Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
HL have actually become what they made a success of replacing. Their innovation has stagnated somewhat in recent years, and their customers are rapidly waking up to the fact that their charges are hugely expensive.

They're big enough to change direction and continue to innovate, but they're also big enough to be hindered by their existing customer base revenues. The reprice is all about trying to open up new forward looking opportunities.

There is a growing regulatory risk falling out from some unassociated but relevant legal action going on in the SIPP industry. They're defensive at the moment. Woodford is only a small part of that.

Soldato
Woodford is buying FT100 companies, because thats the strategy back to liquidity apparently. Probably for the best and I like Lloyds too so I presume he is still savant though he read something badly wrong in the market I guess. Years ago I can remember someone criticizing his like for small companies.

This video has some interesting graphs about the big picture view, also on liquidity I think that could be said to be.

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/news/shares/games-maker-codemasters-confident-of-full-year-guidance

Last edited:
Associate
Glad I steered clear of Woodford funds as was seriously considering one of the income funds think it was. The returns looked good in past and management fee wasn’t too high.

I read one reason somewhere that people were actively heavily shorting stocks held by Woodford funds knowing he held onto his stocks long term. Don’t quite know how that would work out?

Funnily enough woodfords funds listed assets will be managed by Blackrock. They had probably made fortune shorting the stocks already.

Soldato
Sirius Minerals. Invest £5k now and pay off your mortgage in 5 to 10 years or a nice pension pot etc.

Sirius is an internet poster favourite - Ramp it up all the time on various internet forums , it then plummets, nothing gets said and all those invested in it that are trying to recover money suggest buying in now as it's a "great deal"

Stay well clear.

Soldato
Sirius is an internet poster favourite - Ramp it up all the time on various internet forums , it then plummets, nothing gets said and all those invested in it that are trying to recover money suggest buying in now as it's a "great deal"

Stay well clear.

This sounds exactly like Xcite Energy, which I got my fingers burnt with.

Lots of online hype, and people tipping the great turnaround was just round the corner. But it never came out, and the company folded. Sirius looks exactly the same.

Associate
Sirius - seen so many different figures for their financing package needed

Think shareholders were already diluted in summer, expect another.

400 million bond pulled
2 billion financing from JPM required above bond.
asked government for 2 billion finance package (refused)
Asked government for 1 billion guaranteed bond (refused)

Think it said will run out of money end of September or end of January after scaling down operations if no funding secured.

On flip side if mine does get built it probably will be profitable. Trouble is who will it be earning for? Probably not the current 85,000 private shareholders who will be heavily diluted.

I feel for anyone who bought in hype in the 40s or 20s.

I was going to pull trigger at 5p years ago (missed all the flying up to 40s) was kicking myself, but then have equally avoided the nosediving since those lofty highs.

Even after so much volatility in price, if all funding does get secured it could fly again ,still one I keep eye on. Massive risk with no funding though.

Caporegime
I feel for anyone who bought in hype in the 40s or 20s.

I don't, if they were sensible then they'd have only risked a small part of their portfolio so meh... it is one of many positions and no real damage done.

If they weren't sensible and took a big punt then they've learned a valuable lesson, hopefully they're young and no real damage done either.

If they were old/close to retirement and went all in on some penny stock... well they had no business at all risking significant sums in something like this. Should have been in bonds mostly at that age.

It isn't like there aren't plenty of risk warnings about this stuff either - every UK broker will have warned clients about investing in stuff like this, even the "FSA registered" spank shops back when the then FSA was utterly useless would give risk warning about this stuff... despite actively flogging the most dodgy AIM shares possible.

It's dropped 4x in value since January this year :/

Pls don't discourage him from posting - just short whatever he recommends buying :D

@rubberduck can you post this stuff a bit earlier too :)

Caporegime
Woodford's Income Focus fund has been closed for withdrawals today. How the 'mighty' have fallen.

I noticed loads of past articles on HL that had been bigging him up no longer exist now. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Well that’s a much bigger US company!

LOL tbh its likely smarter to scale into Intel over the next five or two years then the cliff dive risks required for SXX to take off. I know someone who held PCT since launch, 25 year white knuckles turned out ok. A load of us on xtremesystems forum had a thread on INTC back in 2007 and then everything crashed but it still wasnt wrong to be a buyer. Those who reinvested dividends even through the lows really did achieve about the best performance to risk possible I reckon.

I want SXX to suceed and I cant see why they shouldnt be backed, maybe some miracle occurs in some post brexit snap back or maybe we sell off in every market till year end. They have a hard fight, I think its worth a bet but 'put 5k on it' is only valid for money you have to burn. The bond holders I guess will do best, JPM wasnt offering out of pure kindness they see a nice return possible and if it fails they'll sell the equipment and every asset. Its actual solid deposit, even in failure it'd be a solid asset so I cant see why they wouldnt get backing as there is security there. They arent off on a wild goose chase trying for oil in the horn of Africa, theres been worse risks I've taken then this for sure. Agriculture is going to be in demand, if it is then theres money out there interested but maybe it takes 20 years to arrive.

Speaking of 2008, this long term commentator makes a good point that its only ever 20/20 in hindsight
https://youtu.be/bL1EuhFS_u4?t=136

Woodford did just fine ten years ago, he should have stuck to that or gone to a hedge fund perhaps. Michael Burry who called housing debt out had to lock his fund and lost lots of money before realising a good profit.

Associate
It's odd with INTU, because when I actually go to one of their properties (E.g. Trafford Centre) it's almost always rammed with very very few empty retail units and they seem well run shopping centres.

Ninja edit, I did a while back question about exiting Linsdell Train after the woodford mess, I actually did sell, and saved myself a 5% drop :D

Back
Top Bottom