Are Eastern European countries racist?

Man of Honour
Yes, you are quite correct. What I have found is that those Slavic countries tend to be way more racist than non Slavic ones. Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania are not Slavic countries but they do have a minority Slavic population 'occupying' them.
My partner told her mum (as a joke) that I was a black Jew before we'd introduced. Her reaction was "Ježíš Maria!!!" :D

Soldato
Yikes! How long ago was this?
Just over 6 years ago. Apparently the parents eventually really liked me quite a lot; once they found out I wasn't a drug dealer. :D I also sang and played for them an old Yugoslavian song I'd learnt which really put me in their good books. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG6ZjrkYaeY

They insisted that they were not racist but knew how terrible it was in their country and sighting the fact that they had Jewish heritage so they understood what it was like to be an oppressed minority. They confessed to me that when they thought it wasn't serious between us they were OK but once they sensed their daughter was getting in too deep their fears took over. Even asking me to break it off with her because she wasn't listening to them.

Soldato
I had a black work colleage who once got accused of being a "witch doctor" by an old lady in Poland during a business trip.

Thata the sort of thing you get there which you dont get in the UK.

Soldato
My partner told her mum (as a joke) that I was a black Jew before we'd introduced. Her reaction was "Ježíš Maria!!!" :D
:D I have so many experiences as a black guy of meeting/dealing with the parents of my white girlfriends, many have been Eastern European. You have to watch the film Get Out, I laughed so hard watching that. Luckily I didn't suffer what he did but damn, I'm lucky to be alive after some encounters. ;)

There really is no comparison between racism here in the U.K. and the Balkans and those Slavic countries like Poland. I maintain that right now in 2019 the U.K. is one of the least racist countries I know of and I've spent time in all the continents excluding ironically Africa. :)

Permabanned
Simple answer, yes because of less non-white people living there.

Racism is always going to be a problem regardless of what country you're in, it's correct to call people out for it but it's never going to disappear.

Well it is the natural system that Earth has a layer cake of melanin production strength. Humans being self defensive over people not looking like the rest of the group is a natural response that kept groups intact and only groups survived our early history thus propogating these genes it probably the cause of these impulsions.

What triggers me is people on the left want to put words like racism on something that far predates thier life, Opinion, And of course thier ideaology. Northern Ireland is the same the migration is extemely low and probably one of the last places in Western Europe to have demographics like these Slavic nations. Also there is normally no hate involved here either which is another scare word like Racism that they use to try to break down peoples instincts.

And you know when you look at Nations that are not harmonious, Or who have groups who have migrated and are not mixed are they happy and united less or more than nations that are the opposite? I personally oppose migration of this sort because it creates hate, Divides nations and goes against the very system laid out for us. It happens everywhere it is not unique to Slavs indeed what about South Africa? What about Arab V Black conflicts in the Sudan? It exists in every race because of the point i first made.

Caporegime
Never encountered it from any Eastern Europeans. A lot of casual racism from Western Europeans. Worst examples of racism I've ever encountered was from Pakistanis and Bangladeshis followed by Nigerians.

Associate
Racism exist in all nations, the only way to minimise it is to educate future generations as it is mainly the older generations that are generally racist.
The media needs to resolve stereotyping and typecasting different backgrounds in certain roles which can help a lot as well.
A lot of footballers from other nations that play in the chinese league get racial abuse aswell so it does exist everywhere, i'm sure even the russian league and other leagues you'll find many more.
I get the odd stare from people when going shopping with the GF as she is british white and i'm chinese, I get the odd "why are you dating someone white" from close family relatives but that is mainly down to language barrier.

Associate
It all depends on your definition of racism. It strikes me that the way the word is used now that almost anything can be racist.

Permabanned
It all depends on your definition of racism. It strikes me that the way the word is used now that almost anything can be racist.

Thats the genius play they made, By infiltrating positions of power to change the definition. If yoi teach people something and make a big fuss out of it people will tow the line.

Example 1 being anti immigration is racism, So how does that work if you just want no one but your own unique social group inhabiting your country. But apparantly its racism. Racism would be selecting migrants based on race and subjecting them to certain things. But thats whats been taught today that any kind of opposition to migration is racism. :)

Soldato
Cue a load of posts from people who met an eastern european once and had a bad experience, I suppose...
I do actually agree with you that the term 'racist' is overused and abused. I have black friends who claimed police were being racist when from my perspective it was them who were at fault and racism had nothing to do with it.

That does not mean that those Balkan countries are not among the most racist you will find.

I am a black guy with 13 years experience of travelling and staying in Eastern European countries. From Estonia all the way down to Bulgaria. My partner, she is Eastern European.

I'm fairly sure a white person sitting behind their keyboard can not tell me that these Slavic countries are not massively, intrinsically, and institutionally racist. Anybody that says that they are not really does not have a clue.

Soldato
Plenty of other countries I would love to visit which are on my list but Russia and Ukraine.....nah.

The only countries I know I will be using my Krav Maga in public soon as I hear the N word said to me.

Soldato
I understand why you would think that but once again, I suspect you're white because if you were a black person it would be very different. Your point is quite correct about it not being seen because there are not many black/mixed race people there. That does not mean it is not there, it just doesn't have a chance to manifest itself so that you or your friends can see it.

Why do you think that any time England plays one of those Balkan countries there is always racist abuse? Because now they have an object on which to manifest their innate racism in the form of black players in the England team. ;)

Nope I'm black/mixed. The balkans in particularly Croatia is one area I have spent a lot of time in and have good friends. Along with Serbians, and Bulgarians.

Football isn't a good example. I expect you'd get more racism at a Chelsea game than you would living and working in most slavic, and other East/South European countries.

Associate
I'm fairly sure a white person sitting behind their keyboard can not tell me that these Slavic countries are not massively, intrinsically, and institutionally racist.

Well, I'm about to, so get ready.

I will tell you how bad it is in the Balkans.
I once had a Serbian girlfriend, she was studying for a PhD and her parents were lecturers so she was quite intelligent. She used to wake up in the night crying from nightmares that her parents found out she was with a black guy. :D
Eventually she did tell them and I started speaking with them and they treated me well (and I wondered what all the fuss was about) but then she wanted to take me to Belgrade. They were terrified that something would happen to me (and her) if I ever came to Serbia and begged her (crying) to break up with me. ;)

I'm struggling to see how you experienced racism here? Your girlfriend was the racist? Her parents? They seemed worried on your behalf you would experience racism, did you go to Serbia and experience something? Probably better to use that as an example then.

Even asking me to break it off with her because she wasn't listening to them.

Apparently her parents then. But not racist enough to stop you in the first place.

Do you really think that that would never happen with the daughter of white british parents?

.....these Slavic countries are not massively, intrinsically, and institutionally racist.

Whoa, quite a big jump there - institutionally racist. How exactly?

I'm fairly sure a white person sitting behind their keyboard can not tell me......

Basically I'm black, you're white so shutup. Can I tell you to stop exaggerating?

I don't dispute that you have experienced racism - it exists everywhere. I've known any number of people from the Balkan states, all of whom I've considered to be decent people and quite frankly I think you're mis-characterising their countries.

Soldato
Well, I'm about to, so get ready....
:D I'm really not going to get into a back and forth diatribe with someone who ostensibly doesn't have much knowledge or experience of the subject at hand.

Is everybody in the Balkans etc racist? Of course not. I have not just taken my own numerous experiences and then just extrapolated to make a generalisation of all these countries. I have spent many hours conversing with people and friends who were born there and lived there and they have informed me of the degree of racism in their particular country. They come from all walks, from lawyers to bartenders. Yet the message has been the same. You could spend years there as a white person and never see it. It won't come looking for you. You spend enough time there as a black person, you don't need to go searching for it as it will eventually find you.

Unsurprisingly you missed the point about my Serbian girlfriend. Her parents paramount fear was that their daughter would suffer due to the embedded racist attitudes that they saw as prevalent in Serbia, just because of her association with me.
My current Eastern European girlfriends parents treat me wonderfully.

My mother came to this country from Jamaica in 1959 on this boat http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1263057. The stories of racism I heard from my her, my aunts and uncles were extraordinary though I suspect that someone like you would say it wasn't really racism but some other leftist construct maybe?

The things is I rather understand the racism they suffered. All of a sudden all these black and asian people start flooding into your neighbourhood... What I found harder to understand is the Slavic racist mentality as they have very few black people in their society.

You may well be like the Bulgarian manager who didn't hear any racists chants even though he was standing next to the UEFA Officials and everyone else who did. Maybe the wind blew them the other way just before they got to his ear drums. If this doesn't indicate to you how institutionalised racists attitudes are then very few things will.

You clearly do not want to accept anybodies view but your own. Until the technology emerges where you can relive my experiences and conversations then I suspect you will cling to them no matter what.

I wish you well.;)

Associate
:D I'm really not going to get into a back and forth diatribe with someone who ostensibly doesn't have much knowledge or experience of the subject at hand.

Apart from living and working with people from that part of the world which is the subject of this thread, including the Balkans, for 10 years. Still, disputes such as this rarely get solved on the internet. Nonetheless, allow me to respond.

Yet the message has been the same. You could spend years there as a white person and never see it. It won't come looking for you. You spend enough time there as a black person, you don't need to go searching for it as it will eventually find you.

You could spend years there as a white person and never talk to anyone and not see it. ....'Massively, intrinsically, and institutionally racist' was the phrase you used, kind of hard to miss don't you think.

Unsurprisingly you missed the point about my Serbian girlfriend. Her parents paramount fear was that their daughter would suffer due to the embedded racist attitudes that they saw as prevalent in Serbia, just because of her association with me.

I'm afraid you missed mine. My point being how did you experience racism here - somebody else thought you might, but you never explained how that manifested itself, if at all.

My mother came to this country from Jamaica in 1959 on this boat http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1263057. The stories of racism I heard from my her, my aunts and uncles were extraordinary though I suspect that someone like you would say it wasn't really racism but some other leftist construct maybe?

Someone like me? Like who exactly? I have no idea how you formed this conclusion from my posts. You need to go easy on those wild inductive leaps. I have no doubt that the Windrush generation experienced terrible racism when they arrived, and to a certain extent still do to this day. You seem to steering dangerously close to the rather tired trope of crying racism simply to shut down any debate.

You may well be like the Bulgarian manager who didn't hear any racists chants even though he was standing next to the UEFA Officials and everyone else who did.

What? Where did I claim there were no racist chants at that football game? But I see where you're going with this - I disagree with you therefore I must be like the (presumably) racist football manager.
Again - 'massively, intrinsically, and institutionally racist. - your words. A football manager is not an institute, nor does he appear to represent one, UEFA for example. And you have provided nothing to back up those words.

I understand that a number of football fans where arrested after the event. The police are an institution.

You clearly do not want to accept anybodies view but your own. Until the technology emerges where you can relive my experiences and conversations then I suspect you will cling to them no matter what.

I respect your opinion and experience but it is just that, yours only. I will form my opinions based on a variety of sources including the opinions of others (pural).
Why is your experience more valid than this gentlemens?

Nope I'm black/mixed. The balkans in particularly Croatia is one area I have spent a lot of time in and have good friends. Along with Serbians, and Bulgarians.

Football isn't a good example. I expect you'd get more racism at a Chelsea game than you would living and working in most slavic, and other East/South European countries.

Finally, and again, you used the phrase - 'massively, intrinsically, and institutionally racist'. You're going to have to come up with a better justification that simply because I say so.

I wish you well.;)

Likewise. Genuinely.

Associate
Which grounds have you experienced it at? I regularly go to both PL and lower league games and have never heard anything.

I have heard some very unsavoury things as an away fan at Stamford Bridge and the London Stadium.
As ever, it’s important to say it’s a very small monitory, but they’re there, unsavoury, and seemingly allowed to continue to do it without any implications from the stewards or clubs in question.

Caporegime
I imagine it's because the UK actually tries to keep most of it's hooligans from travelling to games, there might be a bias there in "not hearing things".

Soldato
I have heard some very unsavoury things as an away fan at Stamford Bridge and the London Stadium.
As ever, it’s important to say it’s a very small monitory, but they’re there, unsavoury, and seemingly allowed to continue to do it without any implications from the stewards or clubs in question.
I've had a season ticket at a London Premier League/Championship club on and off for the last 20 years. Things are a lot better now than even 20 years ago, and things 20 years ago were much better than the 70s or 80s, which were like Bulgaria.

I couldn't actually tell you the last time I heard anything racist, and even 'gay' chants towards Brighton are frowned upon now. Things are a lot better.

Associate
I've had a season ticket at a London Premier League/Championship club on and off for the last 20 years. Things are a lot better now than even 20 years ago, and things 20 years ago were much better than the 70s or 80s, which were like Bulgaria.

I couldn't actually tell you the last time I heard anything racist, and even 'gay' chants towards Brighton are frowned upon now. Things are a lot better.

Whilst I agree things are better than they were 20 years ago, I think things have got worse in the last 3-4 years.

Soldato
Whilst I agree things are better than they were 20 years ago, I think things have got worse in the last 3-4 years.

I've just looked at the stats released about racist incidents in the PL grounds in the North West and the numbers seem fairly consistent for the last few years. No idea if there is any correlation but I've had a season ticket at Goodison for around 15 years and the only time I remember seeing any real trouble was when an Eastern European club came over a few years ago. The other NW clubs have a higher amount of incidents reported, but all play in Europe much more regularly.

Back
Top Bottom