• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Strange boot loop

Associate
Hi,
I have a very bizzare boot loop problem and it's driving me crazy. It started when I replaced an old GPU with a new one, and then dissapeared when I reversed back to the old one.
Let me start at the beggining. My initial old setup was this:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
CPU: Intel i5-2400, 3.10GHz, 4 cores
GPU: XFX RADEON HD 6870 1Gb
RAM: 4 x 4 Gb Corsair vengance
HDD: WD500
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO
PSU: CHIEFTEC GPS-550A
Monitor: U2412M

Because I couldn't play any newer games, I wanted to breathe some new life into this PC before it got completely outdated. So I got a Sapphire RX 570 4Gb dual pulse and replased the old XFX HD 6870. I did a by-the-book instalation: removed the old driver with DDU, and installed the up-to-date new one for the new GPU. So, everything was working fine for 2 days, and then this problem started happening: I turn on my PC once a day and let it run until the evening when I shut it down. Every 2 or 3 or 4 times I would turn it on, and then a couple of seconds after the first beep and into the first pre-windows screen (I don't know what's it called, it's the screen during which you can get into the BIOS), it would shut down, and then stay that way for 3 or 4 seconds, then turn on again, and then repeat everything. It would keep boot looping forever (probably), but then I shut down the PSU and wait for half a minute and turn it on again. This would resolve the boot loop most of the time, but sometimes I had to repeat it a few times to get past the point of shutdown.
But here's the crazy part: when it would successfuly pass that point of rebooting, the PC would be working just fine. Perfect, that is. I even did a stress test on the GPU, and it worked perfectly. So, there were no issues past that point.
But, sometimes the problem would occure after extended time in sleep mode, but not always.
So, here's what I tried to do, at first:
- tested all the RAM sticks and slots – all were good
- checked all of the power connections – all were good
- blew the dust off, tho there wasn't much of it
- removed the BIOS battery
- updated BIOS to the newest version
All of this didn't resolve the issue. So my conclusion at the time was that it was the PSU. So I replaced it with a brand new Corsair VS550. Still no luck. My final thought was that the GPU was faulty, so I returned it to the store. A month later the e-mailed me that I can chose to have my money back or that they could send another GPU of my choosing. So now I chose XFX RX 570 RS 8GB XXX Edition.
After I installed it, guess what? The same problem started happening again. So I'm out of ideas.
The bottom line is, the problem is kind of random, but statisticaly it happens every 3 to 4 boot ups.
Also, in my opinion, there shouldn't be any reason for a RX 580 not to work with my PC.
Please help.

Permabanned
Another boot loop happened to me before i sent off my 1080 with broke fans. It just loops on the bios screen but it shows the Gigabyte logo which i know i disabled on boot maybe this is a clue its my mobo dying. I too just pulled the power and it booted normally and shows no issues anymore. I just got a 2080ti so im hoping it never comes back. But i do fear my motherboard may die :(

My specs are:
4770k @4.3
Z87 UD4H
16GB 2400mhz 1T Gskill Trident
AX860i

The boot loop happened now twice in 12months roughly, No other issues and a top grade PSU mobo as well here.

Associate
I had a new GPU and it would occasionally throw an error code 'no gpu detected' and stop there. There are any number osf people reporting a similar issue, but no solutions - plenty of suggestions though.
Turned out with a long heavy GPU the issue was the card not being seated in the motherboard at the 'output' end. The other end was perfectly seated, and it seemed the who thing was - but it wasn't!

It might seem a simple thing, but try reseating the card especially at the output end where leverage is not easy.

Back
Top Bottom