• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1070 to 2060s (Super) will it kill my PSU?

Soldato
I recently bought a new computer, the specs are MSI Aegis 204/i7-6700/16GB Ram/1TB HDD/GTX 1070/

It's the second column in this chart:
https://uk.msi.com/Desktop/Aegis/Specification

According to this, the PSU is a 350W 80 Plus Bronze. According to Nvidia the max load on the 1070 is 150w and on the 2060s is 175w

I'm worried this will trip the PSU when gaming, I'd like some opinions on if this would be too much of an upgrade for this PC with this PSU, as the PSU is quite small and i don't think is upgradable

Man of Honour
Just because it says 350w bronze psu doesn't mean it can deliver that much on the all important 12v rail. What make and model is it? The psu already seems rather small for that build with a GTX 1070. The game I am currently playing, Railroad Empire, is seeing my pc hit 298w and that's with the cpu and GTX 1070 at stock. Peak load can hit 368w with everything loaded up.

Associate
You'll probably be ok... You could spen £10 on an electricity meter like a Kill A Watt from a popular online retailer, and that would tell you what your actual power draw is, to see if there's much headroom?

Soldato
Power draw is usually way less than people imagine however a 350w is too underpowered.

My peak from the wall power consumption verified via watt meter was a bit over 900watts with two 680 lightning's in sli volt modded with a suicide CPU max overclock run while benchmarking.

So yeh same as a microwave:p

Associate
Just a bit of clarification here,
  • the PSU wattage number refers to the amount it can output on the low voltage side.
  • power draw from the wall is always higher than the what it being used by the PC, this is where the 80% bronze type rating comes in, this is the efficiency rating - AND this rating is often only an ideal power range lol..
  • so a 65watt cpu and a 150watt gpu plus 50watts for other stuff, thats 265watts max, but that will prob draw 300+ watts from the wall
If your 350watt psu is pulling anywhere near 300watts in heavy gaming or 3dmark testing id be supprised

MY Ryzen 1800X 16core cpu and 1070 Armor GPU (overclocked) pull just over 300 watts from the wall playing Battlefront 2, my most demanding game

TBH, id say Shame on MSI for skimping on the PSU, but i have just had a look on the MSI forums and theres are few people asking the same questions, and theres people that have run 1080 cards and stock systems pulling under 300watts from the wall,

So in answer to your question... a 2060 (super or not) will be perfectly fine,

oh and 900watt microwave pulls close to 1500watts from the wall.. :D

Man of Honour
With my 4820K, 16GB RAM and a 1070 I hit ~300watt when playing games like The Division that use like 90+% GPU, 30-40% CPU and seen over 400watt in games like Battlefield series which can be both CPU and GPU heavy - that is draw at the wall so the actual PSU supply will be a little lower but still. You'd be wringing the life out of a 350watt.

This is with overclocking though - stock does drop that a bit - IIRC it drops to 250 watt average in TD with stock.

Soldato
OP
Thanks @Memphis_Raines, i find your post to make the most sense. @pastymuncher hasn't taken into account the rest of his system is significantly more powerful with water cooling and his CPU is extremely overclocked, this takes up power. I think i'm safe getting a 2060s but not much more than that. I would have thought the 20xx generation would be more power efficient for similar power. :D

My gaming is going to on the lighter side with things like SF5 Rez Infinite and probably my most demanding game would be Skyrim remastered at 1440p. I'm more getting it for video decoding abilities as my 1070 is unable to decode HDR steams from Youtube and all the load is on the CPU. This PC hooked to my 4K OLED in the living room.

Caporegime
I wouldn't risk a £400 GPU personally. A decent PSU lasts years, you'll save a little electricity getting a more modern efficient PSU too.

Itll probably fine, if you run into problems it probably wont kill anything but is still swap it out.

Man of Honour
I'd definitely be looking to upgrade that power supply. But I'm not sure it will be a standard sized one. You may need to look for one designed for a SFF or ITX system.

Soldato
OP
For those talking about upgrading the PSU, i don't think it's really an option, you can see it more clearly in this video how the computer is laid out

It's very small but I'm the PSU chosen was the one to go with the 1070, so i was wanting more of a side-grade but 20xx for the video decoding instructions primarily. Maybe I just go for the normal 2060

Soldato
All PSUs have an overhead to some extent, semi decent ones at least when tested will step up and provide power over their rating.

In effect it's like overclocking your PSU. Up to you if that risk is worth it or not. Of it were greater than 10% over max rated spec I'd Def be avoiding.

Soldato
For those talking about upgrading the PSU, i don't think it's really an option, you can see it more clearly in this video how the computer is laid out

It's very small but I'm the PSU chosen was the one to go with the 1070, so i was wanting more of a side-grade but 20xx for the video decoding instructions primarily. Maybe I just go for the normal 2060
It looks like MSI are using a rack mounted server style PSU.

Maybe wait until Nvidia's 7nm GPUs hit the market and see what they offer.

Man of Honour
Thanks @Memphis_Raines, i find your post to make the most sense. @pastymuncher hasn't taken into account the rest of his system is significantly more powerful with water cooling and his CPU is extremely overclocked, this takes up power. I think i'm safe getting a 2060s but not much more than that. I would have thought the 20xx generation would be more power efficient for similar power. :D

Just because it says 350w bronze psu doesn't mean it can deliver that much on the all important 12v rail. What make and model is it? The psu already seems rather small for that build with a GTX 1070. The game I am currently playing, Railroad Empire, is seeing my pc hit 298w and that's with the cpu and GTX 1070 at stock. Peak load can hit 368w with everything loaded up.

My water cooling setup doesn't draw as much power as you may think. The pump is only 23w, say 10w total for the led, flow and temp sensors and then 8x Arctic Cooling P14 fans that only draw 1.8w if running at full power but I have them running at 6v. My loop adds around 40w to the total power draw of my pc which isn't as much as people think a watercooling loop will add. You also seem to have missed the bit that I said my CPU and GPU are at stock speeds. I bet your 6700 with it's HT draws more power than my 9600k at stock. A GTX2060 super draws more power than a GTX1070, considerably more if it's one of the factory overclocked cards so that's another thing to consider.

Everybody is missing the point here. Just because the psu is marketed as a 350w model doesn't mean that it can actually deliver that much power on the 12v rail where it's needed. Take the Kolink KL400w for example. This is a supposedly 400w psu but check the label and it only has a pathetic 264w on it's 12v rail. This is a worst case example and similar to a no name gemeric psu but it shows that you should ignore the headline power rating and actually check what the unit is capable of delivering across the rails. They have all done it in the past, Seasonic, Corsair, FSP, HEC and many others have all released psu's that have had significantly weaker 12v rails than their headline power rating so check and double check before buying what is argueably the single most important component in a pc.

Yes you could try drawing more power than the psu is supposed to deliver but this is a seriously bad idea. Power efficiency will be awful, temps will go through the roof so the fan will spin faster and make more noise and most importantly it will stress the components inside the psu. Those components will not be the best quality on a bronze rated psu and even some gold and higher rated so could result in a catastrophic failure which could kill the pc's other components if the psu's protection isn't up to scratch or doesn't kick in. It's simply not worth the risk.

The problem I have with the psu in the op's pc is that when I downloaded the pdf all it says is 350w bronze rated psu. No breakdown of what it can deliver on it's rails so I would be taking the side off that case and looking for a sticker on the side of the psu that shows the breakdown of power distributed across the rails. It is the only way to clear this up and until then nobody can say that it's definately enough power to drop a 2060S in.

Soldato
While the psu will run fine delivering 350w. It will really be cutting it fine and considering if it decides to go boom, its best to upgrade to at least a decent 6-700w for future upgrades.

It WILL deliver 350w, it will just mean due to efficiency it will be pulling a lot more power than required. Probably in the realms of 425w+ to deliver the required 80%. And that is the entire unit not just the 12v rail which could be a lot less.

Still cutting it fine either way though, needs upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom