed a 1050ti. Will work on virtually anything and still deliver a significant performance increase. 22.6 fps => 120 fps will make a huge difference.

He is checking the PSU and such tomorrow. I agree though the 1050Ti is the better option here.

I opened her pc up. Wow the dust haha. Gave every thing a clean.

I took pictures but I don’t know how to upload them onto here so any help and I can do that.

what I found out was the psu is 450w and it didn’t seem a brand I knew. Made by a company called CWT CHANNEL WELL TECHNOLOGY. Feel like I should replace that just to make sure our house doesn’t burn down.

cheers for any help

Soldato

I took pictures but I don’t know how to upload them onto here so any help and I can do that.

what I found out was the psu is 450w and it didn’t seem a brand I knew. Made by a company called CWT CHANNEL WELL TECHNOLOGY. Feel like I should replace that just to make sure our house doesn’t burn down.

cheers for any help

Use a website like imgur https://imgur.com/ to upload the pictures :)

Then once they are uploaded, right click them and open image in new tab. Copy the link you get on your browser from there. Then in the forums press the button i have highlighted on the below picture and paste the link into the popup box :)

m9pSjSI.png

Permabanned

cheers for any help

The PSU is a no-name Chinese one and even though here fellow members would prefer something "premium", the truth is that most of the PSUs worldwide are exactly of your type or relatives to it.

By the way, what 590 would you take? Radeon RX 590? Be careful to undervolt and underclock it, but take another PSU because yours would not support the card.

Associate
OP
kvyDNm6

Soldato
I mean the PSU is a tin box unit and i wouldn't PERSONALLY trust it. But that is your call. You have plenty of clearance for an upgraded GPU.

I would do this as an upgrade package

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £175.87 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Use the compressed air to reaaaaaalllly clean out that cpu fan and sync get absolutely all of the dust out of it.

clean windows onto the SSD and the new gpu should be a drop in replacement

If you wanted to you could upgrade the psu to one with a reputable name/quality such as below but honestly in this situation im not going to say it's absolutely needed.

Total: £49.85 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Soldato
You can get a 1650 for the same price as a 1050ti and it's a little faster while using slightly less power.

Never thought I'd recommend that card!

I'd give her system a good clean also, monitor temps while gaming afterwards as I wouldn't be surprised if that CPU was overheating even after a clean.

CWT can be hit and miss, they're the OEM for a number of very highly rated PSU's (They're the OEM for the Bitfenix Formula Gold for example) but they also have some absolute crap, same as any other company.

I'd also see what she has running in the background, any "family used PC" I've ever come across has had so much bloat and crap running in the background that it defied belief.

That said I'd not invest much (if anything) into a computer like that, look at the second hand market for something a little more modern.

Soldato
I wouldn't. I would advise to sell that on the photo and buy a new system from the previous forum page. The PSU that you advise is OK, the SSD is too small and the graphics card is a no-go.

your thinking to deep into this mate. Shes playing roblox not metro exodus.

She doesn't need a 500gb ssd she can use the hdd she has as a secondary and have the ssd cache for it. There is nothing wrong with the 1050ti

Soldato
Interesting point mate, can't say i have looked at the performance of those cards so would suggest op looks into them himself at some point before making a choice.

I don't think there's a lot between them honestly.

Total: £139.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Ah, seems the 1650 uses about 10w more than the 1050ti under load.

109823.png

Nothing I'd be concerned about tbh, looking at the entire review it's also a decent jump in performance:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14270/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-review-feat-zotac/5

That said, I'd only consider the 1050/1650 under the basis of keeping the current PSU. There's better for the money if a new PSU is going in, such as the RX570 for £100-120 new.

Permabanned

She doesn't need a 500gb ssd she can use the hdd she has as a secondary and have the ssd cache for it. There is nothing wrong with the 1050ti

Do you have an idea how fast you can make a 120 GB SSD full? lol
She can have a 1 TB HDD and use the computer properly for anything instead of taking the cheapest garbage SSD and pretend that she has something. She wouldn't have....

There is a lot of wrong with gtx 1050 ti. It is slower by at least 30%, it is more expensive than the Radeon RX 570, and it is of inferior build and image quality!

Total: £138.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

RX-570.jpg

Associate
OP

I don't think there's a lot between them honestly.

Total: £139.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Ah, seems the 1650 uses about 10w more than the 1050ti under load.

109823.png

Nothing I'd be concerned about tbh, looking at the entire review it's also a decent jump in performance:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14270/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-review-feat-zotac/5

That said, I'd only consider the 1050/1650 under the basis of keeping the current PSU. There's better for the money if a new PSU is going in, such as the RX570 for £100-120 new.

cheers for the help guys, my main concern is software really, i can fit the ssd/gpu but im not all clued up on how it works with windows. how do i get it over to the ssd without messing it up?

Soldato
There's cloning software out there which will essentially make a copy of your current windows drive and place it onto your new SSD, Acronis True Image is fairly popular I think.

Some SSD's actually come with a copy of a program that will do it for you, not sure if the above linked Kingston drive will or not. It could be worth just doing a fresh install of Windows in honesty, as I mentioned earlier a lot of family used/kids pc's often become absolutely bloated with all sorts of crap.

If you do change to an Nvidia GPU and don't do a fresh install, I'd recommend running the following to get rid of the old drivers:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Permabanned
cheers for the help guys, my main concern is software really, i can fit the ssd/gpu but im not all clued up on how it works with windows. how do i get it over to the ssd without messing it up?

Be aware that a GTX 1650 is also significantly slower than a RX 570 that goes with the same price.

RX-570-2.jpg

Soldato
There's cloning software out there which will essentially make a copy of your current windows drive and place it onto your new SSD.

Some SSD's actually come with a copy of a program that will do it for you, not sure if the above linked Kingston drive will or not. It could be worth just doing a fresh install of Windows in honesty, as I mentioned earlier a lot of family used/kids pc's often become absolutely bloated with all sorts of crap.

Macrium reflect :) But you are correct, new windows is way better and no the Kingston drives don't come with software.

Do you have an idea how fast you can make a 120 GB SSD full? lol

Yes, i have used them dozens of times and still do to this day for laptops that people use to browse the internet. Minecraft is around 1gb. Roblox is web based(iirc). I also have multiple of those Kingston drives running in different capacity versions as i have done for several years and they have never skipped a beat. Im not quite sure what your are expecting his little sister to be doing with this system really i don't.

I can't argue against the performance of the 570 but i still wouldn't chose it over the nvidia options here. Mainly as ive recently gotten rid of my amd card down to how poor their software solution's is and how many issues i had with it. BUT that doesn't mean someone else will have the same issues.

Permabanned
Yes, i have used them dozens of times and still do to this day for laptops that people use to browse the internet. Minecraft is around 1gb. Roblox is web based(iirc). I also have multiple of those Kingston drives running in different capacity versions as i have done for several years and they have never skipped a beat. Im not quite sure what your are expecting his little sister to be doing with this system really i don't.

Movies, photos, a single new game can be up to 100 GB on its own. And she will grow with this system, so who knows....

Back
Top Bottom