How safe would this be (Credit Card question)

Associate
"Erm hello bank, for some reason my credit card has been used to pay for an other credit card, that wasn't me" *rides away on my free MT-09*

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm guessing he means that the holiday can be paid for by credit card, not doing a balance transfer to his own card.
After rereading that makes more sense, it's going to come across as those sort of offers you get on Gumtree and Facebook though when you try and sell something "I'll give you 3 bags of weed, a dog and my sister" just the other way round.

Soldato
OP
Haha awesome comments. Just call me dodgy Dave.

My holiday payment is all sorted either way, I don't need the bike sale to pay. Someone asked me on the MT09 group I'm in last year and I said no. But when I looked into it others have accepted this type of payment. My question was could a credit card payment made by chip and pin with a signed doc of purchase be cancelled / returned after payment.... I spoke to a bank manager who said "no"

I'm not asking someone to pay credit I have off, just toward a balance. I understand the **** I'm getting, but if you looked into what I'm saying it's not that dodgy!

Everyone needs to chill the **** out haha..... Sometimes credit cards (if used correctly ) provide small cheap loans rather than 8-20% repayment rates!!

Just to clarify.... My holiday is covered, the bike sale is to provide additional spends if needed ...

Now everyone stop foaming at the mouth and just relax. ... All is good xxx

Caporegime
Take payment via bank transfer, call finance company while buyer is on site and clear outstanding balance. Pass phone to buyer so they can hear 'balance cleared, we no longer have any interest in the vehicle' and buyer rides away happy.

Soldato
Bought many vehicles over my time thus far. If someone said they'd like me to pay off an outstanding balance of something rather than a direct sale of the vehicle in question. I'd not even warrant it with a response let alone have continued interest in the vehicle.

It reeks of scam potential of some form (even though it's not), that and I'd want nothing to do with the sellers personal affairs. Cash or bank transfer is the only options in my opinion when buying privately.

I did once sell a motorbike due to leaving the country for a short time and I didn't want the fuss of storing it/paying off the remaining finance (and thankfully, the last time I ever had to finance a vehicle, I always buy outright now). And asked the buyer to communicate directly through the finance company so they knew the finance was paid off and they got a direct receipt and proof of the finance being completed. Even that had the seller question it. Thankfully he was understanding and waited with me until he got the email from the finance company stating the cleared amount and paid the rest to me in cash.

If it's any consilation and possibly advice to younger members. Do NOT finance/lease/take out a loan. It's a money pit and you lose a large amount of money for something you could have easily saved up and bought. Save up what you can, buy a cheap banger if you need a car asap and continue to save to buy the nice car. It always works out in your best interest.

Soldato
Let's not even get into the absolute financial carnage should your holiday provider cease to exist.

There is a reason why people don't buy bikes with trips to Florida!

Soldato
Let's not even get into the absolute financial carnage should your holiday provider cease to exist.

There is a reason why people don't buy bikes with trips to Florida!

That's another very good point! Why on earth would you put a holiday on finance/loan? Surely just save up for it including spending money? If you can't afford it, go somewhere else cheaper.

Soldato
That's another very good point! Why on earth would you put a holiday on finance/loan? Surely just save up for it including spending money? If you can't afford it, go somewhere else cheaper.

It's not about being able to afford it or not, a credit card gives much more protection for purchases like that. I'd never pay for a holiday with any other type of payment.

Associate
I dont see the difference?
In both scenarios, you are wanting to sell your bike for £3800, so if they pay you cash, you just put it towards your holiday, if you were somehow able to get the buyer to pay your holiday balance, you're just making things incredible awkward.

Soldato
It's not about being able to afford it or not, a credit card gives much more protection for purchases like that. I'd never pay for a holiday with any other type of payment.

I agree, 95% of my expenditure, including bills goes through my amex. Which is cleared off each month. Got to love those points! But financing a holiday through credit agencies is what I was referring to.

When my wife and I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks for our honeymoon. Every single thing we did went on the CC, bar getting cash out for some bars.

Caporegime
I don't get it at all.
It makes absolutely zero sense to do a transaction like this unless you mean it's some kind of finance agreement where they pay your cards balance off for you over X months.

In both cases wtf? No.

I wouldn't even trust a friend to do that on time.

Back
Top Bottom