****** Official IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad ******

Soldato
Well thats bodenplatte in initial release for those of us who preordered it, only had a quick go in VR tonight to test fly the new aircraft for a few minutes each.

Lovely, really refreshing to have some allied aircraft with serious power behind them, handling seems ok on all but only flew for about 5 mins with each so cant make a final opinion.

Only tried flying over coastal areas of the map but the campaign could be really good if it progresses across the map.

@Borsch apologies for the late reply, yes I use a twisty and have tried pedals too, couldn't get along with the saitek pro flight pedals so gave them back to a friend. Also realised that at my work address I dont have enough space under my desk for them, which I will have at home when I've finished the study. Been looking at a set of MFG crosswinds for when the time comes

Soldato
@Boycey0211 Pedals took me about a month to get used to, the improvements to control came after. I'm running CH pro pedals, MFG would be better still of course :)
Not ordered the Bodenplatte just yet as I've already got the Mustang in DCS and the only other Bodenplatte plane that appeals is Antoine De Saint-Exupery's P-38 :) I will still definitely get it at some point, but for now all my VR flying time will be with DCS F-16.

Soldato
Well, the latest patch/update is out and my word... I'm not sure if it's the update, the fact that I've tweaked my pc a bit or that I've switched to opencomposite but it's like a whole new game on my system, have just been practising take offs and landings on the autumn Moscow map and it's utterly beautiful and so smooth now, even with ASW kicking in. I might even try to play a campaign soon :eek: :p

Soldato
Well, the latest patch/update is out and my word... I'm not sure if it's the update, the fact that I've tweaked my pc a bit or that I've switched to opencomposite but it's like a whole new game on my system, have just been practising take offs and landings on the autumn Moscow map and it's utterly beautiful and so smooth now, even with ASW kicking in. I might even try to play a campaign soon :eek: :p

I've just started a new campaign in the tempest, not played one in years. My 970 is struggling though so going to shop around for a new card

Soldato
Campaign started, three missions in, had to ditch flight 1 due to coming out the loser in a fight with a 109, flight 2 was a patrol and no enemy were encountered but I stuffed up the landing due to excessive bounce :) It's a lot harder than I remember the old IL2 series being though I suspect that is down to being very rusty on the controls as well as the I assume vastly improved modelling. Killed in action on flight three when an I16 decided to head on pass the 109 I was chasing down, think we both jinked the same direction...

My ageing 2500k @4.4Ghz is struggling it has to be said, first thing I've played in ages that has made me want a pc upgrade, the last mission was utterly amazing in VR though, double layered clouds and morning light, was just so impressive, VR is going to be absolutely mind blowing in a decade or so if it keeps up the momentum needed.

Soldato
Campaign started, three missions in, had to ditch flight 1 due to coming out the loser in a fight with a 109, flight 2 was a patrol and no enemy were encountered but I stuffed up the landing due to excessive bounce :) It's a lot harder than I remember the old IL2 series being though I suspect that is down to being very rusty on the controls as well as the I assume vastly improved modelling. Killed in action on flight three when an I16 decided to head on pass the 109 I was chasing down, think we both jinked the same direction...

My ageing 2500k @4.4Ghz is struggling it has to be said, first thing I've played in ages that has made me want a pc upgrade, the last mission was utterly amazing in VR though, double layered clouds and morning light, was just so impressive, VR is going to be absolutely mind blowing in a decade or so if it keeps up the momentum needed.

I've upgraded GPU only so I'll let you know how I get on in VR tonight, as the rest of my setup is fairly old now

Soldato
Well they've had a busy day lol, nice patch, big sale with some hefty discounts: https://il2sturmovik.com/ and Battle of Normandy announced as next in the series :D

Was quite excited but not really impressed with the aircraft lineup for that tbh, Mossie and spit are nice, but not really bothered about the rest of it.

Weird cos they said they weren't going to do another channel map

Soldato
Hello lovely people, I need help. Just installed this and the expansions in Steam. When I launch, I do not select the VR version but it is always launching in VR mode. :( I managed to somehow navigate into the settings and disable the VR tick box and confirm that in the .cfg the or_enable setting is set to "0" but it always starts in what I assume is VR mode. Everything is staggered and overlayed. What am I doing wrong. Any ideas on how to fix this. Google is coming back with nothing else. I don't want to have just wasted £30! Thanks.

EDIT: Task Manager also shows the switch used as or_enable=0. So I don't get it. Tried setting my DPI from 125% to 100% in Windows in case that was the issue. Tried running both Window mode and Full Screen... same duplication of text. I'll get an image uploaded.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello lovely people, I need help. Just installed this and the expansions in Steam. When I launch, I do not select the VR version but it is always launching in VR mode. :( I managed to somehow navigate into the settings and disable the VR tick box and confirm that in the .cfg the or_enable setting is set to "0" but it always starts in what I assume is VR mode. Everything is staggered and overlayed. What am I doing wrong. Any ideas on how to fix this. Google is coming back with nothing else. I don't want to have just wasted £30! Thanks.

EDIT: Task Manager also shows the switch used as or_enable=0. So I don't get it. Tried setting my DPI from 125% to 100% in Windows in case that was the issue. Tried running both Window mode and Full Screen... same duplication of text. I'll get an image uploaded.

This does not look like VR mode. In VR the monitor mirror output is still crisp, the corrupted stuff above is something else entirely. The usual clean install, fresh drivers an removal/update of MSI Afterburner and the like would be the first call (are you on a laptop?) and, if that fails - https://il2sturmovik.com/support/ They reply pretty quickly, I had a minor issue in the past and it was sorted in 2 days.

Soldato
This does not look like VR mode. In VR the monitor mirror output is still crisp, the corrupted stuff above is something else entirely. The usual clean install, fresh drivers would be the first call (are you on a laptop?) and, if that fails - https://il2sturmovik.com/support/ They reply pretty quickly, I had a minor issue in the past and it was sorted in 2 days.

Thanks very much, I don't use VR so it was just a hunch so thanks for clarifying that it might be something else. I deleted the .cfg and did an integrity check within Steam which replaced the .cfg file. On launching, direct via the IL2.exe file, I got the same issue and when I checked the .cfg file afterwards it had set or_enable to "1" but I changed it back to "0" and had the same issue. So I think you must be correct, in that, it is something else. All other games are fine, so I'll fresh install 19.11.3 AMD drivers (currently on 19.11.2) and uninstall and reinstall the game.

I have emailed [email protected] with the image above also. :)

I shall report back!

Soldato
Yeh, that's not VR mode for sure (would show as side by side images), looks more like a gfx card or driver issue to me, no problems running anything else?

Soldato
Yeh, that's not VR mode for sure (would show as side by side images), looks more like a gfx card or driver issue to me, no problems running anything else?

Yeah everything else OK which didn't make sense.

Just to report though, removed and reinstalled Graphics drivers and removed and reinstalled the game as suggested.... So far so good! :)

Thanks for the help.

Associate
I am trying this in VR for the first time and enjoying it. However, I've searched and tried a few different things to get my mouse working for menus with headset on but no luck - I have to take headset off and move mouse around by looking on my screen and directing headset in the right direction to keep menus in view! I'm using WMR and Samsung odyssey +.

Soldato
I am trying this in VR for the first time and enjoying it. However, I've searched and tried a few different things to get my mouse working for menus with headset on but no luck - I have to take headset off and move mouse around by looking on my screen and directing headset in the right direction to keep menus in view! I'm using WMR and Samsung odyssey +.
Bit odd, works fine on my rift so long as the mouse is within the desktop mirror window so no idea sadly.

Soldato
IL2 is running 50% off Bodenplatte and 75% off everything else (including the latest collection planes - P-38 Lightning and Fw190 Dora). I've always had a soft spot for Saint Exupery's Lightning, so just had to get it :)

Back
Top Bottom